Impressions of The Melbourne HiFi Show 2023

Yes, well done Marc. You and the team did a fantastic job and I am impressed how well you pulled this off. Everyone I spoke to enjoyed the show, and the interstate travellers I met all said they would come back for the next one.

• Like 4

Sounds like a great show.Well done Marc and team.I could not make it this year but hope to be there next year.With 3  Busselton-Melbourne direct flights a week now there is no excuse not to come I guess.Indeed it should be promoted in the Busselton/Margaret River/Bunbury area.

• Like 2

Such a good show this year, and less people meant plenty of time to listen to speakers or chat to the hosts.

Headzone was a great idea...looking forward to this being expanded!

Standouts for me were...

• Home Theatre Engineering room (my gosh...Wisdom Audio + Barco projector was 😮)
  • The Krix HT wall sounded great, but the soundbar blew me away. Vocal quality and channel separation was crystal clear regardless of volume and for $5k I thought it was great value as a quality front sound stage of a nice clean living room HT setup.
  • Both the Microphase room and Serhan+Swift room had a nice meaty sound for such small speakers
  • Pitt & Goblin blew me away with how smooth and 'wide' the sound was. You could walk anywhere in the room and the sound didn't change. Beautiful speakers as well.
  • Raidho sounded great...but they should for the price
Edited by nedrum
  • Like 1

On 21/10/2023 at 8:31 PM, amey01 said:

The number of self-entitled, uningratiating, uncouth peasants: 

* Being pushy

* Talking while there was music playing - sometimes at length for extended periods of time

* Standing in front of speakers playing

* Being overbearing and taking control of the music

* Taking control of the volume level and making other demands

* etc - and generally just treating everyone else with contempt

---was extraordinary this year. 

(a bit OT but... this is how people are now, post-COVID. It's the selfish last days of humanity)

• Like 1

First off, well done to the Stereonet crew and vendors who made the show a delightful experience. I spent the 3 days there so got to experience each room without rushing too much.

My thoughts, the rooms that I'd visit again on different days as they caught my attention: the Raidhos paired with Levinson monoblocks were fantastic. Nirvana Sound, I particularly wanted to hear the Supatrac tonearm on the Helix TT, it did not disappoint, fabulous setup. 

The presentation for me that took the chocolates were the Wilson Audios with Dan D'Agostino amp, Nordost power conditioner and Linn streamer. Fabulous, close to perfection. Imaging, soundstage, revealing with no hint of shrillness, definition in the bass, just superb.

• Like 3

On 21/10/2023 at 8:31 PM, amey01 said:

Enjoyed the exhibits.

The show was somewhat spoilt though - the "Pratt factor" was much higher than normal this year. 

The number of self-entitled, uningratiating, uncouth peasants: 

* Being pushy

* Talking while there was music playing - sometimes at length for extended periods of time

* Standing in front of speakers playing

* Being overbearing and taking control of the music

* Taking control of the volume level and making other demands

* etc - and generally just treating everyone else with contempt

---was extraordinary this year. 

So if I have any feedback, it is that the organisers really should provide some simple training to exhibitors on how to deal with these situations in a respectful but professional manner. The show would be more enjoyable for exhibitors and attendees alike. 

It's nice that the show is relaxed and people can make requests, etc - but when "relaxed" is taken advantage of (by a very small but highly impinging cohort) then it unfortunately makes it less enjoyable for the majority. 

Sounds like people simply having a good time. Generally its promoted as an interactive and social event.... not an international violin competition

• Like 8

On 21/10/2023 at 11:12 PM, sir sanders zingmore said:

I think you have the decimal in the wrong spot - unfortunately. Otherwise they wouldn't be good value but would be the stonking take my money now bargain of the century 🙂

If it was that figure, take my money 😄😜

I spent 15mins in that room and loved them.

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 2

• Volunteer
4 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

If it was that figure, take my money 😄😜

I spent 15mins in that room and loved them.

Yep - a surprise highlight for me too. A veritable Swiss Army Knife of the audio world. Very impressed by the sound and versatility.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Tel said:

Yep - a surprise highlight for me too. A veritable Swiss Army Knife of the audio world. Very impressed by the sound and versatility.

you must had a ball deciding which stand mount to tick that box.  Nothing better than to go to a show like this where you can see and hear any speaker regardless of price and get an idea of what you want.   But that Dutch and Dutch was a standout for me considering the time frame I had.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AudioGeek said:

Sounds like people simply having a good time. Generally its promoted as an interactive and social event.... not an international violin competition

You can be interactive and social and still have decorum. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, amey01 said:

You can be interactive and social and still have decorum. 

I was there all day Friday and found no issues with behaviour.  Decorum was on display by everyone, in every room.  In fact, in the many years I’ve been attending I’ve never found behaviour to be an issue worth even mentioning.  Of course, my expectations weren’t that the rooms were there for my personal listening session.  

• Like 10

On 22/10/2023 at 3:59 PM, sir sanders zingmore said:

When I first went in there was an issue with one of the NAD amps and they had to reset it. I was tempted to leave, but stuck around and was very glad I did. The sound was superb

Thanks for sharing.  The current generation of NAD amps truly are superb sounding.  This is why I often question what people's reference point is when they make posts about not liking Class D.  🙂

• Like 4

18 hours ago, LINN88 said:

Yes I saw a couple but they weren't entry level versions more higher up in the model lines.

Doesn't Creek only have a single range these days?

17 minutes ago, POV said:

Thanks for sharing.  The current generation of NAD amps truly are superb sounding.  This is why I often question what people's reference point is when they make posts about not liking Class D.  🙂

NAD have embraced the genius of Bruno Putseys. 😁 Hence the TOTL SQ. 

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 2

On 22/10/2023 at 5:45 PM, Ian McP said:

Open Audio Designs

Audio Note

Microphase Audio Design

Hulgich Audio

March Audio

and four of those are Australian!

You did stump me with the fourth Aussie but OAD is what they are called now! 😀

I was able to attend the show on Sunday - with good company and also met up with some familiar faces too 😊

My favourite room was the Nirvana Sound room - mainly because it had a great turntable set up but also because the host kindly treated us to a very special Test Pressing playing  of "Stairway to Heaven" that was so magnificent and I felt very privileged to hear that and would like to thank the host for playing this very special  & rare record for the room. 

The rooms were mostly well done and lots of nice highlights, but as I am mainly a Vinyl not Digital girl the rooms with turntables held the most interest.

The record fair looked great too - but I did not buy anything as I would have to cart it back home on the plane - but was nice to browse and have a few good laughs when there too.

A lovely experience overall. 

Thank you Marc for organising it. 😊

IMG_1778.JPG

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1