Currently Spinning

re The Pale Communion album- get the CD/ BluRay, but be aware the first addition of the BLuRay had a phase error, which is now being remedied by a replacement service.

Re the music itself- a bit more epic and dynamic than HERITAGE , with the surround mix being a knockout.

ZM.

Cool

re: the surround mix, guessing Stevie was at the controls :)

Pale Communion is the end result of jumping in the last of the V8 Interceptors and charging all the way down the 70s prog highway like a fuel injected suicide machine, a rocker, a roller, an out-of-controller. It's chockers with chunky organs and guitar solos, with not a cookie monster growl or metallic riff to be heard.

I got the CD/bluray, there apparently is an issue with one of the channels on the bluray being out of phase leading to lean bass, but I emailed Warner Music and they sent me a code to get a replacement. Not really bothered as I am more interested in the hi-res stereo mix anyway.

--Geoff

That was great :D

Hmmmm... but just as I suspected, still.. love the chunky organs, plus guitar solos.. alrighty I'm in :thumb:

• Like 1

re the query about early eco -songs:

...this is one of the earliest I can recall. Written by Bonnie Dobsen, and covered by everyone from Tim Rose, Duane Allman, Grateful Dead, and this take courtesy Jeff Beck and Rodney Stewart, back when he was a singer.

Bonnie was cheated out of copywrite by said Mr. Rose. It is a tale worth googling.

Such a simple and elegant lyric, it implies much without blatently stating anything. Simultaneously environmental and apocalyptic in tone and feel, if you do not know it, as we " elderly folk" do- you really should.

ZM. ( Senior Citizen)

Edited by Zen Mister
  • Like 2

Peter Sculthorpe - String Quartet no. 8

I can't seem to find the "Currently Touring" thread,so if anyone's interested in seeing who's playing so far at Womadelaide in March,I've listed the artists in the World Music thread.Mouth watering :)

Gorn:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/14005-GIG-GUIDE---Who's-touring-.............

GIG GUIDE - Who's touring .............

e2upyty2.jpg

Edited by rehabitat
  • Like 1

Prog, loving your current listening this evening.

Now, we have spoken about the red cordial before...............

ZM.

I'm ackshully conducting a small experiment to see how many people can dislike as many of these songs as possible. Maybe I've got nothing better to do tonight seeing the footie season is over.

There are some truly bad bastards in that list but surprise, surprise, some people like some of 'em.

• Like 1

post-132814-0-63950600-1413006686.jpg

..... I had only moderate expectations for this, and have only listened to the download so far. How ironic that the best album they have done in a few years, they give away.

I will gladly pay for this on vinyl.

I found " BOMB" and " ALL THAT YOU...." had some individual great racks, but the mastering rendered them hard and abrasive to the ear, and I seldom got thru a full listen before the fatigue set in.

This new set appears to have a bit of range, and certainly lots of space and instrumental color to offer.

Dare I say, this far into their career, U2 have done themselves proud and given us a fantastic, mature and adult rock album.

This is good on any criteria, except perhaps, cover art. I know, you cannot have everything, and I can make my own I guess.

ZM.

• Like 3

Can't believe how much I like this and Holland

Last play for the day

Could be my favourite record cover

Says a lot about life itself with the madness loose in the world today

After this it's over to the darker world for me

post-141610-0-96766400-1413011257_thumb.

• Like 1

Chewns keeping me company while I do the grubby toil:

51NowJLrXiL._SL500_AA280_.jpgOv8fg9V.jpg?151oCBnJ3aTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Sodastream - Reservations -- more stripped back than previous releases, not as Belle & Sebastiany.

Small Sips - The Morning Ripples -- with blokes from Sodastream and The Paradise Motel, getting a bit more country it seems ...

Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard -- proggy goodness for $2.95 courtesy of the JB's bargain bin this week.

--Geoff

• Like 1

Chewns keeping me company while I do the grubby toil:

51NowJLrXiL._SL500_AA280_.jpgOv8fg9V.jpg?151oCBnJ3aTL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Sodastream - Reservations -- more stripped back than previous releases, not as Belle & Sebastiany.

Small Sips - The Morning Ripples -- with blokes from Sodastream and The Paradise Motel, getting a bit more country it seems ...

Big Big Train - The Underfall Yard -- proggy goodness for $2.95 courtesy of the JB's bargain bin this week.

--Geoff

G'day Geoff, don't see you post much of late. And what grubby toil would that be? :P

• Like 1

G'day Geoff, don't see you post much of late. And what grubby toil would that be? :P

I'm too busy playing with Tonka trucks in a sandpit (or: programming robotic trucks to drive around a mine site by themselves) to hang around SNA much these days, sadly.

--Geoff

• Like 2

The Doors - Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine dbl US Radio Station White Label Promo

I considered getting the recent RSD release, until I found this locally for half the price.

Very nice condition and some lovely space in these tunes that I find too often compressed in even original Doors vinyl, and certainly the standard digital copies. Good pressing.

Most people like this dbl album for the same reason I've enjoyed it today - track selection and running list.

I really fell in love with this band the first time I heard them, and 30 years later, we're still together and deeply affectionate.   :nana

weirdscenevinyl.jpg

• Like 3

Gareth Dickson - Collected Recordings CD

a6ega2yj.jpg

Dreamy reverberant subtly droning slow-core folk music, recorded by the artist in his remote Scottish dwelling. This guy is chanelling the spirit of Nick Drake in a wonderfully low-key, unassuming fashion. Exquisite.

@@Viognier you need to hear this.

Edited by rehabitat
  • Like 3

The Doors - Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine dbl US Radio Station White Label Promo

I considered getting the recent RSD release, until I found this locally for half the price.

Very nice condition and some lovely space in these tunes that I find too often compressed in even original Doors vinyl, and certainly the standard digital copies. Good pressing.

Most people like this dbl album for the same reason I've enjoyed it today - track selection and running list.

I really fell in love with this band the first time I heard them, and 30 years later, we're still together and deeply affectionate.   :nana

weirdscenevinyl.jpg

The 2009 Burnie Grundman vinyl reissues rock !   Still available and cheap as chips.

• Like 1