Covers that are better than the original

On 07/12/2009 at 9:24 PM, danter said:

Remember Blue Ruin ? - they did a brilliant cover of "Venus' which got lost due to Bananarama (gulp) releasing the same track at the same time.

Guns & Roses - Knockin' on Heavens Door (Sorry Bob)

• Like 2

I actually think the original is a better song (Linda Lyndell 1968), but salt n pepa do have merit. Plus, it's an interesting comparison - on the face value, song wasn't changed that much, but the vibe is soooo different.

Edit: never knew it was a cover - just chanced upon the original on a community FM radio - 3D (DDD) Adelaide.

Edited by zippi
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a cover that is better than the original. 

I agree with Wendy Carlos' perspective on the Switched on Bach cover, noting it "was a clownish, trivializing image of a mugging Bach, supposedly hearing some absurd sound from his earphones. That these were plugged into the input, not output, of a 914 Filter module, which in turn was connected to nothing, assured that silence is all that would have greeted Johann Sebastian's ears."  (Wikipedia)

Replacement (superior) cover:

image.png

Original cover:

image.png

Edited by audiofeline

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, unclemack said:

This was a stupid song until I heard this version. It’s actually a beautiful plaintive love song. Just not when those Scottish idiots sang it. Lovely reading.

Yep, they've brought it into the 21st century alright.......which explains why I'm now yawning profusely.?? Sorry......:)

• Like 2

Yep, they've brought it into the 21st century alright.......which explains why I'm now yawning profusely.[emoji30][emoji932] Sorry......[emoji4]

That’s fine. I mean it’s not for everyone. I just like the fact that they’ve given the lyrics some meaning. Nothing wrong with 21st century music, as long as you don’t get it from the radio.
  • Like 1