Osborn Loudspeakers Owners & Discussion Thread

caminperth

Has anyone here got any experience with these speakers?

I've read quite a lot on them and they get fantastic reviews, though being over on the West Coast in Perth I can't drop by their shop and audition them.

Anyone on here from Perth and running a set?

Initally very impressive but they suffer from a poorly refined top end, especially in the more expensive models which should be much better. Cabinets are beautiful and extremely well made, drivers are absolute top notch, awesome bass......top end sucks :)

After a review of Osbournes top speaker, the reviewer suggested that the tweeter should be wired out of phase {I can't remember the exact reason why},at any rate,osbourne responded that he would hence forth wire all his speakers this way.

That's probably why you think the top end sucks Mondie.

I would of thought if it sounded better on the top model[subjective,and somewhat dubious IMHO] it wouldn't always make the rest of his line up sound better.

Tweaky,

l remember that reveiw, if l wasn't on a slow dial up connection at the moment l would search for it as a little light entertainment.

You have to wonder about the amount of trial and error that went into refining the speakers for a reviewer to come out and recommend such a mod even if it works. Bizzare l reckon.

You'd think that if the tweeter was out of phase, the designer would be on to it pretty damn quickly..................You'd think.................

For the sort of dollars being asked, it should be bang on the money at release.

Originally posted by ajw056

You'd think that if the tweeter was out of phase, the designer would be on to it pretty damn quickly..................You'd think.................

For the sort of dollars being asked, it should be bang on the money at release.

Yes yes and yes, unbelievable for $12k plus.

Originally posted by caminperth

Tweaky - That's just the Osborn home page?

I'm heading over to Melb early next year so will audition them for myself. Any other recommended Oz speaker manufacturers? I've heard of VAF, but haven't listened to them as I'm in Perth.

Here's a review l co-wrote a little while back about my experiences with VAF and Equinox;

http://users.bigpond.com/gkaan/i-93vsjupiter.htm

Link to Australian Speaker manufactures.

http://www.htcentral.net/forums/index.php?...?showtopic=1167

If your are a australian speaker manufacture and not on this list please feel free to add your name so we ALL know about you.

Spread the Joy!

Suggest replicating the same sort of sticky at Planet Audio as the HTC one was made up from posts that people had sent in.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys. Some of you may have read my other thread where i was searching for a bookshelf speaker, but now i have finally found exactly what I have been after, the Osborn Interludes!! :blink::D

Thanks heaps for all the help guys... (for those that have contributed in my other thread.)

EDIT: Heres a pic of the Interludes in Bubinga (Mine are Jarrah though) -> http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/files...erludespec.html

I will write up a more detailed review with pictures when i recieve my new speakers and have enough time to really get acquainted with them....

Today I went and listened to the Equinox Perphalions and the Osborn Interludes.

I hope i dont offend anyone here but i felt the Interludes were far better suited to my listening requirements. The Interludes sounded good at all SPL's whereas i felt the Equinox speakers needed quite a bit of volume for them to really impress me (the soundstage opened up quite a lot when the volume increased). But they clearly sounded better to me at all volumes. The Osborn Interludes made me really sit up and enjoy the music, made me get excited.

Now, the Interludes are just magnificant. They have luscious bass down to 35Hz (not even a hint of boominess at any levels) superb highs (so much detail, so transparent) and everything inbetween that makes you tap your feet to the music.

We tested out the following music.

Tori Amos - Precious Things -> :P :P O god they brought that soung to life. Sounded like you were there.

The Dissociatives - Horror With Eyeballs -> This song really shows you how dynamic these speakers really are.

Tool - The Pot -> tremendous results

Live - Likini's Juice -> Again tremendous.

and a few others.

We tried the Interludes with 2 different integrated amps, and they both did marvelous jobs....

valve integrated -> See Here

SS integrated -> See Here

Needless to say i was so impressed I put a deposit down, and will be picking up my freshly run in speakers at the end of this week..... god i can't wait wub.gif

o, I orded them in Jarrah :P

excellent stuff drizt. great to read you have foudn what you were looking for and they did all the right things and yeah that you are soon to have them as well.

yes do post pics once set up, very happy for you.

Well done Aaron, how are you getting them so quick - demo's??

Did you hear them at your place or Gregs? Make sure you post up some pics :P

Cheers

He had already made up two pairs of Interludes (by the dust i would say a couple of months old). One was in Bubinga, and the other in Jarrah. The Bubinga ones were the ones I listened to, and they had been run in for around 30 Hours, god they sounded good.

The Jarrah ones, Have not even been plugged in (Virgins :blink: ), but they are a complete unit, waiting for some good old electricity. Hes gonna leave them running this week in one of his bedrooms (I HOPE his dogs don't eat my speakers or bash them into oblivion, big friendly giants they are. And they tend to knock against the speakers :D ).

I am so anal about not getting demo's, thats why I leant towards the jarrah pair. I know it wouldnt make a difference but at least i will have the satisfaction of being the only person to have listened to them :P . Plus I liked the Jarrah ones asthetically speaking more than the Bubinga so it was an easy decision for me)

Hehehe, pity i only have my denon AVR to run them.... I'm soooo going to start saving for a for one of these -> http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/opera/Calaf.html

I have heard the Titans connected to my Denon 1906 and they did sound good, but not even in the same ball park as when they were connected to the good amps (links above).. But I will have to make do... Even this little expenditure is going to stretch my finances for months to come... hehe the joys of being a graduate.

Yes congratulations Dritz, sounds like you will have them home for the long weekend…

The first to post a review.... of sorts :yahoo: :drinks:

Hi guys. Some of you may have read my other thread where i was searching for a bookshelf speaker, but now i have finally found exactly what I have been after, the Osborn Interludes!! ;):)

Thanks heaps for all the help guys... (for those that have contributed in my other thread.)

EDIT: Heres a pic of the Interludes in Bubinga (Mine are Jarrah though) -> http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/files...erludespec.html

EDIT 2:

I will write up a more detailed review with pictures when i recieve my new speakers and have enough time to really get acquainted with them....

Today I went and listened to the Equinox Perphalions and the Osborn Interludes.

I hope i dont offend anyone here but i felt the Interludes were far better suited to my listening requirements. The Interludes sounded good at all SPL's whereas i felt the Equinox speakers needed quite a bit of volume for them to really impress me (the soundstage opened up quite a lot when the volume increased). But they clearly sounded better to me at all volumes. The Osborn Interludes made me really sit up and enjoy the music, made me get excited.

Now, the Interludes are just magnificant. They have luscious bass down to 35Hz (not even a hint of boominess at any levels) superb highs (so much detail, so transparent) and everything inbetween that makes you tap your feet to the music.

We tested out the following music.

Tori Amos - Precious Things -> :) :wub: O god they brought that soung to life. Sounded like you were there.

The Dissociatives - Horror With Eyeballs -> This song really shows you how dynamic these speakers really are.

Tool - The Pot -> tremendous results

Live - Likini's Juice -> Again tremendous.

and a few others.

We tried the Interludes with 2 different integrated amps, and they both did marvelous jobs....

valve integrated -> See Here

SS integrated -> See Here

Needless to say i was so impressed I put a deposit down, and will be picking up my freshly run in speakers at the end of this week..... god i can't wait wub.gif

o, I orded them in Jarrah :wub:

He had already made up two pairs of Interludes (by the dust i would say a couple of months old). One was in Bubinga, and the other in Jarrah. The Bubinga ones were the ones I listened to, and they had been run in for around 30 Hours, god they sounded good.

The Jarrah ones, Have not even been plugged in (Virgins :wub: ), but they are a complete unit, waiting for some good old electricity. Hes gonna leave them running this week in one of his bedrooms (I HOPE his dogs don't eat my speakers or bash them into oblivion, big friendly giants they are. And they tend to knock against the speakers :( ).

I am so anal about not getting demo's, thats why I leant towards the jarrah pair. I know it wouldnt make a difference but at least i will have the satisfaction of being the only person to have listened to them :) . Plus I liked the Jarrah ones asthetically speaking more than the Bubinga so it was an easy decision for me)

Hehehe, pity i only have my denon AVR to run them.... I'm soooo going to start saving for a for one of these -> http://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/opera/Calaf.html

I have heard the Titans connected to my Denon 1906 and they did sound good, but not even in the same ball park as when they were connected to the good amps (links above).. But I will have to make do... Even this little expenditure is going to stretch my finances for months to come... hehe the joys of being a graduate.

Excellent news Drizt! So pleased you two have found one that excites appropriately. I must admit I liked the Osborn sound at the HES and can imagine how sweet they will sound. Piccys in your set up are mandatory :blink:

Thanks heaps for all the kind words fella's

I just can't believe how much better these sounded than all the other speakers I had listened to in this price bracket, none of them even came close. The two best speakers I auditioned over the last few weeks were both made by Greg Osborn. The Titans were a magnificant bookshelf and easily out muscled the others i looked at. And the Interludes had a very similar sound to them, although they had greater bass extension and could play slightly louder. Both the Titans and the Interludes have such exquisite detail and refinement which i put down to the exceptional tweeter. I can only imagine how good the top of the range tweeter that he uses in the Reference/Grand series would sound. (I had a quick listen to the Grand Monuments but I would need another listen to them to make any sort of judgement on them, they overwhelmed me the first time i heard them) :blink: .

It was the easiest decision in the world on what speakers to buy. The hardest choice was chosing a finish, but Jarrah won me over.

Thanks heaps for all the kind words fella's

I just can't believe how much better these sounded than all the other speakers I had listened to in this price bracket, none of them even came close. The two best speakers I auditioned over the last few weeks were both made by Greg Osborn. The Titans were a magnificant bookshelf and easily out muscled the others i looked at. And the Interludes had a very similar sound to them, although they had greater bass extension and could play slightly louder. Both the Titans and the Interludes have such exquisite detail and refinement which i put down to the exceptional tweeter. I can only imagine how good the top of the range tweeter that he uses in the Reference/Grand series would sound. (I had a quick listen to the Grand Monuments but I would need another listen to them to make any sort of judgement on them, they overwhelmed me the first time i heard them) :blink: .

It was the easiest decision in the world on what speakers to buy. The hardest choice was chosing a finish, but Jarrah won me over.

Ah yes choosing a finish I know how you feel. I went from thinking of getting piano black to satin Jarrah then to high gloss jarrah. In the end i went for something inbetween, Jarrah with a bit more gloss than satin. Hopefully I will be happy with the choice.

Ah yes choosing a finish I know how you feel. I went from thinking of getting piano black to satin Jarrah then to high gloss jarrah. In the end i went for something inbetween, Jarrah with a bit more gloss than satin. Hopefully I will be happy with the choice.

Im sure you will be mate.... after the first few months of owning them, no matter what finish you get you will be used to them and love them, and then you will wonder why you agonised over them.

I am so anal about not getting demo's, thats why I leant towards the jarrah pair. I know it wouldnt make a difference but at least i will have the satisfaction of being the only person to have listened to them :D . Plus I liked the Jarrah ones asthetically speaking more than the Bubinga so it was an easy decision for me)

Greg told me a few weeks back that he has a problem holding onto demos becuase people come to his house, love what they hear and insist on taking the pair they just heard in case the new ones arent as good :blink: l dont think you can go wrong with either finish, his cabinet work is as good as it gets.

Greg told me a few weeks back that he has a problem holding onto demos becuase people come to his house, love what they hear and insist on taking the pair they just heard in case the new ones arent as good :blink: l dont think you can go wrong with either finish, his cabinet work is as good as it gets.

:D heres to hoping my fresh pair will sound as good as his demo set.....