Harmony Remote Control Owners & Discussion Thread

From what I read in the article, Logitech have stated that they are not discontinuing them, or did I misread that? It seems to be just a bunch of people having their orders cancelled due to lack of stock and have decided they must be getting out of the business.

blonk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marc said:

The concern with the higher end Harmony remotes is they are all cloud based. It's a worry that those services might not continue.

Surely they have an obligation to provide ongoing support, last I heard you could still operate the Squeezebox even years after being discontinued. 

Often alternative support systems pop up, to provide functionality. 

But I'm beyond surprised they've dropped their remotes, couldn't imagine going back to the mundane task of switching everything on individually!

Perhaps too many people were daunted at the task of setting them up, and they took the easy option of withdrawing from the market.

• Administrator
58 minutes ago, blonk said:

Logitech have stated that they are not discontinuing them

Other sources (supposedly an employee) said they were scaling back and winding up the remote division. Apparently there was some further discussion on Reddit.

I wonder if the built in-automation coming from E-ARC interfaces  has anything too do with it. . I noticed using e-ARC in the family room, the  TV remote will also control other  attached devices such as Apple TV and sound bar without any intervention on the users part.   The projector and theatre equipment are a different story 

As it stands,  Logitech seem to be the only ones  providing  an  affordable alternative to   the expensive custom solutions. .   I sincerely hope they can continue.

Amazon Au has a listing which said discontinued

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0038OMEQI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_4TYERGRF4F3EWD3Q8CYG

But another which is still available

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0771KKT7Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_5M6M6MMYB4VFV31FWRX1

Given my unit is at least 5 years old, I bought one to keep me going as long as the cloud service remains running...

• Volunteer

I ordered a replacement yesterday for my destroyed bedroom one, hopefully they'll at least keep the online support going even if they don't make them anymore.

• Like 1

I’ve been waiting for the Elite to go on sale. Bought one for the theatre room, set it up in the Tv room so everyone got used to it, now it’s so popular the family want one for both rooms! Risky if the cloud service goes though, and I’m reluctant to pay the rrp, especially now.

6 hours ago, blonk said:

From what I read in the article, Logitech have stated that they are not discontinuing them, or did I misread that? It seems to be just a bunch of people having their orders cancelled due to lack of stock and have decided they must be getting out of the business.

blonk

Yes covid has ravaged many supply lines ; just as an example Anthem with there new model introduction ;not to mention the price hikes of  other ce's .  Remember too oppo continued support for their players for ages afterwards [and still do? ]

Logitech has responded saying, “Please be informed that, we are continuing manufacturing and support of Harmony. The stock levels is [sic] likely due to distribution and logistics, but customer support is not able to confirm.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cwt said:

Yes covid has ravaged many supply lines ; just as an example Anthem with there new model introduction ;not to mention the price hikes of  other ce's .  Remember too oppo continued support for their players for ages afterwards [and still do? ]

I got support last year from Oppo's contractor in Melbourne. 

On 06/03/2021 at 1:16 PM, TP1 said:

wonder if the built in-automation coming from E-ARC interfaces  has anything too do with it. . I noticed using e-ARC in the family room, the  TV remote will also control other  attached devices such as Apple TV and sound bar without any intervention on the users part.

I'm not sure about eARC,   but I've found HDMI CEC has negated the need for harmony remote for some devices.   

Also,   my Fetch TV remote has basic 'universal remote' capability built in,   so it can switch TV on and change inputs.  

and then there's the fact that  most music and video is from from streaming platforms meaning relatively few people need to control multiple devices.         

It's a shame to see them going,  but I reckon their days were numbered.    

I'm a long term user - and can't find anything else that does what my Elite system does. Sadly, the touch screen on my Elite has died, and I can't seem to resurrect it. It's a few years old, and outside the 'manufacturer's warranty'. I'm happy to pay for it to be fixed or to buy the part and do it myself. Logitech's 'help' service advises that there are no repairers or spare parts sources in Oz. I have politely reminded them of their responsibilities under Australian Consumer Law. Let's see if that stirs them into action! If I have to replace it, it would be a damn shame to find that I can't!

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, manchu said:

I've found HDMI CEC has negated the need for harmony remote for some devices.   

Unfortunately CEC doesn't always play nicely and I find it a big pain in the butt, I turn it off on everything and use my Harmony  Elite remotes in the main and bedroom systems.

44 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Unfortunately CEC doesn't always play nicely and I find it a big pain in the butt, I turn it off on everything and use my Harmony  Elite remotes in the main and bedroom systems.

Indeed Kazz ; CEC is tied into ARC and every CE has different proprietary interpretations of it like digilink;vieralink; anynet etc . If ARC was reliable hdmi.org wouldnt have replaced it with E-ARC :)

Guest Old Man Rubber

I couldn't operate without the harmony in the lounge - would never go back to shuffling remote controls and nobody in the house could get everything to work without it.

Perhaps they should start charging for access to the cloud system, the real value they have built up is in that huge database of remote controls.  I'd be happy to pay a fee for continued access if it meant the service lasted longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... maybe that’s why I cannot find the Harmony Pro 2400 anywhere on line, even an Elite

Although from what I have read the 2400 is only availability through installers? 

Can anyone point me in the right direction...or should I consider another option, 

Tired of fumbling with remotes it’s driving me bonkers...

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Andy0217 said:

Hmmm... maybe that’s why I cannot find the Harmony Pro 2400 anywhere on line, even an Elite

Also looking for one. Any installers here that can help us out?

15 hours ago, Andy0217 said:

Although from what I have read the 2400 is only availability through installers? 

Can anyone point me in the right direction...or should I consider another option, 

Tired of fumbling with remotes it’s driving me bonkers...

One here perhaps at an exorbitant price.

https://www.winc.com.au/main-catalogue-productdetail/logitech-harmony-elite-remote-system/25116470?feature=search&feature_ident=ident%3Ausb|match_mode%3Amatchall|k%3APlusR3Retail_2000|position%3A13?ext_cid=NS|RT00008764&rule=RT00008764&utm_source=google.com&utm_medium=NatSearch&utm_campaign=OrganicGoogleShopping2021

I paid less than $300.00 at JB for mine.

I have a faulty Elite - the touch screen has failed. Display still works, but can't get any touch response, and can't get past the 'this is how it works' screen that appears following factory reset.

Anyway, have been having discussion with Logitech, pointing out that not having spare parts or repair services for the product fails to meet their obligations under Australian Consumer Law. As my unit is out of warranty, I proposed to purchase from them a replacement at a discounted price (which I would deem a satisfactory response by way of meeting their obligations).

Long story short, they said they can't do that because the Elite is 'end of life', out of stock and won't be coming back. Very sad.

I have managed to acquire a Harmony Ultimate One (Amazon Oz) and paired it with my existing Hub. It's all working, but whoever thought that placing the play/pause (and other transport) controls at the top of the device - above the sensitive touch screen - must have been smoking something pretty iffy.