So I added an Ikea bamboo chopping block

1 minute ago, dwbasement said:

The squash ball will work also, I use them too for some...i used the sobrethene hemisphere, they come in different diameter to suit the weight.

20200609_215905.jpg

Nice. That looks  exceptionally neat also.  They've compressed quite a bit, look rock solid but the amps are obviously weighty beasts!!

One week at I am at IKEA and Bunnings and this week could be Rebel sports - HiFi related Shopping!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

Nice. That looks  exceptionally neat also.  They've compressed quite a bit, look rock solid but the amps are obviously weighty beasts!!

One week at I am at IKEA and Bunnings and this week could be Rebel sports - HiFi related Shopping!!!

You will need the 50cm diameter ones for heavy amps.

they do compressed a bit at the bottom in times, you do want them to compress a bit though, like the springs I think...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

• 5 months later...

I regularly test my speaker toppers to confirm that the floating centre 1kg+ weight is still floating, with just the lightest of touches with one finger the weight should move, in any direction it is pushed.

Monkey Noodles are what is under the centre weight that allow it to easily move.

While I was doing this I noticed an upside down chopping board on the floor and wondered if I should do the same by placing some Monkey Noodles into the drainage grooves, perhaps it will reduce vibrations by either the noodle material or the suspension effect.

I cut a 11 inch noodles in to 4 pieces and glued them in to the grooves, it appears to be ok for a 10kg piece of equipment.

It made a noticeable improvement under my dac, still deciding if there has been a change for the better under my phono pre and preamplifier.

I’m out of noodles and have ordered some more to try under my turntable  and power amp, I think I will need 4 full length noodles on all sides for the 40kg amp.

I just thought I’d post about this chopping board tweak, beware that some cheaper monkey noodles are smaller in diameter and my not do the job, mine are about 12mm and fit in the grooves perfectly.

532E2136-7D07-4F6C-878F-98A68392F29E.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.5ff7b2f23df242d7b0ee53cbe52f7f77.jpeg78A5D422-3D9B-4853-8085-7CBA9892D1C0.jpeg

Edited by awayward

28 minutes ago, Hydrology said:

Spray painted all mine a satin finish.

18092EBB-6FE6-42A8-83D2-27448A20CD23.thumb.jpeg.91727c56c29c6ad00a1d4202de8a8c14.jpeg

I've got my amp in an enclosed  cabinet similar to yours.

I am hesitant to add Ikea board due to increasing the height and potentially have less air flow around the amp? Yours looks pretty close to the underside of the top shelf.

What are your thoughts @Hydrology?

20 minutes ago, Jeddie said:

I've got my amp in an enclosed  cabinet similar to yours.

I am hesitant to add Ikea board due to increasing the height and potentially have less air flow around the amp? Yours looks pretty close to the underside of the top shelf.

What are your thoughts @Hydrology?

Depends on the amp I guess, plus mine is open at front and back.

• 10 months later...

Interesting thread. I was sufficiently intrigued to brave the Halls of IKEA and spend the princely amount of $25 for the cutting board. 

I'm glad I did. It made a small but worthwhile difference when placed under my tube preamp and a much bigger difference under the Innuos Zenith 3 where it will stay. The noise floor has dropped and there is more detail. I haven't heard a downside. 

One possible reason for its effectiveness is weight. It is a lot heavier than I expected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kristian Kristiansen said:

I have sorbothane feet under my thorens TD 150 - i am wondering if this board would make any difference with a suspension TT?

I could pony up the $25 and see for myself... 

Paid $15 a pop for mine back in the day IIRC  🙂

Anyway........ advertised bit cheaper than $25 on their Site........

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/aptitlig-butchers-block-bamboo-60233431/

Edited by JohnL
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Kristian Kristiansen said:

I have sorbothane feet under my thorens TD 150 - i am wondering if this board would make any difference with a suspension TT?

I could pony up the $25 and see for myself... 

Please let us know how you go with that

• Like 1

I use a block under each speaker stand with 4x whites squares glued in place as my floors are not flat.

edit: There are also 2 whites squares between speaker and stand.

speakers5.JPG

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...

Following the rave in this thread, I braved Ikea today. The Aptitlig made a huge improvement under my Doge 8 Clarity pre-amplifier. Best $22 spent in a long time.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought 2 of these boards today from Ikea after reading through this read. I added one under my TT and another under my amp. These boards will be put on top of my tv cabinet - any issue with adding silicon feet under each board to further absorb vibration or should I just put the board directly on top of my tv cabinet? 

19 minutes ago, bondibro said:

I just bought 2 of these boards today from Ikea after reading through this read. I added one under my TT and another under my amp. These boards will be put on top of my tv cabinet - any issue with adding silicon feet under each board to further absorb vibration or should I just put the board directly on top of my tv cabinet? 

I would suggest these under the boards.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-on-site-100-x-15mm-rubber-anti-vibration-mat-4-pack_p3961547

• Like 2

1 hour ago, muon* said:

i use them, not specifically under that IKEA board

but i wouldn't exclude other solutions. if you have silicon handy nothing wrong with it. some people even use squash or racket balls cut in two! but maybe you don't  have any of them laying round...

a more serious but still cost effect option are vibrapods. I think these would be top of my list for your situation

https://www.decibelhifi.com.au/vibrapod-isolator/

also for MVP there's bluetac which some fold swear by 🤪

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wasabijim said:

Thanks for this - I will check it out! 

In the meantime I got some of these and screwed them in yesterday to the bottom of the board sitting under the TT (In the clear version) - https://www.bunnings.com.au/surface-gard-25mm-white-round-screw-in-4-pieces_p0262206

I also bought some small stick on rubber bumpers for the board under the AMP (due to heigh issues in cabinet) & and phono preamp. 

Edited by bondibro
punc

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, MultiplexMan said:

That looks superb! What paint did you use?

I was considering Black Japan (Feast Watson) after giving the boards a fine sanding...

Its been some time since I did so not sure exactly, might’ve been the “Squirts” brand from Bunnings.

On 29/07/2022 at 4:13 PM, MultiplexMan said:

That looks superb! What paint did you use?

I was considering Black Japan (Feast Watson) after giving the boards a fine sanding...

I did mine today. Dulux Duramax matte black, they look like bought ones!IMG_20220730_175218.thumb.jpg.89a9a9dd1624caebe28f89a508d811c6.jpg

• Like 7