The wonderful NBN.

@Art Vandelay Well mine doesn't even have to fight snakes or spiders, just drill through a wall and then use the yellow tongue in the ceiling. We still coax hanging from conduit on the outside of our shop, he didn't even install the external box

Guys , if you are in Perth I highly recommend Pentanet. Call centre is in Perth at head office so if issues do arise you speak to a local. Took them less than a week from joining them till the NBN service was up and running .They offer NBN and fixed wireless and in many cases FW is giving higher speeds than the NBN.

Guest Muon N'
1 hour ago, Batty said:

yes

That bites!

:(

Hope they pick it up, as you should not be out of pocket for their inefficiency in providing a service, or attempting to provide.

On 05/03/2019 at 10:25 AM, Art Vandelay said:

The creation of a new gov't owned wholesale monopoly is of far greater significance for the industry moving forward than the choice of technology, because the gov't will be forever obligated to protect the asset as emerging alternatives inevitably present themselves. 

Or... alternatively, protect the NBN by deploying said alternatives.

What you're saying is certainly a concern .... but there is little evidence that private players would do what was needed.   For example, why wasn't there more high-speed DSL and fixed-wireless installs, before NBN?

In major cities the MTM NBN as it is now will evolve over time to FTTC / P simply due to the population growth driven development / redevelopment which effectively creates greenfields out of brownfields on a daily basis. 

I'm not sure I see how converting "nodes" on street corners and basements.... to nodes near your letter box (or closer) .... qualifies as "greenfields".

..... oh, or hangon.   Do you mean "knock down old buildings" ... greenfields.   In which case, right - I see.  Although there's not a huge amount of that in my city  ;) 

The role of wireless, both mobility-enabled and fixed,  will also be significant, and it's of course very true that the threat of 4G /5G was never correctly identified by the most credentialed of academics in the country. Actually, worse than that, they provided about a dozen good reasons why "wireless" for last mile was completely unviable that have proved to be completely false.      

Can you elaborate on either of these?

I have seen analysis of the "threat of 4G", from 10 years ago when the model was still being debated....   the threat wasn't hard to work out as we knew what speeds/service were going to be available.

I don't see how it is viable compared to fibre optic and high speed DSL.      My understanding is we will just not be able to cover the land in multi-gpbs services using wireless with any tech that is even in the lab today, at a sane cost.

I think it's a long bow to draw, that just because wireless operators, have high speed services for some of the population.... and they've chosen to now deliver data at speeds which competes with the NBN average use-case.....  That the NBN is flawed for not considering the "threat of 4G".     4G networks would be crushed if everyone took them up, and tried to pull the volume of data through them that we do on the wired fast-mile.

.... but it would be cool if there was something, so (?!) 

This means that a wireless dongle plugged into a NBN modem will be able to provide instantaneous bursts to meet user demand as required.

Assuming we had a fast enough wired network, we wouldn't need to do this ..... and could leave "wireless" for where it's actually required.

On 07/03/2019 at 12:15 PM, Art Vandelay said:

20km from the largest CBD in the southern hemisphere and the local area doesn't really have ADSL (see attached speed test), and NBN availability still about 12 months away. If not for wireless I would have no fast internet connectivity at all.

image.png.bec83ae4574118bada81c1562a8b75af.png

C'mon Art.

I would have thought (sorry, if not) that you are aware that this is a faulty DSL service (get it fixed), or a congested ISP (get a new one).

DSL services are guaranteed to work stably on G.lite (fixed at 1.5mbps down)   Something is brokened.....  although you probably get better speeds than any ADSL on your wireless service, so.  :) 

NBN guys crawled around under my very spidery dark house.... even though I warned them it was full of spidey.    Although I did go down there with them to "help".... so that might have made them feel safe, I dunno.

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-reveals-uneven-spread-of-50mbps-capable-premises-520166

It’s important to note that the government’s statement of expectations did not specifically promise an even distribution of 50Mbps-capable premises across all states and territories.

“The government expects the network will provide peak wholesale download data rates (and
proportionate upload rates) of at least 25 megabits per second to all premises, and at least 50
megabits per second to 90 percent of fixed line premises as soon as possible,” the key passage states.

On 07/03/2019 at 3:59 PM, Batty said:

When they ask for it back I shall drop it off in a Telstra shop.

If it's at all like unordered merchandise they have to pick it up, you can charge storage fees, and keep it if they don't collect. Just let them know it's there.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-makes-final-move-to-kill-off-12mbps-broadband-plans-522963

The ability of the media to twist things is pretty good.

The real version:

• ISPs short change customers by offering them a "pipe of size X" but filling it with "almost zero water" (as opposed to X water).
  • NBN alters pricing model to ISPs forcing them to buy a small amount of water with each pipe they buy  (meaning they are less likely to be able to intentionally short change their customers).
  • This erodes flexibility for ISPs, and in itself is a market distortion.
  • NBN changes pricing models.  No longer forces ISPs into buying water.  Signals eventual end to 12mbps services

Media says this is bad (and NBN sucks) because:

Most ISPs choose not to offer 25mbps services .... meaning people on 12mbps, will have to jump to 50mbps.     This is the ISPs choice to not offer 25mbs.   They do it, precisely so customers will have to make the jump and pay more for 50.

Internet will be congested again Because ISPs choose to not fill the pipes  (NBN are no longer artificially intervening)

People will have to eventually get off 12mbps services.     Ignoring the government directive that the NBN will run at 25mbps or higher  (ie. what the people voted for).

Lots of people use 12mbps services.    The numbers the media provide don't take into account all the 12mbps services used for "voice only".

Conclusion:    It's class warfare.   /s

ISPs have it tough as many consumers would like year 2004 pricing, and it's a race to the bottom.

Price of everything else has gone up decade on decade.   Why expect internet price to not go up, especially when speeds and volumes increased markedly ?!?

Anyways.   This could have been much better with leadership.   Every NBN connection should just come with 2mbps of internet connectivity totally free of cost.... no ISP required.    Build the cost into the NBN operating model/cost - it actually wouldn't cost much.

I am poor (or whatever), I move into a new house.   I get the electricity turned on.... the internet also works (it's free, and ubiquitous).   Civilisation.

• Like 2

I have given up trying to get NBN and gone wireless.

5 times I applied and 5 times cancelled by Telstra, I'm not blaming NBN co at all.

I am now with Optus 4G wireless internet, yes the speed varies a lot I have had speeds of 5Mbps and 50+.

Pricing isn't bad, probably the best on the market at $80 for 500Gb (Telstra wanted $90 for 100Gb) per month. Free modem on a 2 year contract. I think it was $189 for the modem if on a no contract basis.

• Like 1

Telstra are blaming NBN Co saying that the HFC rollout has temporarily stopped in our area.

I can wait until all the dust has settled and will try again in 2 years. everything other than NBN is due to be cut off in September this year.

my home is now nbn ready and will be getting a HFC connection. We currently have foxtel but it is on the otherside of the home from my modem and hence, the home of my Ethernet network. Even talking to sales people at ISP's, they don't seem to know where the tech will connect to. I thought it was the closest phone line to the street???

We have a phone line point in the front bedroom but again that isn't appropriate for nbn, but I can easily put a blank plate over the point to hide it.

Edited by blybo

16 minutes ago, blybo said:

my home is now nbn ready and will be getting a HFC connection. We currently have foxtel but it is on the otherside of the home from my modem and hence, the home of my Ethernet network. Even talking to sales people at ISP's, they don't seem to know where the tech will connect to. I thought it was the closest phone line to the street???

We have a phone line point in the front bedroom but again that isn't appropriate for nbn, but I can easily put a blank plate over the point to hide it.

commiserations... :D 

they will bung the socket the closest point there is next to point of entry into the house... thats it... no ifs no buts no maybe... they literally drill right through :D dont even put a wall plate. usually through floor point on the skirting board with a socket... nothing to do with phone lines they will all just be unconnected useless from here on hence :D 

Guest Muon N'

Al, is correct, HFC doesn't use old phone lines, It's Fiber to the node and cable from the node.

I got sick of the sound of a masonry bit hammering through the various unit balconies here when they were getting the place ready. Ass of a sound to wake up to :lol:

1 hour ago, Muon N' said:

Al, is correct, HFC doesn't use old phone lines, It's Fiber to the node and cable from the node.

I got sick of the sound of a masonry bit hammering through the various unit balconies here when they were getting the place ready. Ass of a sound to wake up to :lol:

I understand this, but surely there has to be some common sense, as I'm told they will not get paid until you've signed off on it. My study where the modem is currently (and where my ethernet network branches out from) is easily reached from the point my foxtel currently ends at in an under stair equipment room. I already have cat 5 back to the study from there so they could use that as a draw wire, as long as it's putlled back again.

3 hours ago, betty boop said:

they will bung the socket the closest point there is next to point of entry into the house... thats it... no ifs no buts no maybe... they literally drill right through :D dont even put a wall plate.

I've already had 1 of my shops connected to HFC and yes it took 3 call outs but eventually a guy took it on. I could have done better but at least he did (poorly) run ducting back to where our modem and phone was... but that is the only obvious spot for the business to have it run to.

Guest Muon N'
9 minutes ago, blybo said:

I understand this, but surely there has to be some common sense, as I'm told they will not get paid until you've signed off on it. My study where the modem is currently (and where my ethernet network branches out from) is easily reached from the point my foxtel currently ends at in an under stair equipment room. I already have cat 5 back to the study from there so they could use that as a draw wire, as long as it's putlled back again.

I'm not sure if common sense has much to do with it, more likely they will do what is as straight forward and easiest for them. If they use that existing coax cable that foxtel is using, then it maybe that, that will be where the modem will reside, or on that existing path of the coax cable.

Of course, I'm guessing and I could be horribly wrong :)

Hope it goes as you wish it to :thumb:

Hello netizens,

After waiting 2+ extra years from the originally-promised date of NBN availability, the NBNCo has advised that my suburb is now "LIVE" for NBN connection.

Today I contacted my current NBN provider (only been on ADSL2 for about a year) and submitted the online application. I don't need NBN as ADLS2 was sufficient for my needs (Internet, Netflix, email), but no choice for me.

Since they started rolling out the NBN, my phone line has been useless. First time they cut the phone line and internet for 10 days. This time I didn't bother reporting the phone, as the internet still works (however, quite a few drop-outs...like a Telstra ADSL connection ). It's been a month now, but I don't like being grilled by the Support Team when I have never created a false call-out due to my own ignorance. (20-odd years in IT and Communication Support for a Call Centre).

Maybe I'll contact them again soon, but Telstra appear to have low respect for me as a phone customer because I moved to a new provider after giving them (far too much of) my money for most of my time at this residence/ address.

I'll keep you abreast of any developments.

• Like 1

I'm with Internode and have HFC NBN and I've gotta say I've had nothing but excellent service and performance, and I am an extremely heavy user. Many years ago whilst on ADSL2 I switched away from Internode for a much cheaper provider that offered the same alleged performance but had nothing but trouble and eventually switched back. I've been happily paying the price premium of using Internode ever since and have had the continued better service.

• Like 2

On 02/04/2019 at 9:01 AM, Batty said:

Telstra are blaming NBN Co saying that the HFC rollout has temporarily stopped in our area

Oh, ok.   It sounded like Telstra were putting in a order to NBN co ... and the order was being rejected by NBN co.

This makes more sense.