Currently Watching - popcorn anyone?

It's been a long time since I enjoyed a Sci-Fi thriller as good as Predestination.

Made in Melbourne, you can recognize a few locations. The performance by Sarah Snook who I think is from Adelaide was remarkable. At times I could of sworn I was watching a young Jodi Foster.

Brilliant movie by the Spierig Brothers.

Snap - I was thinking Jodie Foster too!  I just posted an identical post in the Predestination thread  :thumb:

The Giver  - Great cast for the famous book adaptation.

Watched with my daughter and wife who had both read the book.   

They were both disappointed in the movie - very superficial and the ending was somewhat different to the book.

I thought it was boring.

1.5 stars

I haven't read the book myself but I did find the idea of the story interesting, but as it seems all too common these days for movies to fall at the ending, usually an indication of either too much or too little substance during the rest of the film.

• Like 1

Just rewatched "The Wraith". Classic 1980s Charlie Sheen. Still stands up today. One of the simplest movie plots ever. It explains very little of how he's back and ends all wrapped up, without the audience actually needing to know. They could do that in the 80's. Now we'd get a half hour flashback sequence with mediclorians and alien mutigen and a cliffhanger ending of dwarves looking at a hill.

J

As a big fan of Bill Maher, his weekly show Real Time, standup and documentary Religulous, I have been watching episodes of his old show Politically Incorrect on the tubes as no DVDs are available.

Just as entertaining as Real Time if not more so as less political with a broader cross section of guests, and covers interesting though old topics now that usually get them quite animated.

• Like 1

Got Saving Private Ryan from JB for 7 bucks on DVD.

Watched it today with no volume police around, but still at -20 on the Yammy 3020 and  stuff

actually fell off the walls and bookshelfs

Seemed to pack more punch than Fury on Bluray

As a big fan of Bill Maher, his weekly show Real Time, standup and documentary Religulous, I have been watching episodes of his old show Politically Incorrect on the tubes as no DVDs are available.

Just as entertaining as Real Time if not more so as less political with a broader cross section of guests, and covers interesting though old topics now that usually get them quite animated.

I saw Religulous on the ABC not that long ago and enjoyed it.

Bend It Like Beckham on SBS.

Been a while since I've seen it.

Can't believe Kiera Knightley was only 17 in this... :huh:

Never found her very attractive, but she's ok as an actress.

:)

Finally got around to watching Gone Girl last night after avoiding spoilers for months.

Great watch, although, slightly disturbing to see what a human mind is capable of, even if only fiction.

• Like 1

Hi

Attempted to watch 'Gone Girl' last night, could only watch to where he proposes to her as the background noise overwhelmed the dialogue in most places up to there ....

JJ

I didn't find that at all.

Saw Kingsmen last night. Some good ham-it up acting and lots of good old biffo/cgi. Everyone appeared to be enjoying themselves and the over the top violence was handled well with nice dramatic license The swearing could have been less but overall an enjoyable couple of hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by frankn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

51krHqkh1YL._SX500_.jpg

Kentucky Fried Movie -- found this DVD for $1.60 at the Crime Converters today. Made by the blokes wot made Flying High, although this is from 1977 is a collection of skits rather than a movie. Mostly rubbish but it's been probably about 20 years since I last saw it.

--Geoff

• Like 2

Taxi Driver last night.

Well most of it, nodded off once, woke up when he was at the shooting range, like this -> :blink: WTF.

And then dozed again right at the end.

But OMG it's been a looooong time since I saw it.

Had no recollection of the cast.

Harvey Keitel, Jodie Foster, Cybill Shepherd....

And Scorsese as the taxi customer?!?!?

Anyway, still an amazing movie.

So bleak and moody and actually very sad and depressing.

But in a good way.

I've never been much of a DeNiro fan to be honest.

Everything he's done for the past 25 -odd years is just him playing the same character with the same facial expression over and over again.

I do love him in this though and would probably rate it as his best role.

51krHqkh1YL._SX500_.jpg

Kentucky Fried Movie -- found this DVD for $1.60 at the Crime Converters today. Made by the blokes wot made Flying High, although this is from 1977 is a collection of skits rather than a movie. Mostly rubbish but it's been probably about 20 years since I last saw it.

--Geoff

Yet some gems to be found amongst it, one example, with the video quality revealing its 1977 origins ;)

• Like 1

I've never been much of a DeNiro fan to be honest.

Everything he's done for the past 25 -odd years is just him playing the same character with the same facial expression over and over again.

I do love him in this though and would probably rate it as his best role.

Yeah, Bob is a great example of these renowned great "actors" who role after role basically play themselves or their "character"..

Not really acting imo ??

• Like 1

Yeah, Bob is a great example of these renowned great "actors" who role after role basically play themselves or their "character"..

Not really acting imo ??

No, a lot of them play themselves a lot.

That said, I saw a lot of Reservoir Dogs style Harvey Keitel in his role as the pimp in this movie.

His body language etc.

Like a lot of rock n rollers I don't think De Niro and Jack Nicholson survived the 70's

But nor did the quality of the films made after then

I think his best role was in the Godfather and an Italian movie 1900 with Gerard Depardieu a communist director

Full frontal nudity from both stars when they were young and thin

Bit of a shock for a country boy

post-141610-0-33306800-1426310994_thumb.

• Like 1