Osborn Loudspeakers Owners & Discussion Thread

7 minutes ago, McCvinyl said:

Cheers @graham121

They are getting better every album at the moment, l can’t feed them through fast enough.

Had some anxiety on how they would go given the less than ideal environment they are situated but from what l am hearing they are coping fine

The LM 805 seems to push them along nicely 

Do you know what sort of run in time they have?

Not sure about the Titans as I was running in the Cyber 880i amp that I also purchased from Greg at the same time so hard to tell if the amp or the speakers were changing. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, McCvinyl said:

Cheers @graham121

They are getting better every album at the moment, l can’t feed them through fast enough.

Had some anxiety on how they would go given the less than ideal environment they are situated but from what l am hearing they are coping fine

The LM 805 seems to push them along nicely 

Do you know what sort of run in time they have?

Very very nice wood grain there and no doubt sounds amazing! Can you tell me, do you have any strategically placed acoustic treatment behind that canvas print or just the print itself?

btw don’t let this response get in your way of savouring the moment! 🎶👍🏼

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McCvinyl said:

Arrived this morning, whipped up some stands this arvo and now can’t wipe the grin off my face. Golden eared wife is impressed with the sound and the looks.

Life is good 😊 

A43331D7-6526-4473-B66D-52CF5FD49723.jpeg

9A993E55-E315-4306-B023-0C7C271ED74D.jpeg

Saw this pair being made…. They look great! The side view of the grain is magnificent also. 

Hope you’re enjoying them. 🎶🎶

72C0CB37-F8B8-4807-B31F-166BC92402E8.jpeg

Edited by Jakeyb77_Redux
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Very very nice wood grain there and no doubt sounds amazing! Can you tell me, do you have any strategically placed acoustic treatment behind that canvas print or just the print itself?

btw don’t let this response get in your way of savouring the moment! 🎶👍🏼

Thanks mate, the timber and finish has really come up better than I could imagine and I am really grateful and appreciative of what Greg and the guys at his joinery ( I think its Arana ) have produced.

It did take a while due to the lockdowns and also they took some extra time to find a veneer with a nice grain to it as it can be quite variable with the Sassafras.

It has real depth to it and the clear coat it amazing. Photos are hard to get the full impression as @Jakeyb77_Redux could understand.

My daughter did the painting and I have thought about putting something in behind it and probably will do in the future to help with reflections.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, McCvinyl said:

Arrived this morning, whipped up some stands this arvo and now can’t wipe the grin off my face. Golden eared wife is impressed with the sound and the looks.

Life is good 😊 

A43331D7-6526-4473-B66D-52CF5FD49723.jpeg

9A993E55-E315-4306-B023-0C7C271ED74D.jpeg

Those are stunning! Congratulations.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, McCvinyl said:

Life is good 😊 

Wow!  You're an amazing stand builder, Michael!  :thumb:

Andy

11 hours ago, andyr said:

Wow!  You're an amazing stand builder, Michael!  :thumb:

Andy

I’m just average really Andy but thanks anyway l will take it.

Already had the 20mm and 16mm plate cut so just had to weld tube in and paint them.

Don’t have any sand in them but they weigh over 40 kg each already.

• 2 weeks later...

Extract from Osborn Loudspeakers Facebook page:

" It is almost certain that I will retire at some time in the next 12 months, and Osborn Loudspeakers will be no more, but I am comforted that they will thrill so many people for so long after I have gone. But I will still be here to help all my customers and friends with anything, and to take care of any unlikely warranty situations, all will be honoured as long as I am still with us, which will hopefully be some time yet."

Shame, it will be the end of a successful Australian speaker company.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anyone else sneak an order in before the Nov 1 price increase?

Paid a deposit on piano black Interludes. Have been thinking about it for a while and the 10% increase pushed me over the line. Hopefully I can get an order in for a few other things before Greg’s retirement. 

1 hour ago, Wood said:

Anyone else sneak an order in before the Nov 1 price increase?

Paid a deposit on piano black Interludes. Have been thinking about it for a while and the 10% increase pushed me over the line. Hopefully I can get an order in for a few other things before Greg’s retirement. 

Would have to think there is a few that have been on the fence that are now taking the plunge.

I am glad I beat the rush.

I have to say that i am more than happy with the Titans. With about 50hrs on them now they are sounding fantastic from anywhere in the room.

• Like 2

I actually phoned Greg as I am interested in upgrading my speakers.

It was interesting/concerning to read his posts on his website and FAcebook - he has done the hifi community a huge service by selling his speakers and othe things at such a small markup.

My view is that he is serious in retiring.

Would suggest to everyone interested to jump in ASAP.

2 hours ago, McCvinyl said:

Would have to think there is a few that have been on the fence that are now taking the plunge.

I am glad I beat the rush.

I have to say that i am more than happy with the Titans. With about 50hrs on them now they are sounding fantastic from anywhere in the room.

He did mention 5 pairs of speakers needing to be packaged and 7 invoices to go out. 
Can’t wait to experience his work. Like you mentioned, I’ve read a lot about how good his speakers are anywhere in the room. Greg claims a very wide sweet spot. Should work well for my application. 

Edited by Wood
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just want to give a massive shout out to Greg for his stellar customer service; I told him about my move back to the UK and he organised custom cut foam and sized cardboard boxes for my speakers, free of charge without me asking for this.

Oh yeah, he drove to mine and dropped it all off as well.

This is for a pair of Epitome Tower references, so not a small amount on material. Noone else does customer service like this and it should be applauded!

• Like 11
  • Love 2

• 2 months later...

Hi all, Interested in thoughts on Osborn EOS Reference Elite. I want some new boxes and would love to keep it local. Currently using Elac BS.244 bought new about 8 years ago. About to book in a listening session but thought I'd post here first.  Is there an owners thread i cant find? I can't find anything but positive reviews etc so getting excited. ATM using Yamaha A S2100 and or Sansui AU D9 integrated. Rega RP3 with Primare R32 phono, Marantz CD6006 and Rotel RCD 1570 and various DACs but mostly use vinyl and shiny little vinyl.  

Thanks, Andrew

There is a single post in the Osbourne Owners thread talking about auditioning the EOS Reference Elite, the EOS Reference and Titans. The poster preferred the Titans, purchased, and is very happy. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What sort of room treatment have you all gone for?

New owner, I have the Tower Epitome Elites. Lounge room is 4m x 5.5m. Its not perfectly square as there is a doorway that extends 1m into the room. There is also a feature timber wall in 1 section and im looking to see what if any sound treatments you bought for your room/speaker combo. I plan to build a more dedicated space in the future so im looking for panels and other things that i can move into a new room later down the track. 

Off the bat its a little bit of a how long is this piece of string in my pocket question as every room/placement will sound different and require different treatments. Just wondering if i can get a feel for a running theme, like you cant have to many bass traps for example...

So far i bought 2 Deep6 bass traps.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Fawks said:

What sort of room treatment have you all gone for?

New owner, I have the Tower Epitome Elites. Lounge room is 4m x 5.5m. Its not perfectly square as there is a doorway that extends 1m into the room. There is also a feature timber wall in 1 section and im looking to see what if any sound treatments you bought for your room/speaker combo. I plan to build a more dedicated space in the future so im looking for panels and other things that i can move into a new room later down the track. 

Off the bat its a little bit of a how long is this piece of string in my pocket question as every room/placement will sound different and require different treatments. Just wondering if i can get a feel for a running theme, like you cant have to many bass traps for example...

So far i bought 2 Deep6 bass traps.

I'd suggest starting this discussion in the Room Acoustics forum. Room treatments are not really speaker/brand dependent, so not really relevant to this owner's discussion thread, but more room dependent. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello fellow Osborn owners, I have recently  purchased a Consonance Reference  8 Pro Music player from Greg and I am having  trouble getting  Tidal connect to work from my phone. Spotify  connect works perfectly. This is a screenshot of the Consonance web browser interface and you can see that Tidal is not like the others. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers Mike16584713189833707648392069855250.thumb.jpg.d9b2b58a3f372c7550529c01ee94eafc.jpg

30 minutes ago, Rush 2112 said:

Hello fellow Osborn owners, I have recently  purchased a Consonance Reference  8 Pro Music player from Greg and I am having  trouble getting  Tidal connect to work from my phone. Spotify  connect works perfectly. This is a screenshot of the Consonance web browser interface and you can see that Tidal is not like the others. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers Mike16584713189833707648392069855250.thumb.jpg.d9b2b58a3f372c7550529c01ee94eafc.jpg

You may have better luck in the Digital sources forum. Or Greg himself would be able to help.

Edited by McCvinyl

Hi Just press logout , then close the screen and clear your browser cache.

Come back and you will see login in place and then it will take you to tidal where you  put your tidal username and password and come back to this screen that looks exactly like your screenshot but Tidal will show up on homepage .

On 23/07/2022 at 10:05 AM, sufioz said:

Hi Just press logout , then close the screen and clear your browser cache.

Come back and you will see login in place and then it will take you to tidal where you  put your tidal username and password and come back to this screen that looks exactly like your screenshot but Tidal will show up on homepage .

Thanks 

I tried that. 

According to Tidal support, Tidal isn't compatible with Consonance which is disappointing.  

Very strange that an expensive Dac/ streamer only works with Spotify connect ie i can connect my phone to my steamer .

On 22/07/2022 at 4:29 PM, Rush 2112 said:

What's this web app?  I've seen it before.  I have only ever used 8Player Pro, but keen to explore what you have there.