Bluesound Owners & Discussion Thread

Good stuff and thanks for sharing.  I did the same mod with my node 2i. Digital out feeding a pair of  hypex fusion dsp plate amps (which incidentally uses smps and still sound good).    My experience on the subjective improvements (the website shows measured improvements in noise) mirror yours.  

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing this. It is good to know that there is an option for the various models of the Node and it is relatively easy to change the power supply.

This should be an obvious upgrade for most Node owners...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/07/2021 at 4:56 PM, naggots said:

F1DDCBA5-CA73-42BA-B77A-6D73CC47FD5B.thumb.jpeg.7602da77ea158789059d035480a28add.jpegI have recently aquired a Node 2i from this forum. I had a Node 2 before but sold it on as it didn’t really compete with my Mac Mini/Gieseler setup. I did however miss the BluOS and the ease of Spotify connect without having to engage Mac/Dac etc. the kids especially prefer the Node. 

After reading about PD Creative and their Low Noise Power Interface upgrade for the Node 2/2i I thought I’d give them a go. Relatively cheap upgrade at $207 AUD delivered. Having been a convert to Gieseler Dacs and his Power supplies I know first hand how improvements in the power supply help. 

I ordered the LNPI with SMPU from Poland on Tuesday and it arrived Friday….. and that was the cheap post option!!

The LNPI is a small PCB that replaces the Nodes internal power 240v supply with a 5v version. A medical quality Meanwell 5v 5A SMPU power brick is supplied.  75088971-3A2B-4A05-83E9-FF95D70AA1A7.thumb.jpeg.0cf3d9abe503c3047b63b6eee18778df.jpegThere are some plots of noise of the 240v unit compared to the 5v unit on a forum somewhere and they are chalk and cheese……..521DB80A-3D85-4131-ADFB-8E5917796FAB.thumb.jpeg.667958bff9d64139b85030a0ae918d3a.jpeg

Installation was simple, 15mins, the Old 240v PCB is removed and kept for later if you like

Straight away there is more grunt in the presentation. More bass and way more dynamic. I always found Spotify to be flat sounding in a boring but OK kind of way if you know what I mean. The kids use it for Parties and it’s OK for that I guess. Spotify User interface and Playlist sharing features make it the the No 1 choice for them. 

There is far more presence now, more separation and detail. I’m really impressed. Soundstage a little more forward with some stereo effects almost startling when they jump out……. Not like the Spotify I know…….

I can compare the Mac and Node pretty easily as they both run through my Gieseler Kompakt, AKM edition. Mac connected via Curious USB and Node via Bills Cables Silver coax.

I don’t run the Node using it’s internal DAC so cannot comment. One of the Blogs suggest there is little improvement with Digital out compared to the larger improvement in the analogue out from the Node…… I beg to differ and every system is different. 

I do prefer the Node now for streaming duties. it has clearly improved. It is set and forget stable streaming that sounds better than the Mac. The Mac however trumps it when using Audirvana and my own CD rips on HDD. 

I haven’t compared the Node to any other streamers but for $200ish upgrade I’d wager this Node competes with far more expensive streamers now, especially if you can pick one up on SNA for $600 and mod it !!!! The main advantage more expensive streamers have is with power supplies and DACs. The BluOS is hard to beat at any price and my Kompakt is also pretty handy in the dac department 😉

PD Creative also supply a LPSU which is currently out of stock until 29/7, 5v, 2.5A. It is around $258AUD + post. This brings more improvements according to the blogs, it is cheap enough to try I guess. Another candidate would of course be a Gieseler Kraftwerk 5v 3a supply which would be about as good as you get for an LPSU at $650. Im going to try Clays of course 😂

I am in no way affiliated with PD Creative but I am impressed with their prompt service and great quality product at a good price. You can buy the LNPI without the SMPU but I figured the meanwell was priced cheaper than Oz and useful elsewhere. 

https://pd-cf.com

4EECF7C2-7FBC-47F9-9F1E-21D4FA504D84.jpeg

F559C0B0-BB3D-4F17-A3C0-7E6418165DD7.jpeg

90D3BBC8-E528-4D80-9F05-B57B5A4FB067.jpeg

F7A22431-7C4D-45C9-BDAE-9958C57AC85E.jpeg

10EF062A-0F18-46CD-A923-4B84304C6A8B.jpeg

25974E37-678B-497E-8504-37FEAD208DB9.jpeg

DABFA166-0935-494B-A848-DBAA96F3F6D3.jpeg

294E02A5-4623-4437-A3AA-3B085BB86C49.jpeg

FYI.... I found my ifi Power x SMPS sounded noticeably better than my Meanwell on my Pi2aes streamer.  Just a heads up. 

I suspect a nice LPS would be a further improvement. This looks like a good buy... 1uv noise through audio band. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001288349011.html. I might grab one. 

I would love a Super Farad 3, but they are quite the investment. 

Edited by Grizaudio
  • Like 1

I bought the v3 PD Creative low

noise power supply for the latest Node and will wait

for one to pop up on SNAI’m going to keep the 2i version as it sounds good with its PS and I don’t expect any more from 320kps streaming…… roll on Spotify HiFi. BluOS is a great platform if you have a few zones   This PS upgrade is great value 

Edited by naggots
  • Like 1

thanks for sharing your experience with the PD creative power supply upgrade @naggots

I’ve also ordered and just received mine after reading your review, arrived in under a week with the cheap postage option 👍🏻.

I haven’t had time to install yet, most likely this weekend.

@naggots have you tried playing your stored music on HD connected to the Node? In my experience it rivalled my previous MacMini/ Audivarna set up.

I haven’t tried. All my HD music is in the Itunes AIFF ethos that doesn’t easily talk to anything else…….. it was a big mistake I made around 10yrs ago ripping 500+ CDs into iTunes as WAV and AIFF “lossless”. 

im hoping Spotify HiFi sounds as good as Audirvana/Mac then I can do away with It all……..

Thanks for sharing.

Last night I ordered 2 of the Bluesound Node 2 & 2i upgrade kits – low noise PSU interface + SMPSU.  Total cost for the 2 units including shipping by UPS was AUD $343.87 = 917.51 PLN so thats $172 per unit.  Bargain 😃

I procrastinated for a couple of hours about getting the more expensive PSU unit option but decided to go with the cheaper Mean Well PSU unit, well at this stage.  I reasoned that the advantage of better power electronics, improved PSU and isolating the power supply away from the main unit should achieve the core design advantages.  More expensive PSU's would be nice, but the option cost doubled plus there were higher freight costs with the additional weight. I assume would be over kill in my case where the Bluesound 2i units are both on secondary systems in my home.  Still I can always upgrade the PSU's in the future.

Over the weekend I successfully upgraded my Lumin Mini U1 with the SPower kit, the Lumin is a source for my main listening systems (x2).  Getting the unit out of its case took some effort as it was well and truly jammed in, my electrician son came to my rescue after my failed attempts at sliding it out, every family should have a tradesman in it 🙃  Having instructions in B and W was annoying with cable colours and it would have been a lot easier with colour photos.  Its now running along happily and sounds good, all subjective of course 🙂

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing this. I've been thinking about upgrading my Node2i to a better streamer, but this could be the better option as I really prefer BluOS. Not looking to pay for Roon so I think it gives me the best interface for other people to use.

Has anyone compared the psu upgrade to another streamer? 

Currently using Node2i in my main system (in living room) so prefer 1 box solution, and a standard Rpi running Volumio in my 2nd system. Feels like I need a separate post for this.

*I think I just grabbed the last combo SMPSU kit. Hope someone else didn't miss out.

Edited by dannyngx
  • Like 3

finally got around to installing the PD Creative Power Supply Upgrade.

Was a fairly simple process and took me about 20 minutes.

Plugged back in and Node 2i lights up, all appears ok.

Will have a listen later tonight and report back.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, dannyngx said:

a thought just came to me, there's no easy way of A/B compare this right? I suppose if you could borrow another unit with stock psu.

Good question ... I have 2 so the obvious thing is to do one 1st and then compare .. my units have been shipped and cleared Polish Customs, saying arriving tomorrow late afternoon somehow ?? We shall see 🙃  I assume they need a little burn in time so maybe do them a week apart.

I did my Lumin U1 mini Spower upgrade on Sunday .. ran it up for a few songs and didn't notice much difference.  So as the unit is left running  24x7 and they say it improves with some burn in time I left it for a few days before giving it a decent go  ..  did a 4 hour session yesterday, complaints about the loud music from family members but dutifully ignored, there is sound proofing in all the theatre walls but they persisted, as did the dogs in opening the doors (1.5 solid core doors) and coming in and then not closing them 😁 .. I just got lost in how good it was sounding, subjectively a good improvement .. more detail and separation on busy pieces and a sweeter sound stage than I remember. Now I don't have a big expectation with the Node 2i as quite a cost difference in the Streamers and power upgrades, but any improvement is a good improvement 🙂  We await their arrival.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 05/08/2021 at 11:03 PM, Grizaudio said:

FYI.... I found my ifi Power x SMPS sounded noticeably better than my Meanwell on my Pi2aes streamer.  Just a heads up. 

I suspect a nice LPS would be a further improvement. This looks like a good buy... 1uv noise through audio band. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001288349011.html. I might grab one. 

I would love a Super Farad 3, but they are quite the investment. 

Thanks for this .. have ordered a GZLOZONE 2020 ($263 delivered) to try on one my Node 2i upgrades which incidentally arrived today, 5 days from Poland .. damm .. takes longer from Melbourne !!!  Such impressive UPS shipping. 

I am waiting months for a Chinese shipment (thru Amazon when the supplier was USA based), fooled again !!!

1 hour ago, Rosco8 said:

Thanks for this .. have ordered a GZLOZONE 2020 ($263 delivered) to try on one my Node 2i upgrades which incidentally arrived today, 5 days from Poland .. damm .. takes longer from Melbourne !!!  Such impressive UPS shipping. 

I am waiting months for a Chinese shipment (thru Amazon when the supplier was USA based), fooled again !!!

yeah shipping times are crazy at the moment. I ordered a Record from the U.S recently, it arrived in Australia in 7 days and has not moved for the last 10 days. Australia Post struggling.

4 hours ago, Rosco8 said:

I would be keen to understand your thoughts on build quality, and improvements in subjective sound performance (If any). 

I like that the unit is fused. That's a bonus. 

Installed.

1st one is on my living room system, playing a Brazil playlist off Tidal which has been cycling for a couple of weeks, system is used when i am doing some serious cooking (fairly regularly with lock down) and also when working around the house.  So do i notice a difference ??  hard to say, maybe a little with detail and bottom end .. now this system was my number 1 system at some point (AR LS15 pre, Bryston 4bsst and Dynaudio C2 Plats) and it always sounds great in the living/dining/kitchen area as its a large space which seem to really suit the speakers.  So its very musical, detailed and just wonderful to listen to before i made the upgrade.

So installed number 2 unit on my Bedroom system (all valve amps, Ayon Auris pre, Radford STA25 and Apogee Slant 6's) which sometimes i found a little middlely on some tracks with the Node 2i (vs CD's), now I do notice an improvement, its opened up and has more dynamics.  All subjective of course.

So bottom line .. yeh glad i did it 🙂

Next upgrade will be the GZLOZONE 2020 power supplies coming from China.  Be interesting to see what improvement they make, yes i did order a 2nd one, this time with DHL shipping which should arrive a lot faster than using China Post (slow boat from China, silly me), and i will look at their build quality when they arrive.

Edited by Rosco8
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, dannyngx said:

My kit just arrived today, wow 7 days from Poland to Melbourne. I'll try to install it and report back.

Just finished installing. My first impression is it's made significant improvements. 

Vocal still sounds about the same, but acoustic instruments sound fuller, a bit more bass, and I hear a bit more details. On the same set of tracks I played before and after the change. 

• Like 4