Currently Spinning

Little_Red_-_Midnight_Remember.jpg

First listen tonight. It's odd to hear Flaming Lips and Beatles influences in the same album and having three vocalists doesn't help the new listener ease into the album.  There are some good interesting songs here.  I may end up slicing and dicing it into EPs sequenced by songwriter (also known as How I got to grips with Tusk) or by singer (How I got to grips with Rising above Bedlam) or by ballads vs rockers (How I got to grips with The River). Anyway, first impression is it's worth grappling with.

@brownemi dropped around for some tunes tonight. We covered Destroyer, Kurt Vile, War On Drugs, Ben Webster, Shining Bird, Cure, Massive Attack, Richard Hawley, Japan, Mark Hollis, Fischer-Z and Bad Bad Not Good. I think that's most of them. Great tunes accompanied by some Aus Pinot (Punt Road and Sew and Sew) plus pizza. Not a bad Monday night in anyone's book. I'm now listening to the Pink Floyd Meddle recent reissue. I think it sounds amazing (maybe that's the Bowmore 15 Darkest talking). I have an early UK plus original Aus pressing. Echoes sounds so eerie, haunting, almost scary. So hard to pick my fav PF album. DSOTM, WYWH and Meddle all vie for the top spot.
910d38ff6492b28509a2fdd0e23b7f38.jpg

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Viognier said:

@brownemi dropped around for some tunes tonight. We covered Destroyer, Kurt Vile, War On Drugs, Ben Webster, Shining Bird, Cure, Massive Attack, Richard Hawley, Japan, Mark Hollis, Fischer-Z and Bad Bad Not Good. I think that's most of them. Great tunes accompanied by some Aus Pinot (Punt Road and Sew and Sew) plus pizza. Not a bad Monday night in anyone's book. I'm now listening to the Pink Floyd Meddle rnt reissue. I think it sounds amazing (maybe that's the Bowmore 15 Darkest talking). I have an early UK plus original Aus pressing. Echoes sounds so eerie, haunting, almost scary. So hard to pick my fav PF album. DSOTM, WYWH and Meddle all vie for the top spot.
910d38ff6492b28509a2fdd0e23b7f38.jpg

Thanks Mark for the evening, long overdue but always very enjoyable and educational.  

I cant believe Shining Bird had slipped under my radar, a very good mix of Australian retro. 

Bowmore's!! Will leave the car at home next time! Cheers

• Like 1

Marillion-Somewhere Else. I'm a big Marillion fan but every time I play this album I think it's rubbish. Maybe one day it will gel so I keep on giving it a go but as of today i still think it's rubbish.

Marillion.jpg

[emoji44] don't let Batty know you said that. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

@Viognier  Curse you and your camera! That looks so noir I'm expecting  a puff of smoke and Humphrey Gokart to poke his mug round the corner.

Some nice music played too.:thumb:

Iphone and a b&w filter@luc. No fancy camera. After the PF I was playing some very late night/early morning atmospheric tunes (Blanck Mass and Dawn of Midi) that the b&w suited.

• Like 3

The past couple of days have included along with quite a bit of Lenny,

1. Tord Gustavsen, With Simin Tander & Jarle Vespestad: What Was Said

Not the usual Tord, Simin vocals lifts this album and her Germanic/Arabic influence is evident. But as per all Tord's other albums Jarle's drums augment his music.

Frankly, some ECM titles are a snooze fest (sorry ECM fans) but this one is achingly beautiful, made so by the superb vocals.

What was said.JPG

2. Gundelach  - Thanks to Y B, a new artist and yes a bit like a cross between Bon Iver and James Blake!gunerlach.JPG

3. NIRVANA - Nevermind 20th Anniversary Edition

Best avoided, as this is a piss poor mastering. :( despite the excellent music.

nevermind 20th.jpg

4 . Nick Cave - Abbattoir Blues

Some of his best work, in the top five anyhow.

Abbatoir Blues.jpg

• Like 8

Crowded House and Together Alone.  original Aussie and UK pressings. Sound superb.  

Remember seeing Crowded House @ local dive Brookvale pub about 6 months before Don't Dream Its over came a hit in the US.  always loved Paul Hester's tight lean drum sound and live it sounded the way - RIP

30904561932_151bd18f37_b.jpg

• Like 5