Harmony Remote Control Owners & Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, richardnau said:

I have a faulty Elite - the touch screen has failed. Display still works, but can't get any touch response, and can't get past the 'this is how it works' screen that appears following factory reset.

Thats a downer ; reminds me why Rotel ditched their front panel osd on the 1098 pre  pro Rotel RSP-1098 A/V Preamp/Processor | Sound & Vision (soundandvision.com) ; just flakes after awhile when using ; pressing a touchscreen . Strange place for transport controls indeed ; my  650;s have better ergonomics and less pressing on its dinky touchscreen :$

On 27/03/2021 at 5:16 PM, richardnau said:

I have a faulty Elite - the touch screen has failed. Display still works, but can't get any touch response, and can't get past the 'this is how it works' screen that appears following factory reset.

Anyway, have been having discussion with Logitech, pointing out that not having spare parts or repair services for the product fails to meet their obligations under Australian Consumer Law. As my unit is out of warranty, I proposed to purchase from them a replacement at a discounted price (which I would deem a satisfactory response by way of meeting their obligations).

Long story short, they said they can't do that because the Elite is 'end of life', out of stock and won't be coming back. Very sad.

I have managed to acquire a Harmony Ultimate One (Amazon Oz) and paired it with my existing Hub. It's all working, but whoever thought that placing the play/pause (and other transport) controls at the top of the device - above the sensitive touch screen - must have been smoking something pretty iffy.

This is really disappointing by Logitech - based on all the posts above it sounds like they are indeed discontinuing the Harmony remotes; are not providing reasonable ongoing service for existing owners; and are staying as quiet as possible about their decision in the hope that remaining stock sells out to unknowing customers.

Will definitely be something I keep in mind next time I have a decision between a Logitech product or a competitor's.

• Administrator

That's the NEEO which was super sweet, and threatened to kill off Logitech IMO - then Control4 saw the same potential and swooped on it. Now it's only available as part of a C4 system :(

• Like 1

On 02/02/2021 at 4:44 PM, Marc said:

I found a heap of old Harmony remote threads, merged them, and pinned it as a Users Thread. 
I'm sure it will come in handy for all the Harmony fans out there (myself included).

Thanks, Marc.  :thumb:

I'm hoping someone can help me with the problem I am having with my Harmony 650.

I programmed it a couple of years ago to control 2 devices:

1.  My 8-channel volume device:

• volume up & down and Mute, and
  • balance control.

2.  My miniDSP unit:

• change the stored configuration.

I forget what I had to do to achieve this but it was pretty simple - and something to do with:

• logging onto 'My Harmony'
  • plugging the Harmony remote into my PC, and
  • selecting 'Sony TV' as the device.

Everything had been working fine - until a couple of weekends ago ... when it stopped having an effect on my 2 devices.  I can no longer change volume with the Harmony 650 and can't change the stored config, either!  :(

Can anyone advise how to get it working again?

Thanks,

Andy

21 minutes ago, andyr said:

Thanks, Marc.  :thumb:

I'm hoping someone can help me with the problem I am having with my Harmony 650.

I programmed it a couple of years ago to control 2 devices:

1.  My 8-channel volume device:

• volume up & down and Mute, and
  • balance control.

2.  My miniDSP unit:

• change the stored configuration.

I forget what I had to do to achieve this but it was pretty simple - and something to do with:

• logging onto 'My Harmony'
  • plugging the Harmony remote into my PC, and
  • selecting 'Sony TV' as the device.

Everything had been working fine - until a couple of weekends ago ... when it stopped having an effect on my 2 devices.  I can no longer change volume with the Harmony 650 and can't change the stored config, either!  :(

Can anyone advise how to get it working again?

I assume you have changed the batteries? 

Procedure is correct, login to My Harmony and change device and/or activities.  When you connect the Harmony to the PC, top right corner should change colour and you can then download to Harmony,

1 hour ago, Marc said:

That's the NEEO which was super sweet, and threatened to kill off Logitech IMO - then Control4 saw the same potential and swooped on it. Now it's only available as part of a C4 system :(

Yep and a hell of a sticker price jump from what their price was before the acquisition as a result.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I assume you have changed the batteries? 

Hah - I thought you'd solved the problem there, Snoop ... but after I replaced the batteries (with ones from a recently-bought pack) and tried changing the volume again ... there was no change.  :(

45 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Procedure is correct, login to My Harmony and change device and/or activities.  When you connect the Harmony to the PC, top right corner should change colour and you can then download to Harmony,

Mmmm, when I plugged in the Harmony 650, the top right 'Sync' button remained yellow - but the colour changed to blue after I clicked on the button.  Couldn't see any evidence of any activity happening - either on my PC screen or the Harmony 650 screen???

Then I decided to change the USB cable - and this time I saw something happening when I pressed Sync.  Yay!  :thumb:

Thanks very much for your assistance, Snoop - I think my problem was basically caused by low batteries ... but it seems the device needs a 're-Sync' after the batteries are changed.

Andy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, andyr said:

Thanks very much for your assistance, Snoop - I think my problem was basically caused by low batteries ... but it seems the device needs a 're-Sync' after the batteries are changed.

Can usually change batteries and no need for re-sync.  I suspect your battery was really low...  Anyway, good to hear everything has ended up well.

1 hour ago, bazzle said:

This one maybe an option to look at?

https://tinyurl.com/ygzy792n

Looks like an interesting device, but probably pretty clunky software implementation by comparison. (And it's not like there aren't some clunks in the Harmony system...)

I've always liked the idea of a scroll/click selector. I am totally sick of accidentally 'pushing' the central touch screen of the Harmony Ultimate One...

• Administrator

That's really interesting, and "Harmony" inspired in more ways than one. I wonder if perhaps some sort of patent has expired and Logitech see a not so fruitful future for their remotes. Just speculating of course.

• Administrator

:( I had a feeling there was some substance to the speculation.

I wouldn't worry toooo much. Those in the know would already be working on filling the void left here.
My money is on Amazon. An Alexa 'Mote. :)

11 minutes ago, Marc said:

Here's an affordable potential contender?

http://www.sofabaton.com/u1.html

Well, it is cheap but it’s not a patch on a hub enabled elite. The hub as an IR blaster was such a game change in terms of the Harmony performance.

I really hope someone else gets properly into this market or Control4 make their controller available in a semi standalone setup again.

I wanted a control4 setup to replace just what my Elite does and was getting no spare change out of $2800 when I was quoted.

ive got no interest in Alexa or anything else like that in this house. Just a reliable, intuitive common remote control interface please.

• Like 1

• Administrator

Coincidence, or .... ?

Trying to make some changes to my Harmony config this morning, and once I edit an Activity I just get the "Connecting to Harmony Servers" message and it just times out. :(

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, BugPowderDust said:

Well, it is cheap but it’s not a patch on a hub enabled elite. The hub as an IR blaster was such a game change in terms of the Harmony performance.

As a starting point though - they've got the database and the infrastructure already. They've recently released two additional platform specific remotes.

Logi had this market completely sewn up. As a manufacturer you really wouldn't have thought taking on Logitech would be possible but now ...

Reminds me of how they just abruptly quite the Squeezebox market. Guess there's just more money in computer peripherals. :(

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Coincidence, or .... ?

Trying to make some changes to my Harmony config this morning, and once I edit an Activity I just get the "Connecting to Harmony Servers" message and it just times out. :(

Aah, that's no good, Marc.  :(

Try again tomorrow - maybe it's a temporary outage?

Andy

On 11/04/2021 at 8:44 AM, Marc said:

Here's an affordable potential contender?

http://www.sofabaton.com/u1.html

Yes that one looks interesting. I was hoping given it had bluetooth it'd be able to control the Apple TV bluetooth like the Harmony can, but no luck.

The documentation / help on hem scarce too. I haven't seen doco on how to setup activities etc