Ethernet switches - PartA: Switches List, info & Experience

19 hours ago, Miyajima Smith said:

What's about Ansuz Switch 12,000€ and some one call ( Special Class) ?

I called it special class in my openning post list because it is not only a switch.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Similarly to previous post there is a video where we can judge ourselves 5 switches. I thought the differences were tiny myself.

I did pick out one that seemed to stand out above the others but then looked it up to find it was $thousands, so thought it's too much investment for the benefit. I'd be happy with the standard cisco switch!

My take is you have to spend big to get micro improvements

About reviews, and for that matter non-reviewers observations and opinions,  I think its important to consider the context of what under review and methodology.

I came across the alpha-audio review some time ago and observed they were connecting to an elaborate network with potentially lots of noise generating things connected to that network.  And as I recall they were changing gear and cables over quite quickly, not really allowing things to 'settle it'.  I felt it was a quick and dirty review that didn't really do justice to the gear or ther better parts of their own methodology.

By comparison, I think it was review of Melco S100 where three different reviewers reached much the same conclusion when listening to that switch in the same system which had settled in and zi assumed not changed in between reviews..  See page 1 of this thread.

In my experience, network context and power supply context, make a lot of difference - consider these when reading the findings of a review.

Edited by dbastin
typo

Power supplies are critical in how the switch will affect the sound.  I suspect daisy chaining a couple of Sotm or EtherRegen’s can improve things since each one is designed to clean up the inputs.

So far my best outcome is an EtherRegen, powered by an UpTone Audio LPS1.2 which itself is powered by a Hashimoto modified UpTone JS-2.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TP1 said:

Power supplies are critical

And dare I say, AC & DC power cords.  The big names in power cords don't seem to have dabbled in DC cords (yet).

I am presently using Shunyata ztron Alpha Digital to supply a Antipodes ODAPS and EtherRegen.

I am inclined to get some LessLoss C-Marc and make up DC cables, and perhaps even convert to RCA rather than barrell plugs to achieve superior connection and conductivity.

• Like 1

On 28/11/2020 at 4:34 AM, TP1 said:

Power supplies are critical in how the switch will affect the sound.  I suspect daisy chaining a couple of Sotm or EtherRegen’s can improve things since each one is designed to clean up the inputs.

So far my best outcome is an EtherRegen, powered by an UpTone Audio LPS1.2 which itself is powered by a Hashimoto modified UpTone JS-2.

I have a JS-2. What is the Hashimoto mod you refer to?

1 hour ago, Raffinator said:

I have a JS-2. What is the Hashimoto mod you refer to?

1714293392_IMG_69002.thumb.jpg.0a3e95b03bbb7005ec4e598f86580354.jpg

JS-2 transformer and choke have been replaced by custom designed and built units from Hashimoto Japan.  In addition, standard capacitors have been replaced  with Epcos Sikorel.  

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I gather some Japanese call a switch a hub.  However this specifies hubs are actually different to and largely superseded by switches ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_hub

This seems a good explanation ...

https://community.fs.com/blog/do-you-know-the-differences-between-hubs-switches-and-routers.html

Edited by dbastin

17 hours ago, ericmiles said:

Can you explain for me the difference between ethernet hub and switch?

A switch is a smarter hub. It routes data to the intended device rather than just broadcasting to all devices. Hubs are/were only half duplex too, from memory, which means they can only send data in one direction at a time, making them much slower than switches which are full duplex.

965934551_hubVswitch.jpg.33a7fdb7c083d90b0dd8729fc08c9ba7.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2020 at 9:10 PM, dbastin said:

New switch from Entreq added to the List in opening post.

Thanks for doing this thread.  I think its useful to have all the audiophile  ethernet switch options in the one place. 

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

just adding a bit of info from the taiko site re audiophile switches.

Connecting the server through a dedicated switch, not shared with other devices is a very clear step up in sound quality, a FMC (Fibre Media Converter) accomplishes the same thing. This is nothing new, a lot of audiophiles are already using stacked switches. With our current Extreme firmware we actually prefer the direct fiber connection into the Extreme by a small margin.

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Are you  looking at replacing your 2xN8s or adding the N16 as well?  ??

I did not keep the second n8.  I need to change my signature.  Changing to dual is a very very idle thought at the moment.  There are other things I am more interested in at this time.  I would need to try the dual first.  I do not think that there is any in Australia at the moment.  I am also quite satisfied for the time being with what I have.

John

• Like 1

There seems to be many users here reporting improvements using “audio optimised” network switches, yet DAC/streamer measurements from ASR would suggest switches do in fact not make a difference.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/silent-angel-bonn-n8-audio-grade-ethernet-switch.12360/

Is ASR measuring the wrong parameters? If differences do indeed exist, what measurement would capture this difference? Thoughts? 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Grizaudio said:

There seems to be many users here reporting improvements using “audio optimised” network switches, yet DAC/streamer measurements from ASR would suggest switches do in fact not make a difference.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/silent-angel-bonn-n8-audio-grade-ethernet-switch.12360/

Is ASR measuring the wrong parameters? If differences do indeed exist, what measurement would capture this difference? Thoughts? 

Well,

At one end of things, Amir would need to learn how to measure and test for jitter with significantly more granularity, nuance and understanding than he does, and would need to understand that his often bombastic statements around jitter audibility bear no basis in fact or science. However as he knows everything and his followers consider themselves fortunate to be in a presence of someone so qualified, the above's much a moot point. De AP analyzer sez, dood, & 'iz neu AP analyzer is moar accuratar dan da last won, doooood'. 

This being said many of these things are so ridiculously expensive that subjectivity bias is particularly extreme. I challenge anyone that's spent over whatever your personal 'that's a chunk of change' threshold to demonstrate how they can be truly objective about these matters. And I don't mean comments around 'yes (scratch chin wistfully), the combination of x audiouberswitch and y ostrich-scrot-coated-silver-core-telefukin-terminated CAT 11a cable (yairs, that's not yet a standard, but WireWorld is on it, scratch more wistful chin, adopt Bob Stuart voice and stance*), gives a less closed-in tone with a shimmering top end however I did note the bass felt more closed-in (sip on red wine, more chin, etc)'. 

The most sensitive instrument you'll ever get is they grey stuff in your head working with the sticky bits out the sides and what connects 'em. It's also the only one that matters. 

The only way to really build understanding IMHO is to start with things that are known different and so cheap you won't care anyway. Try test blind as you can, and build personal knowledge at a rate enough to keep your objectivity bias at bay or at least tempered as long as you can. 

Or trust the mob, pick a religion (whether ASR, Swenson or whatever) and spend accordingly. Beyond any effort to train sensitivity to what you're hearing, we're all extremely likely to hear what we want :D 

(*Disclaimer: Once upon a time not long ago an audio-versed friend heard me talking out my a** and well out of reason or objectivity. When I paused, he said 'dude, you sound like Bob Stuart talking about MQA.' That went down about as gently as taking an ice bucket challenge inadvertently. A salient lesson.)

Edited by rmpfyf

38 minutes ago, Grizaudio said:

I recall that Nelson Pass ( designer of pass Amplifiers)  once stating that measurements and tests  don't exist to cover all parameters that affect sound in hifi equipment. You can audition two  DAC's for example of different makes with pretty much identical specs but they will sound different.    ASR are basically sceptics and while I think that many of their tests are worthwhile ( particularly illuminating is the signal/noise ratios of AV amplifiers) , I don't think they  have enough  insight to fully understand every parameter affecting sound when it comes to ethernet switches.  Certainly not enough to say that countless  users are deluding themselves . After all ASR is just one bloke.

I am not saying all audiophile ethernet switches are better than the ordinary, but  when it comes to whether audible differences exist, listening for oneself is the best way to determine that.  In my case it wasn't without trepidation that I bought an EtherRegen. ASR were particularly brutal about it. However it has proven to be so good I bought a second unit for my theatre.  I  tried it while streaming 4K content being played via a projector onto a 140" screen and  the picture improvement was not subtle. My wife even commented without knowing that I had done anything . As for audio, I  like so many others, am very happy with the improvements I am hearing. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Grizaudio said:

If differences do indeed exist, what measurement would capture this difference? Thoughts? 

There comes a time when you have to get your hands on one and experience for yourself.  Keep an open mind, try not to have any expectation, allow yourself to experience it without justifying or reasoning. Trust yourself and how music feels to you with and without.

After some time experiencing, only then analyse what and why there is/is not a difference ... justify, reason, rationalise, etc.

To me, differences certainly do exist.  Sometimes differences catch my attention when I'm focussing on something else.

• Like 2