The wonderful NBN.

Yes you are and with regard to cabling, lucky to be able to get under the house, I'm on a slab .

I have an Ethernet run from my equipment room to the study but internet is currently travelling to the equipment room from the study (modem location). After some extra thinking about things, if I put the nbn modem in my equipment room and a switch in my study (where my Ethernet cabling is meant to branch out from) and 1 extra patch lead, I don't need any extra cabling done, it's just a hoch poch of a network that you would never do from scratch, but workable...

Can't believe I didn't think of this before. I guess I just wanted it done right, rather than finding a work around solution.
Sounds like a plan , glad to hear you can resolve - too hard dealing with uncooperative entities!

My accountant told me guys showed up to his business unannounced and started Jack hammering up concrete near his front door.
Then told him too hard so wouldn't be able to install.

Took him over 6 months pestering companies, who all denied being involved.
Tried threatening with CCTV footage proving guys were from a certain company then he heard they had labelled him hostile so had abandoned him.

Took a client of his with NBN friend to get it resolved.
All while his clients had to traverse a crator taped off near his door!
  • Like 1

This just as bad a situation as the pick batts fiasco, homes may not burn down but some people older people need guaranteed phone line and aren't aware if internet goes out, their phone drops out too. I'm told installers are getting $120 per installation so your bloke had a very good day, and they are rarely suppyling ducting so it's just their time.

Your accountant tells a familiar theme. We had them show up and dig up a trench at our shopping strip making entry to 6 or 7 shops impossible, all without notice! Luckily they only had to dig ours up 3 times to get it right... and this is on a shopping strip that was re-paved only 18 months previously.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, evil c said:

Sounds like a plan , glad to hear you can resolve - too hard dealing with uncooperative entities!

My accountant told me guys showed up to his business unannounced and started Jack hammering up concrete near his front door.
Then told him too hard so wouldn't be able to install.

Took him over 6 months pestering companies, who all denied being involved.
Tried threatening with CCTV footage proving guys were from a certain company then he heard they had labelled him hostile so had abandoned him.

Took a client of his with NBN friend to get it resolved.
All while his clients had to traverse a crator taped off near his door!

not great they dug up all over our street.... even though we have pits and trenches ! and with us even showing them where the pits are numerous times.... made a mess of peoples front yards stuffed cement and gravel all over gardens killing everything underneath. We have had to pay for all that to remedy ...

I am reading about this with interest and some worries, as my is just about ready to be connected.   One thing, I have ethernet cables to quite a few rooms in my house, but I find I am just not using them anymore.  Everything, even Netflix, seems to run fine from Wifi.   Is it time to stop worrying about hard wiring?

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

Is it time to stop worrying about hard wiring?

Really depends on quite a few factors ...  I think we will be perpetually living in a time when wireless is enough for some and not for others.

It's almost certain that higher speeds of wireless will be shorter frequencies, and so won't penetrate walls and distance as well as current standards.    So you'll need more radios around the house, and ideally each of those connect with a cable back to a central switch  (rather than the extra radios being just "repeaters").

I would always cable a house, if the opportunity presented.

3 hours ago, blybo said:

We had them show up and dig up a trench at our shopping strip making entry to 6 or 7 shops impossible, all without notice! 

Lawyer up.  This seems like a slam dunk.

3 hours ago, blybo said:

and aren't aware if internet goes out, their phone drops out too.

Their service provider are under a very serious obligation to make them aware of this... and explain alternatives for people who need it.

Big drawback of moving away from the original NBN design, which had all that figured out  (ie. phones which work independently from the internet/ISP... work in a power outage.... and can call 000)

We have had to pay for all that to remedy ...

NBN subcontractors had to dig a ~15m trench around my front lawn.   Left it in a pretty bad state, with pretty dirty fill (rocks/weeds) used to finish the trench.

Complained ...  they came back, and fixed it (actually I think it might have been another mob)

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

I am reading about this with interest and some worries, as my is just about ready to be connected.   One thing, I have ethernet cables to quite a few rooms in my house, but I find I am just not using them anymore.  Everything, even Netflix, seems to run fine from Wifi.   Is it time to stop worrying about hard wiring?

Not if you use Roon or tidal. Ethernet is more reliable in that scenario. Hence why I need Ethernet from my study to living room

3 hours ago, aussievintage said:

some things I wire.... streaming, media, firmware updates all that you want to be wired...

wireless is great for surfing... casual stuff. watching the odd thing on youtube and such but I have things like media streamers. anything that needs firmware updates hard wired... 

37 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Really depends on quite a few factors ...  I think we will be perpetually living in a time when wireless is enough for some and not for others.

It's almost certain that higher speeds of wireless will be shorter frequencies, and so won't penetrate walls and distance as well as current standards.    So you'll need more radios around the house, and ideally each of those connect with a cable back to a central switch  (rather than the extra radios being just "repeaters").

I would always cable a house, if the opportunity presented.

My one little router does the whole house and yard.  It's a standard brick veneer.  "Current standards" yes, it's all that is needed for smooth operation of Netflix at normal HD.  Maybe if 4K takes off, more may be needed

3 minutes ago, betty boop said:

some things I wire.... streaming, media, firmware updates all that you want to be wired...

wireless is great for surfing... casual stuff. watching the odd thing on youtube and such but I have things like media streamers. anything that needs firmware updates hard wired... 

Exactly the opposite of what I was saying.  Netflix etc works fine on Wifi.  I have a cable sitting there, and a streaming box/computer, but just haven't bothered.  I just use Chromecast anyway now.

Is there any benefits to a powered gigabyte switch as compared to a un-powered one? Can you get unpowered in more than 5 ports? I’d need all 5 already and could potentially use more right now in my study. I don’t need to control anything from the switch, just maximise bandwidth from the modem to as many as 8 wired devices downstream from the switch, but some in another room that already has a 5 port switch going to Foxtel, Apple tv and Roon endpoint 

19 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Why would audio not work if video from Netflix does work?   

Don’t ask me why, it is just what I and others have found. Remember Netflix will throttle resolution depending on bandwidth, Tidal is at least red book quality and Roon seems to need a wired connection to perform reliably. I wanted to move my computer to a spare bedroom and make it the study, but it has no Ethernet and Roon via wifi was a disaster. Had to put the computer back in the study even though it’s really a cardio room these days. One day I’ll get a small dedicated Roon core computer and put the home/work computer back upstairs

8 minutes ago, blybo said:

Don’t ask me why, it is just what I and others have found. Remember Netflix will throttle resolution depending on bandwidth,

Yes, but on the rare occasion I have seen it do that, it is very noticeable.  So 99.9% of the time it manages full res, plenty of bandwidth.

9 minutes ago, blybo said:

Tidal is at least red book quality and Roon seems to need a wired connection to perform reliably.

They must have protocol problems if they need more bandwidth than video (which includes multi-channel audio).   Spotify also streams fine here, as do the various free internet radio stations, although many of them are lower quality, I know.

4 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Yes, but on the rare occasion I have seen it do that, it is very noticeable.  So 99.9% of the time it manages full res, plenty of bandwidth.

They must have protocol problems if they need more bandwidth than video (which includes multi-channel audio).   Spotify also streams fine here, as do the various free internet radio stations, although many of them are lower quality, I know.

Netflix is lossy, Tidal is not. A Netflix hi res movie is a tiny file compared to the blu-Ray or UHD disc of the same movie.

imnot defending Tidal or Roon here, just stating what is required for reliable use. Even guys who already have nbn can’t get it to work over Wi-Fi 

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

Why would audio not work if video from Netflix does work?   

Dunno. Roon via wifi works fine here with a gigantic library, highres audio etc..... but from what I read about it, the way it's architected it needs quite a robust network.

1 hour ago, blybo said:

Netflix is lossy, Tidal is not.

This isn't thre real answer, in the way those terms (lossy / lossless) are normally meant.

Full quality netflix takes 15 times more network bandwidth than full quality tidal.

The true cause is how they are transmitting/buffering the information.... and what happens if the buffer is going to run out.

The Netflix network is vastly more capable than Tidal ... and drop back to lower quality streams if the user needs it.

Tidal uses 1mbps

Netflix uses 15mbps full quality down to 0.6mbps lowest quality.

2 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Full quality netflix takes 15 times more network bandwidth than full quality tidal.

Yes.  Of course video and 5+ channel audio is going to need much more bandwidth.

2 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

The true cause is how they are transmitting/buffering the information.... and what happens if the buffer is going to run out.

Is that buffering more the problem with the receiving app?  Not that it matters.  A premium(ly priced) service like Tidal should get it right.

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently switched from ADSL to FTTN NBN. I opted for a Tier50 plan, but the max line speed isn't more than 6Mbps Up and 26Mbps Down, not much better than my old ADSL connection.

According to Telstra, the lengthy of my copper line is 1200 meter, and they want to move me to a lower tier plan.

The funny thing is that there is a mini Node at my neighbours front door, less than 50 meter away, and a full node less than 850 meter down the street.

So how does this work? It almost looks like they switched me over at the old ADSL exchange that is roughly 1200 meter away.

Anyone having a good idea about how to deal with this, into reducing the amount of "copper"

Should the old ADSL  modem still function after nbn is enabled?     

I ask because I am dealing with a stuffup for an organisation that had an NBN modem sent to them and were told a date when NBN switchover would occur. Having tried the new modem after that date, and being able to get an NBN connection light on the modem, they struck further problems,  so the old ADSL modem was put back, and it re-connected and is currently providing them with internet services while the other stuff is sorted out.

This surprised me a bit, as people have said they were without internet during the switchover.

29 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I ask because I am dealing with a stuffup for an organisation that had an NBN modem sent to them and were told a date when NBN switchover would occur. Having tried the new modem after that date, and being able to get an NBN connection light on the modem, they struck further problems,  so the old ADSL modem was put back, and it re-connected and is currently providing them with internet services while the other stuff is sorted out.

This surprised me a bit, as people have said they were without internet during the switchover.

The provider would have had to have enabled it. During my switch over, ADSL stopped working at precisely the moment my NBN started working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussievintage said:

am sure they have provided a provision for switchback given issues presented....ours was just a straight switchover as others I have encountered going through the same :) though even with problems we were never switched back. id say probably a case of no service or pretty bad rather than intermittent which is typically issue many face ? 

Hi all

I am in the process of changing nbn providers. Currently no contract, pay monthly. My estimated activation from the new provider is 22nd May. My monthly payment is due 21st May with the current provider and can be cancelled any time.

My question.

Can I cancel the current provider a day before the new activation or is an active connection needed?

Any input appreciated. I will call the new provider Monday to see what they have to say but would like a little knowledge pre phone call.

Thanks

43 minutes ago, Hazzzy said:

Hi all

I am in the process of changing nbn providers. Currently no contract, pay monthly. My estimated activation from the new provider is 22nd May. My monthly payment is due 21st May with the current provider and can be cancelled any time.

My question.

Can I cancel the current provider a day before the new activation or is an active connection needed?

Any input appreciated. I will call the new provider Monday to see what they have to say but would like a little knowledge pre phone call.

Thanks

Your current arrangement (? ADSL+) will cease immediately the NBN is connected and you will have no phone or internet service unless you have another (NBN) plan in place.  I suggest you get a move on.  Isn't the new provider contactable at weekends?  If not, that's a bit of a worry.