Currently Spinning

44 minutes ago, Metamatic said:

Leonard Cohen - 10 new songs - of the few I own, my fav.

30910793016_f61d7799d2_b.jpg

Until the release of his last stunning album, this has been also my favourite LC. Time will tell whether You Want It Darker stays on top.

And digital and all, I really love the Music On Vinyl release of Ten New Songs. A cracker, IMO. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, soundfan said:

Until the release of his last stunning album, this has been also my favourite LC. Time will tell whether You Want It Darker stays on top.

And digital and all, I really love the Music On Vinyl release of Ten New Songs. A cracker, IMO. :)

the original US pressings sound nice.

in keeping with the lazy Sunday arvo feel - Kings of Convenience

30912375736_0ddcfd9a56_b.jpg

• Like 2

Giant Sand: Chore Of Enchantment

A cracker of an album from Howe Gelb and co, one of their best.

Sadly they disbanded not long back.

Get your head in the sand.

R-2068846-1431287928-6105.jpeg.jpg

Taken from this excellent release titled The Sun Set Vol 1, which contains six of their albums:

a1636665217_16.jpg

https://giantsandmusic.bandcamp.com/album/the-sun-set-vol-1

Edited by soundfan
incorrect
  • Like 3

Giant Sand: Center Of The Universe

Another excellent Giant Sand album. While their music is deeply infused with strains of country, folk jazz and blues, there is no obsession with rootsy authenticity.

Giant Sand can be electric and acoustic, or noisy and chaotic.

Having Joe Burns and John Convertino ( from Calexico)  on a lot of their earlier albums certainly didn't hurt either.

MI0002239316.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

• Like 1

I just purchased this 2 LP vinyl version on bandcamp, but the purchase allowed me to download a copy too.

Wow, a stunning effort, and apart from Howe Gelb's charms, he has that great choir backing him, and the superb slide guitar from Fred Guignion.

Howe-Gelb-Sno-Angel-Like-You.jpg?fit=834

• Like 2

I've come here for a flogging. Not one iota of music listened too this weekend unless you count Friday evening as the weekend.

I'm prepared for a bollocking. I have little to say in my defence.

I do have this ready to listen though>> BRO-MORGAN-CHRISTENSEN-GEFION-VINYL-LP-NEW

No idea what it is but looking forward to it.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Luc said:

I've come here for a flogging. Not one iota of music listened too this weekend unless you count Friday evening as the weekend.

I'm prepared for a bollocking. I have little to say in my defence.

I do have this ready to listen though>> BRO-MORGAN-CHRISTENSEN-GEFION-VINYL-LP-NEW

No idea what it is but looking forward to it.

I'm tipping you'll like it @Luc . Like you I've done little listening for the past few days. A blocked left ear makes the world sound like an underwater adventure. Alas, not good for audiophiles. 

• Like 1

On ?10?/?11?/?2016 at 6:00 PM, Jakeyb77 said:

Love this album 16070805ae99acac5495cd0117b4d419.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks...for bringing this album to my attention, as Indeed its awesome, was playing it last night...and spinning it again now, great vocals, guitar, and didgeridoo too...:thumb:  Might have to take a look at his other albums too...

• Like 2

Guest jakeyb77
2 hours ago, Bass13 said:

Thanks...for bringing this album to my attention, as Indeed its awesome, was playing it last night...and spinning it again now, great vocals, guitar, and didgeridoo too...:thumb:  Might have to take a look at his other albums too...

Spirit Bird and Nana are good... I like them all to be honest.  First saw Xavier at Byron many moons ago playing solo.  Weird, I've seen him on footpaths playing, to opening for Dave Matthews band and even his own gigs like The Palais.  If I want to feel better I put on Follow The Sun and I feel better instantly.

47 minutes ago, Jakeyb77 said:

Spirit Bird and Nana are good... I like them all to be honest.  First saw Xavier at Byron many moons ago playing solo.  Weird, I've seen him on footpaths playing, to opening for Dave Matthews band and even his own gigs like The Palais.  If I want to feel better I put on Follow The Sun and I feel better instantly.

Will check them out for sure,..Thanks again... :thumb:

I'm starting to find out, this thread is costing me a fortune in vinyl...so many more I want to get.... :(

• Like 1

Howe Gelb/A Band of Gypsies: Alegrias

CD

Continuing my Howe Gelb bent of recent times, Here he teams up with a band titled A Band of Gypsies who he came across while looking for Flamenco while in Spain. Also contains a couple of re-worked Giant Sand tunes.

Tasty stuff.

MI0003164187.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

• Like 2

Rush-Grace Under Pressure.

I remember first hearing this when I bought it on release in '84 and being disappointed comparing it to their previous 2 albums. There was no Spirit Of Radio or Tom Sawyer to draw me in but over the years this has grown on me to be one of my favourite Rush albums and each decent upgrade in my hifi has really brought out the sonic qualities of the album.

Rush.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Hergest said:

Rush-Grace Under Pressure. 

This and " SIGNALS" are a pair. These were also the two that got the knives out from the purists who resented the prominence of keyboards in the arrangements, conveniently forgetting what an inspired keyboard player Geddy was. I often wonder if they had not suffered this backlash, what subsequent albums may have sounded like. 

These two albums were the most richly orchestrated, and sonically impressive sets they did ( yes- more consistent than MOVING PICTURES".)

I also suspect the problem with the later albums, with the chronic compression issues, stem from the rejection of the rich dynamics found here.

Billy.

Rush.jpg

• Like 3

Horslips-Dancehall Sweethearts. This record features the oddest recording of any brass section you are likely to come across. On first listening you wonder what on earth is making that parping noise. Great lp non the less.

Horslips.jpg

• Like 1

To Top