HoloAudio Owners & Discussion Thread

28 minutes ago, rocky500 said:

You just have to remember this is the Holo thread. There are a few threads already for the others.

Yes, you are quite right. Sorry for taking it OT.

I'm hoping a local member might pick up a Holo Spring so I can have a listen. 

Just now, soundfan said:

I'm hoping a local member might pick up a Holo Spring so I can have a listen. 

Me to, I would really like to compare it to the Meitner or Devialet.

[moderator post]

minerva I bring your attention to the commercial members policy, you indicate you make dacs I would suggest your posts comply with the guidelines as listed below,

http://www.stereo.net.au/information/website-guidelines

in particular regard to Commercial interest policy with note to "Signatures" and "You may not denigrate the product of a competitor,"

[/end moderator post]

If accurately explaining how a chip functions based on experience, combined with the clear information provided in the datasheet is considered denigrative, who's fault is that? If I explained anything any differently, I would be blatantly lying.

4 hours ago, Mivera Audio said:

If accurately explaining how a chip functions based on experience, combined with the clear information provided in the datasheet is considered denigrative, who's fault is that? If I explained anything any differently, I would be blatantly lying.

You seem like your knowledgeable and could have some nice products too (I would not know as I have not heard them) but you seem to be being a bang up job on Audio forums.

You post some good things but from reading other forums it always seems to end the same and becomes a train wreck.

I liked these quotes of yours

"

"The problem is when folks who don't have an intimate understanding of the technology, jump to conclusions based on the technology type. This is why there's no substitute for your ears. Your ears will tell you what's right for you. Even if they are lying to you, does it really matter if it's bringing you enjoyment? Isn't the point of this hobby to bring happiness into your life?

Anyways I would rather just move on. They are targeting a very narrow close minded crowd with their measurement data anyways. Any sales I've ever made from audio gear was due to how it sounded, not how it measured. Did I use measurement tools to build them? Sure I did, but I didn't expect my clients to really care about the results. If you're stone cold deaf you should find a different hobby IMO."

• Like 1

@Mivera Audio You should sit back and think why you you banned from so many sites and try and change your approach to them a little different. No need to talk about them over and over either and blame everyone else for you being banned, move on to a different approach. I am sure a lot of us would like to hear of some of your ideas.

You can still post all your great knowledge of information but try and change it around on how you deliver it. Still get the same points across but in a different manner.

Googling your name brings up some colourful threads. LINK  LINK

• Like 1

On 03/03/2017 at 5:59 PM, Mivera Audio said:

What blows my mind is they say that the NOS mode is the best way to listen to the DAC. if so why would they put that lousy chip in the signal path in the first place? Marketing! More technobabble to talk about. Also it's a great way to turn people against oversampling DAC's. Show them first hand with a very mediocre SRC chip that it makes the sound worse. I gotta hand it to them they know how to market :)

WRT using AK4137 in signal path, this chip does have a bypass mode and if the designer of Holo DAC has put reclocking before DAC

then any damage the SRC might have done would be cleaned up significantly.

WRT having to use the SRC chips PLL derived clock, this is not really strictly correct. The SRC OP can be slaved to an external fixed,

very low jitter clock which also clocks the DAC. Then it's a case of the internal precision of the ASRC chip and the internal jitter rejection corner freq.

They don't give any info on this and I'd be interested to know what it is. For example the AD1896 was around 10Hz, other ASRC are better. I think the

Sabre DAC's internal CF is well below 1Hz in the highest rejection setting.

It's very easy slam ASRC chips but if they are well chosen / implemented, good performance can be had. There are quite a few DAC's out there that use

bog standard ESS9018 with internal ASRC enabled that are very well regarded. 

Having said all of the above I wouldn't use one but they have come a long way and there are newer ones that are even better.

Mike, you have come into this thread with guns blazing and have been pretty critical of some other manufacturers products.

I'd like to see some proper measurements of your DAC, obviously NOT on this thread. All I've seen so far are some nice clock phase noise measurements

of which I also have. Do you have any decent measurements of your DAC?

I should expect given the clock quality / software implemented modulator / use of Weiss OPA's it should beat the best current chip solutions. 

cheers

Terry

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Happy Easter everyone.

Hows the Holo sounding with time guys?   Does it slowly get even better with extended play in ?

Im not a fan of measurements but I guess they can show up bad design and so be a useful buyer tool for internet shopping new gear.  A brand new SNA member @DEH has pointed out a site with independent measuring and the Holo FFT's look great as expected:

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/holo-audio-spring-dac-measurements.3275/

Although the tester apologises for having non-professional measuring gear and suggests looking at the official measurements I reckon hes done a great job and his results show  good things e.g.

1. the official measurements are backed up by  actual gear out in the wild

2. the Holo can resolve to about 21bit depth as indicated by HD dropping about 30dB with a 24bit signal over a 16bit signal. Thats excellent. 

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

Holo Spring is here!!!

First Impressions, wow just wow. No sign of digital sound.

Very Analog sounding and the detail is to die for.

My Stax never sounded as fine, and the dealer said I need to burn it for 400 hours before making my view on it.

Seriously,can it get any better?

IMG_3636.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, georgehifi said:

Surely they could have stuck that tacky sticker on the back?

Can wait to hear what you think of it.

Cheers George

I will be moving the sticker to the bottom but left it there for now so you guys could se the upgrades.

Please note some of these upgrades are not offered by kitsune edition.

This one is the wild edition.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cardiiiii said:

Has anyone done a comparison between the Holo and Denafrips?

There are folk on the Head Fi Denafrips thread who have compared the Holo Level 1 against the Denafrips Ares and IIRC the Ares was preferred.

I think the Denaflips Pontus or Venus might be more inline with the Holo as they also have the NOS mode and more precise resistors.

There really is not much difference in all these good Dacs these days and some may suit someones system better than another.

I have tried a couple in the Schiit multibit range and the Klein II and they all sound great and all very enjoyable but always fall back to the Holo as it just seems to suit my system a bit better.

But if I didn't have the Holo + Singxer SU-1, I could be happy with the others too.

Edited by rocky500
  • Like 1

Guest Misterioso
27 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Do the Holo and Debafrips have the same tonal and timbre qualities of the PCM1704 DACs?

I can confirm this for the Ares. Never heard the Holo. My benchmark is a BAT VK-D5SE CD player with 4x PCM1704k.

Edited by Misterioso
Typo