HoloAudio Owners & Discussion Thread

On 09/08/2021 at 1:28 PM, ICUToo said:

So, for all the owners of the May (KTE): do you still love it?

Trying to decide, shall I order one sight-unseen (unheard)...

I have heard the Tambacqui and the MSB Premier w Renderer- I preferred the MSB, but not enough to buy it.

Mature thoughts about the HA MAY Lvl 3 after all this time?

Hi David

I have had my May for about 5 weeks now and I can attest to what has been written elsewhere in reviews and other forums , it is an absolutely stunning piece of equipment, it just seems to get better by the day ( out of the box it was not great but give it some run in and wow ! ).

I wrote in a US forum that what i find incredible about the May is that there seems to be no measurement that indicates how amazingly good it is, the sound is wide , open spacious and what I did not expect is that is super punchy with really full bass.  My other DAC was an SMSL400 which creams nearly every other DAC currently on the market for measurements ( see Audio Science reviews ) however the SMSL sounds so congested and dull compared to the May and I can find no measurement that describes why this should be so.   I speculate that it is the incredible effort spent on the Power supply and Class A output stage using discreet components in the May which must be contributing to this.  I am guessing as you move up the Denafrips range to the Terminator(s) that the vast improvements are coming from the dual power supplies and output stages.

As one Youtube reviewer wrote just forget about all those terms like detail and fullness and drive etc etc, the Holo may just sounds real ! 

By the way I have the KTE version

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your thoughts, @U_J. Reassuring to hear that a $7k dac creams a $1k dac. Despite what ASR say I'd hope it would.

I'd be very interested to hear what the May brings compared with the Spring 3 or, say, one of the higher end Denafrips. 

• Like 1

I will echo John's thoughts and comments here. I have the Holo May KTE and it is fantastic. Totally analogue sounding but with no loss of detail, separation and layering. Huge soundstage, bass depth and treble extension. The transients are so good on this DAC. In NOS too I might add. It just gets better and better!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes Neil, and one of my biggest concerns with buying the May unheard is that it may lack detail or slam in the bass as some people have reported for R2R designs and the exact opposite is true, I only run it in NOS and the speed and articulation are incredible, it truly has transformed the sound, I thought my limiting factor was my single ended 845 amps and was considering a more powerful amp as my next upgrade but now my amps sound like huge solid state amps the improvement in bass drive, punch and fullness makes no sense , it is like I have bought new amps !

pretty good deal, spend $7K on a Dac and get a new amp thrown in for free !

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Many thanks U_J, blueoceanboy- your descritptions and comments are very helpful.

No auditions in Sydney are easy at the moment because of lockdowns, so "sight-unseen" is the risk one may have to take:)

I have owned the L3 Holo May for almost 2 months now. I use it in a traditional PCM/non computer audio setup: Sony CDP-X5000 AES/EBU into Holo May, custom Transformer Volume Control into vertically bi-amped DIY John Linsley Hood 1969 amps, into Magnepan MG1.6QR. Cablings are DIY solid core silver. The previous DAC was a Softone/ICL Model 2 tube DAC, which is based on the PCM1716 chip, ie a Delta Sigma mode of digital to analogue conversion.

Admittedly the Softone/ICL and Holo May are in totally different price categories, but I was really looking for a non Delta Sigma DAC in 2021 (thus ruled out many AKM, ESS and also FPGA DAC's), at a time where chip manufacturers have abandoned Sign Magnitude/multi bit along the likes of Phillips TDA1541A, Burr Brown PCM63/PCM1702/PCM1704. The closest was the Schiit Yggdrasil and the relatively young R2R movement which started with Totaldac, Aqua La Scala, Denafrips, Soekris, Metrum etc.

As others have pointed out, the bass for the Holo May is indeed very powerful. For magneplanar speaker users like me, the amount and quality of bass brought in by the Holo May was the first thing that strikes. Others have also noted the ease at which music plays, a kind of relaxed musicality and smoothness, this was also something I heard, and it was easy to follow the different musicians. If you like canon music where one instrument repeats the other after a certain duration and both plays in this staggered delay unison, the May will allow you to focus on one or the other easily (eg Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer's Music For Two). Similarly duets and group singings allow you to discern the timbre of the different voices (eg Civil Wars' Barton Hollow or Pink Martini and The Von Trapps' Dream A Little Dream).

Despite being solid state, I felt the May DAC was richer and more intense in tone colour than the previous tube DAC. It has body and gives a solid footing to the music. Orchestral music recorded in large halls convey the air and space of those venues (eg John WIlliams in Vienna). I also found it to have a very dark background.

Finally, and to me the best party trick of the Holo May: it breathes new life to old CD's. I found myself digging out old CD's from the 90s, whilst admittedly some do not sound as detailed as modern recordings, they were all very enjoyable and had a certain satisfaction that I always remembered was missing in the past. I don't remember Phil Collins's But Seriously sounding this utterly enjoyable.

I bought it blind without a demo after much researching and to me, it lives up to all the hype. And yes, 16bits/44.1khz NOS can deliver, with help from Holo May's timbre, transparency and musicality.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

I found it interesting from the above videos, that according to the reviewer there was such a small difference (2% was his subjective view) between the level 2 and KTE. 

I tried looking for more comparisons quickly this morning, but not much luck. 

I have lusted after the May KTE for quite some time now, but after hearing that I'm wondering if I should just go the L2 and use the savings on a better streamer 🤔

1 hour ago, Gambit 1870 said:

I found it interesting from the above videos, that according to the reviewer there was such a small difference (2% was his subjective view) between the level 2 and KTE. 

I tried looking for more comparisons quickly this morning, but not much luck. 

I have lusted after the May KTE for quite some time now, but after hearing that I'm wondering if I should just go the L2 and use the savings on a better streamer 🤔

Wonder how the Level 1 goes against the 2 and 3 !?

6 hours ago, f8. said:

I have owned the L3 Holo May for almost 2 months now. I use it in a traditional PCM/non computer audio setup: Sony CDP-X5000 AES/EBU into Holo May, custom Transformer Volume Control into vertically bi-amped DIY John Linsley Hood 1969 amps, into Magnepan MG1.6QR. Cablings are DIY solid core silver. The previous DAC was a Softone/ICL Model 2 tube DAC, which is based on the PCM1716 chip, ie a Delta Sigma mode of digital to analogue conversion.

Admittedly the Softone/ICL and Holo May are in totally different price categories, but I was really looking for a non Delta Sigma DAC in 2021 (thus ruled out many AKM, ESS and also FPGA DAC's), at a time where chip manufacturers have abandoned Sign Magnitude/multi bit along the likes of Phillips TDA1541A, Burr Brown PCM63/PCM1702/PCM1704. The closest was the Schiit Yggdrasil and the relatively young R2R movement which started with Totaldac, Aqua La Scala, Denafrips, Soekris, Metrum etc.

As others have pointed out, the bass for the Holo May is indeed very powerful. For magneplanar speaker users like me, the amount and quality of bass brought in by the Holo May was the first thing that strikes. Others have also noted the ease at which music plays, a kind of relaxed musicality and smoothness, this was also something I heard, and it was easy to follow the different musicians. If you like canon music where one instrument repeats the other after a certain duration and both plays in this staggered delay unison, the May will allow you to focus on one or the other easily (eg Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer's Music For Two). Similarly duets and group singings allow you to discern the timbre of the different voices (eg Civil Wars' Barton Hollow or Pink Martini and The Von Trapps' Dream A Little Dream).

Despite being solid state, I felt the May DAC was richer and more intense in tone colour than the previous tube DAC. It has body and gives a solid footing to the music. Orchestral music recorded in large halls convey the air and space of those venues (eg John WIlliams in Vienna). I also found it to have a very dark background.

Finally, and to me the best party trick of the Holo May: it breathes new life to old CD's. I found myself digging out old CD's from the 90s, whilst admittedly some do not sound as detailed as modern recordings, they were all very enjoyable and had a certain satisfaction that I always remembered was missing in the past. I don't remember Phil Collins's But Seriously sounding this utterly enjoyable.

I bought it blind without a demo after much researching and to me, it lives up to all the hype. And yes, 16bits/44.1khz NOS can deliver, with help from Holo May's timbre, transparency and musicality.

Nice write up,  thanks for your thoughts 👍

Anyone know the SE output level of the MAY? I've skimmed the Kitsune and Wildism sites and didn't see it noted.

Unfortunately the Spring 3 is 2.9Vrms SE output which will be too hot for some systems. My current DAC is already 2.5Vrms SE from memory and I wouldn't want to lose any more of the usable volume range of my pre-amp (already on low gain setting). I'd prefer not to have to use inline attenuators such as the Rothwell or Harrison Labs to bring the level back down and I'm not interested in the Spring 3's pre-amp module to replace my seperate pre-amp.

1 hour ago, DSK said:

Anyone know the SE output level of the MAY? I've skimmed the Kitsune and Wildism sites and didn't see it noted.

Unfortunately the Spring 3 is 2.9Vrms SE output which will be too hot for some systems. My current DAC is already 2.5Vrms SE from memory and I wouldn't want to lose any more of the usable volume range of my pre-amp (already on low gain setting). I'd prefer not to have to use inline attenuators such as the Rothwell or Harrison Labs to bring the level back down and I'm not interested in the Spring 3's pre-amp module to replace my seperate pre-amp.

Hello according to these measurements it is 2.9v

https://www.stereophile.com/content/holoaudio-may-level-3-da-processor-measurements

• Thanks 1

All of the Holos run a bit “hot” in voltage output, obviously more from XLR than SE. Frankly, I prefer it as it means the preamp has less work to do and gives you a bit more headroom for harder to run headphones but that’s just me.

54 minutes ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

All of the Holos run a bit “hot” in voltage output, obviously more from XLR than SE. Frankly, I prefer it as it means the preamp has less work to do and gives you a bit more headroom for harder to run headphones but that’s just me.

Hi Neil

Thinking about making the upgrade to the May level 3 from a Chord TT2 and M-scaler.

I think you've owned both? What's your thoughts, upgrade or sideways move? Or possibly same quality in resolution, but just a different flavour?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tony B said:

Hi Neil

Thinking about making the upgrade to the May level 3 from a Chord TT2 and M-scaler.

I think you've owned both? What's your thoughts, upgrade or sideways move? Or possibly same quality in resolution, but just a different flavour?

Hi Tony,

TT2 and HMS delivers fantastic resolution, detail, imaging and layering. YMMV about how much HMS adds to the already great TT2. Plus, TT2 is a good HP amp and preamp. All around tick. And the lights are pretty.

May KTE (and possibly the L1/2) adds a special sauce. A wider holographic soundstage, deeper and tauter bass and an all around more musical and analogue feel. Music just sounds better, real.  The analogy I’ve used is that May sounds like the band is right in front of you as opposed to listening to the band in the recording studio behind the glass. Both are great, the TT2 is behind the glass.

Best.

N

• Like 3

6 hours ago, madfonzy said:

Thanks fonzy.

Oh well, I'll just have to strike them from my "Lust List". At least I'll sleep better not having to worry about where I was going to come up with the cash. 😄  

All the reviews and opinions of May sound very interesting.

In terms of interface with a computer, can May interface with JRiver on Windows 10? using JRiver's native driver or Holo provides its own device driver?

I read May User Manual and it is unclear about this.

On 14/08/2021 at 11:45 PM, Tony@melb said:

All the reviews and opinions of May sound very interesting.

In terms of interface with a computer, can May interface with JRiver on Windows 10? using JRiver's native driver or Holo provides its own device driver?

I read May User Manual and it is unclear about this.

Hey Tony, sorry i don't use JRiver but with Audirvana on Win10 it's plug and play, no additional drivers needed. 

• Like 1

Once you have installed the May’s ASIO driver on your windows 10 PC open Jriver:

Jriver menu > Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device >  select the DAC Driver from the list.

That’s all you need to do unless you intend to upsample or downsample  then you would also change settings in “DSP and Output Format “.

This method will work with any DAC driver in Jriver

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Niktech said:

Once you have installed the May’s ASIO driver on your windows 10 PC open Jriver:

Jriver menu > Tools > Options > Audio > Audio Device >  select the DAC Driver from the list.

That’s all you need to do unless you intend to upsample or downsample  then you would also change settings in “DSP and Output Format “.

This method will work with any DAC driver in Jriver

Thank you all very much for your replies. That is important to know.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

I have ordered the Spring 3 KTE from Indie HiFi, as I'd like to have a NOS option in my setup again after selling my Pavane some time back. I toyed with getting something cheaper from the likes of Denafrips etc. but Holo seems well regarded right now and if it doesn't work out the resale hit probably won't hurt too much.

The May was a bit too rich for my blood and to be honest I much prefer the one box form factor of the Spring anyway. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds compared to my memory of the Pavane.

I've been waiting for the GoldenSound review of the Spring 3, to see how he compares it to the May he already reviewed, but got tired of waiting. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wanta911 said:

I have ordered the Spring 3 KTE from Indie HiFi, as I'd like to have a NOS option in my setup again after selling my Pavane some time back. I toyed with getting something cheaper from the likes of Denafrips etc. but Holo seems well regarded right now and if it doesn't work out the resale hit probably won't hurt too much.

The May was a bit too rich for my blood and to be honest I much prefer the one box form factor of the Spring anyway. It will be interesting to hear how it sounds compared to my memory of the Pavane.

I've been waiting for the GoldenSound review of the Spring 3, to see how he compares it to the May he already reviewed, but got tired of waiting. 

Good luck and please keep us posted on what you think when it arrives. I have a mind to upgrade to a Holo also, not sure which one to go for yet.

On 14/08/2021 at 3:35 PM, Tony B said:

Hi Neil

I have both and I would say it’s a sideways move. Also it really depends on the kind of music you mostly listen to: if it’s jazz, classic, orchestra in my opinion the May (I have a L2) is superior due to the wider and deeper presentation. But if you listen to lots of rock, metal, electronic, TT2+MScaler have a meatier, punchier delivery. More focussed but more adapt to the genre.

I can give you a practical example: Herbie Hanckock with Norah Jones are better on the May. Rage against the Machine on the Chord gear.

Hope it helped.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Do any holo may users have experience using Curious evolved usb cables? My earlier model Curious did work but didn't always get recognised.  I cannot get the new one to work on my dac. Have used it on another dac no problem.