2018 Melbourne International Hi-Fi Show - Reports & Feedback

9 hours ago, wikeeboy said:

Just goes to show how differently we all hear music. Maybe it was just the record i heard, but i thought the Kharma setup was very average, nothing special at all especially considering the price tag.

The Kharma was very good but I reckon the SGR MT3.2 could match it at one third the price of the Kharma speakers and mono blocks.

Other highlights was the Holton/Hulgich setup which showed how complementary they are and of course the mind blowing Krix Atmos setup which would literally need a gold bar brick to pay for!!!  Will listen to my Mad Max Fury Road later today to see how inadequate it is in comparison. 

For some reason, the VAF room didn't do anything for me and the Chord TT2 setup was disappointing. Would have liked to listen to the Anthem Integrated setup with and without room correction but the guy didn't have the remote.

Overall, had a good enjoyable day.

Just saw Bill at breakfast this morning (he happened to be at the next table).

Reminded me again of what a delightful, warm and friendly room his room was.

Great atmosphere - really family.

Goes to show that the HiFi show is not just about hearing great expensive gear,

But it is also about enjoying yourself in a wonderful relaxed environment.

Thanks Bill!

Yes, I will be back again today.

Highly recommended.

Bruce

• Like 3

I went yesterday. Show was good with the highlights for me being the Yamaha setup provided by Carlton Audio very clear crisp sound as well as the impressive SGR setup. The main reason for attending was to hear the Krix setup (I'm more into multi channel) and it was impressive, but 25mins was taken up with an introduction from the French guy representing Trinnov and only about 10mins (2 demo clips). I thought the Superman vs Batman clip wasn't as impressive to me and not a great choice but the clip from Unbroken was simply incredible. I would have like to hear a more modern Atmos track like the car race from Ready Player One or perhaps the tank battle scene from Fury but I l know their time restricted and the list goes on.

It was a good day starting with the Motorclassica then finishing with the HiFi Show. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

For some reason, the VAF room didn't do anything for me

Me too.  I think it's because they were running two systems in the same room at the same time with only a curtain separating half the room.  I found it too distracting.  I felt they had to at least have the two systems back to back facing away from each other, or run one system at a time and switch from time to time.

25 minutes ago, SimonNo10 said:

The main reason for attending was to hear the Krix setup (I'm more into multi channel) and it was impressive, but 25mins was taken up with an introduction from the French guy representing Trinnov and only about 10mins (2 demo clips). I 

You may have gone to the earlier one, but the 2 pm had a shorter intro and 4 demo clips, first one being the impressive Dolby demo (can't remember name) of a leaf falling, a quiet piece highlighting the distinct channels. Also Mad Max Fury Road which showed up details that I have not heard before. Agree Batman vs Superman was not that good, just loud. Unbroken was excellent.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

I am a minnow in this hifi world. I went yesterday with a mate and it was a good experience. I was there to check out stand mounters and as a result we couldn't tear ourselves  away from the Osborn Eos Reference. Ticked all my boxes. In fact my mate looks like downgrading his Krix Neuphonix to Eos to suit his room. Enjoyed briefly the Yamaha 5000's and the SGR room.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Me too.  I think it's because they were running two systems in the same room at the same time with only a curtain separating half the room.  I found it too distracting.  I felt they had to at least have the two systems back to back facing away from each other, or run one system at a time and switch from time to time.

I thought the room lacked presence. It felt like a JB Hifi with a more space rather than something to highlight the music and equipment. Agree not enough thought had gone into the setup and how they should present it.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

I don’t think any room sounded particularly bad, they all were nice.

It just show you can put together a decent system at any budget.

There will be personal preferences but overall they are all amazing, Audio has come a long way.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kaynin said:

Yeah they were amazingly good, especially considering the price.

Yes they certainly stack up well. The sound stage kept following me around the room. This is a bit cliched but Hotel California had me looking around for the Eagles, sadly not in the room but my goodness.!! Think the other big point is who you are buying from. Impressed me as very grounded and passionate folk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

You may have gone to the earlier one, but the 2 pm had a shorter intro and 4 demo clips, first one being the impressive Dolby demo (can't remember name) of a leaf falling, a quiet piece highlighting the distinct channels. Also Mad Max Fury Road which showed up details that I have not heard before. Agree Batman vs Superman was not that good, just loud. Unbroken was excellent.

We got into the 3.30pm one. They played the Leaf demo, Superman and Unbroken. I wanted to hear Mad Max and John Wick (rain scene). Defiantly would have liked to hear A Quiet Place that’s superb for bass.  

Edited by SimonNo10

I've always found that the sound on Saturday and Sunday to be better than the sound on Friday.  I hope that applies to this year as well.  

On the whole, I found the sound disappointing on Friday.  Mostly the sound was too dry and flat.  There were some which could play music.  Kii sounded good.  I expect the sound to improve immensely over the next two days. 

I don't piss in anyone's pocket.  

Hi

yes had a really good listen in that room and was most impressed

Listened to the stand mounts and the big three ways -  both excellent  -   Holton amps  were doing a very good job too I think.

I also noticed  the configuration had changed  from the website Astor model.

The big three-way in the room was around 18 K so maybe it’s a different model to the Astor possibly a new model.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, sakabatou said:

I was somewhat bemused that they chose to play nothing but vinyl through the Kii 3

No, they swapped back and forth from vinyl to digital for each track. And both sources were very good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gieseler Audio said:

I also noticed  the configuration had changed  from the website Astor model.

The big three-way in the room was around 18 K so maybe it’s a different model to the Astor possibly a new model.

They're a new model they were going to have completed just in time for the show.

• Like 1