Active Speaker appreciation

Just received a new pair of KSDigital C88 reference speakers and they are pretty great. 

I've been interested in active speakers for a while, and these are some of the best I've heard. 

Others I have owned include Martin Bullfrogs, Adam F5 (excellent for the porce), ME Geithain Rl903 (these are probably really the best), Aktimate minis (so fun!) And Phantoms (bass!). 

I quite like using studio monitors and pro gear in general because I feel like it's get close to how the producers hear the music when they make it. Also, the threads over on the pro music boards reveal a community obsessed with nuances of sound quality just as much as home audiophiles, but with a different flavour.

Anyway, here are pics of the C88

IMG_20190726_113127.jpg

IMG_20190726_113026.jpg

IMG_20190726_113044.jpg

IMG_20190726_113111.jpg

IMG_20190726_113117.jpg

9 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

Here's my 2 cents worth of Appreciation

I would never go back to passives having had actives for the past 8 years.

SGR's and Kii 3's are the bomb.

Regards Cazzesman

Kii3s are amazing, I agree! I've only heard SGR once and maybe not in the best setting. I'd love to hear them in a decent room.

Guest Misterioso

Hi S., What made you replace the MEGs? Still using the Funk preamp?

Cheers, J. (still happy with Quested V2108, now using a Makua preamp)

Hi J.

23 minutes ago, Misterioso said:

Hi S., What made you replace the MEGs? Still using the Funk preamp?

Cheers, J. (still happy with Quested V2108, now using a Makua preamp)

I'm still using the MEGs! It will be a long time before I part with them! The KSD are in my studio and the MEGs are at home. The Funk is having a rest at the moment. I'm currently using an RME ADI 2 DAC pre and it is great! I sold the Lampi a while back and sort of regret it, but this gets back to something close: decent hi-end sound anyway.

Makua is some pretty serious kit! Would love to hear it some time 

Guest Misterioso
3 minutes ago, sleach said:

I'm still using the MEGs! It will be a long time before I part with them!

Good to hear. Great speakers, indeed.

4 minutes ago, sleach said:

Makua is some pretty serious kit! Would love to hear it some time 

Anytime. Would be interesting to compare the Makua with the RME.

45 minutes ago, cazzesman said:

Here's my 2 cents worth of Appreciation

I would never go back to passives having had actives for the past 8 years.

SGR's and Kii 3's are the bomb.

Regards Cazzesman

Count me in x3.

Having had the SGR actives for 7 years, 6 being in the form of the MK1 iteration, dont think it will ever go back to passives.  Pity they dont have some DSP room correction kit built in, but i'm solving this with my Dirac minidsp kit coming next week.

Perhaps MK3 will take form on this.  Stuart has done so well with the MK2 upgrade.

• Like 3

Love active speakers.  People underestimate the impact having perfectly matched amplifiers to speakers.  No hassles trying to match power amps to speakers and it works out cheaper in the long run with active speakers.

I had 3 SGR actives for 6 years and now using Devialet Phantom Golds.  Have used a number of different room correction software on them, the latest being convolution on Minimserver.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Love active speakers.  People underestimate the impact having perfectly matched amplifiers to speakers.  No hassles trying to match power amps to speakers and it works out cheaper in the long run with active speakers.

I had 3 SGR actives for 6 years and now using Devialet Phantom Golds.  Have used a number of different room correction software on them, the latest being convolution on Minimserver.

My favourite thing about the Phantoms was the enormous sound you get from miniscule size. I loved playing them a nightclub volumes! My least favourite thing was Spark, and I feel much happier now using an external DAC so I can have a volume knob! 

• Like 1

ATC actives for me over the past four years.  Won't go back.  Dialled in with JL subs an active ATC centre speaker.  Have to make do with passive ATC's as HT rears though, what a let down! ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sleach said:

My least favourite thing was Spark, and I feel much happier now using an external DAC so I can have a volume knob! 

Could have got a remote.

https://www.devialet.com/en-au/accessories-phantom-premier-remote/

Not cheap, does the job well...

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo

3 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Haven't heard everything out there in the active world, but the Kii, Dutch & Dutch, Linn and Meridian are all fantastic.

Next speakers for me will be the Kiis, unless the Meridians win me over!

Meridians are the way to go...........but then I'm biased since I have them. Which model are you looking at?

11 hours ago, anandpkumar said:

Kii, Dutch & Dutch

That's where I would go. The Kii with the bass modules...?

But I am biased since I really like the aesthetics of pro studio monitors!

Edited by sleach

11 hours ago, PleasantSounds said:

I started my active journey with Yamaha HS8 monitors supported by the Temblor T10 sub. Worked pretty well, but as soon as the Kii 3 became available in oz, I got them. They work so well I can't imagine ever replacing them.

You went from Hs8 to Kii? That's quite a step up! Congrats! Do you use subs with the kiis?

59 minutes ago, sleach said:

You went from Hs8 to Kii? That's quite a step up! Congrats! Do you use subs with the kiis?

The HS8 just confirmed for me that this is the right direction, but the sub even though it helped a lot was never spot on.  

When I heard the Kiis I knew right away that they've got the sound I wanted, and financially this was the right time for me to take that step.

The room they're in is fairly small (home office), so it really helps that I could do away with the sub, plus the room modes are under control, even with the placement a few inches from the side walls. Sub definitely not needed - here's the in-room FR graph before corrections:

kii3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest Misterioso

Happy with my active speakers as well. Just add a dac with volume control (and preferably a phono stage) and you are done.

Music_20190727_0002.jpg.e3ee13cb5fb5c498f39ac09c23a2e3c3.jpg