HoloAudio Owners & Discussion Thread

On 26/09/2021 at 10:54 AM, buddyev said:

I like his reviews - they are among the best around. 

I do too but sometimes I don't think he is critical enough on the "darling" pieces he reviews. On the Rockna Wavedream review for example, he somewhat glossed over the fact that it didn't have USB galvanic isolation, no ability to change the I2S pin configuration and not the best timbre. Yes he mentioned them but in a low key/just in passing sort of manner.

If I spent over $16k on a DAC it would have to have all of those things and be pretty much perfect in most things it did, in fact for $16k it would also need to make the world's best cappuccino AND clean up after itself 😆

• Haha 1

On 13/09/2021 at 11:25 AM, eso said:

Do any holo may users have experience using Curious evolved usb cables? My earlier model Curious did work but didn't always get recognised.  I cannot get the new one to work on my dac. Have used it on another dac no problem. 

Not sure if interested though I found the less expensive Gothic Audio Semperfi "The Outsider" pure silver cables to be noticeably better than the Curious Evolved. They both about even in terms of detail retrieval though I preferred the sound staging and tonality of the Gothic. It is far more transparent to my ears.

One of these days I need to get around to listing my evolved.

Edited by MattyW

24 minutes ago, MattyW said:

Not sure if interested though I found the less expensive Gothic Audio Semperfi "The Outsider" pure silver cables to be noticeably better than the Curious Evolved. They both about even in terms of detail retrieval though I preferred the sound staging and tonality of the Gothic. It is far more transparent to my ears.

One of these days I need to get around to listing my evolved.

cheers, I actually bought one. However wine infusion led to buying usb c cable🤣. Used it briefly off motherboard usb but couldn't compete with jcat usb card with external power supply. No surprises. 

• Like 2

On 04/10/2021 at 11:58 AM, BioBrian said:

I read recently that May requires the 5V from the USB cable, which surprises me.

Does anybody know if that's true?

Hey Brian, the good word from Jeff at Holo is "Yes. It’s needed." Hope this helps!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's about time I revived this thread.

My Spring 3 KTE is well past 500 hours and I can honestly say that I'm not sure I heard a great deal of difference from the end of day one - it sounded great within the first few hours to my ears!

I had originally planned to keep two DACs in my setup - the Spring and one of my delta sigma DACs, but I haven't bothered. I think the biggest difference for me is the sense of instruments sounding much more REAL versus my other DACs.

I really should start selling some of my excess gear!

• Like 4

On 04/10/2021 at 10:58 AM, BioBrian said:

I read recently that May requires the 5V from the USB cable, which surprises me.

Does anybody know if that's true?

By the way, this may sound like a compromise, but there is merit to doing this as it avoids ground loops between the signal and power ground, and subsequent ground plane noise. To create a system that works well with a separate power supply requires a fair bit more complexity in the isolation of the two, and usually only works well when the DAC itself has its own power supply and the isolation has already been designed and factored in. Randomly detaching the 5v line from the USB cable and using your own supplied 5V linear power supply may actually lead to worse noise performance. Here's an example of a device that relies on 5V from the USB cable or can use a separately supplied source of power (source ASR):

Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 USB to SPDIF and I2S Converter Jittter Spectrum Wyred4Sound PS-1 Extern.png

Edited by Ittaku
  • Thanks 1