Maverick; who's got tickets yet?

From all reports from those who have seen it already, the blockbuster of the year! Also reportedly a pretty fine story line, not just action cinematography.

I've got my tickets booked for next Wednesday at a Hoyts Xtreme theatre, and managed to score centre seats, 2/3rds of the way back. Can't wait, been hanging for this for over 2 years now.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, lucmor444 said:

Seeing this at Imax on Sunday - hoping the hype isn't just that.

I thought this was just going to be a live action popcorn movie, but the reviews have been gushing so far.

I'm going to the footy Sunday... Go Pies!

• Like 1

Been savaged by a lot of critics but if you liked the first one then you'll like this it seems.

I honestly don’t think I have ever seen a movie with less imagination than Top Gun: Maverick. When it wants to show that Rooster (Miles Teller) – son of the first film’s Goose (Anthony Edwards) – is a chip off the old block, it has him wearing a Hawaiian shirt just like his dad did, and sporting a moustache just like his dad did, and a hairstyle somewhere between a flat-top and a quiff, just like his dad did.

Seriously, the credits should read “Written by ctrl+C and ctrl+V”. Not that the fans will mind one little bit.

I left the cinema after a preview screening in which every nod to the earlier film was greeted with whoops of delight from an adoring audience. If this is what fan-service cinema looks like, it ain’t pretty, but it works.

And just so he doesn't get pelted with the tomatoes, the critic pulls it back a bit near the end of the review...

And yet … For all its many, many failings, Top Gun: Maverick has some of the most exhilarating action sequences I have ever seen. Cruise’s insistence on a cinematic release for his much-delayed movie was spot-on: the flying scenes are incredible. Despite every hokey set-up and plot point, the last 40 minutes of the movie are genuinely breathtaking.

5 hours ago, blybo said:

Go Pies!

Indeed, great win against Freo. Now to try put Carlton to the sword.

It is good to see Carlton playing well, its been rough for their fans for a while now. Having said that - Go Pies!!!!!!

34 minutes ago, Luc said:

Been savaged by a lot of critics but if you liked the first one then you'll like this it seems.

I honestly don’t think I have ever seen a movie with less imagination than Top Gun: Maverick. When it wants to show that Rooster (Miles Teller) – son of the first film’s Goose (Anthony Edwards) – is a chip off the old block, it has him wearing a Hawaiian shirt just like his dad did, and sporting a moustache just like his dad did, and a hairstyle somewhere between a flat-top and a quiff, just like his dad did.

Seriously, the credits should read “Written by ctrl+C and ctrl+V”. Not that the fans will mind one little bit.

I left the cinema after a preview screening in which every nod to the earlier film was greeted with whoops of delight from an adoring audience. If this is what fan-service cinema looks like, it ain’t pretty, but it works.

And just so he doesn't get pelted with the tomatoes, the critic pulls it back a bit near the end of the review...

And yet … For all its many, many failings, Top Gun: Maverick has some of the most exhilarating action sequences I have ever seen. Cruise’s insistence on a cinematic release for his much-delayed movie was spot-on: the flying scenes are incredible. Despite every hokey set-up and plot point, the last 40 minutes of the movie are genuinely breathtaking.

I am not sure the statement 'been savaged by a lot of critics' is accurate.  Rotten Tomatoes has it rated at 97% with an audience score of 99%.

I'll hold my judgement (not a big fan of the original) until I see it but am anticipating an 'OK' storyline with, as noted, great action scenes that should make the overall experience worth it.  

8 minutes ago, tubularbells said:

Gold Class this Sun. I'm an 80's tragic so no doubt will love this...

the 80s, the golden era of Hollywood 👍😊

• Love 1

Imax next week.. 

Its the only way to fly. 

seeing we have one of the world's best cinemas in Melbourne, not sure why you would go anywhere else?

And I have word from the imax projectionist that the extended format flight scenes in imax are something to behold. 

Edited by Hytram
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hytram said:

Imax next week.. 

Its the only way to fly. 

If I was anywhere near an IMAX...I would be doing it too ! 

Cinema screens are so stupidly small these days....so disappointing!

We’ll yes, a massive nod to the original bordering on cheesy ticking of boxes from the original, but saved towards the end with storyline and incredible action sequences. 

cinema was a disappointment. So called Xtreme screen had less immersion than my Home Screen. Bass was adequate without being outstanding. Not sure my own home theatre could better it but I’ll surely be buying the 4k UHD disc when it comes out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, blybo said:

We’ll yes, a massive nod to the original bordering on cheesy ticking of boxes from the original, but saved towards the end with storyline and incredible action sequences. 

cinema was a disappointment. So called Xtreme screen had less immersion than my Home Screen. Bass was adequate without being outstanding. Not sure my own home theatre could better it but I’ll surely be buying the 4k UHD disc when it comes out. 

will save the cinema disappointment will await the 4K und blu-ray to enjoy at home and go full tilt …push the envelope :D

• Like 2

12 hours ago, betty boop said:

will save the cinema disappointment will await the 4K und blu-ray to enjoy at home and go full tilt …push the envelope :D

I'd still give Imax a go. I was so caught up in the movie I paid absolutely no attention to image aspect ratio till the end when I noted it was 16:9 which surprised me. I hope this is not another Christpher Nolan like movie where they change the aspect ratio within the movie. The action sequences are amazing and I now wish I hadn't watched trailers as they took some of the wow factor away.

10 hours ago, LHC said:

This has the potential to be one of the all-time great sequels

If you can leave your brain at the door and remember the original was also a cheesy action movie. This has all the same elements plus way better "naval aviator" scenes. Highly entertaining but not great IMHO. And I was always a huge fan of the original. At times in the first half it almost feels like a remake with poetic license, then the story takes it's own path and  "we're going ballistic Mav"

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Good?

Yep it's worth seeing. Not really as serious as the first, don't go in with any expectations. Just go in to enjoy. I won't say anymore except go to the best cinema you can because the picture and sound effects are amazing! We went Gold Class at Doncaster, Melbourne. Great night, worth every cent if you're a tragic Top Gun fan haha. 

Here's a quick fact. I applied to the Air Force at 27 as a bomber/fighter pilot (F-111C/F-18). Passed every test except the medical at the end. Injured my ACL playing footy in school. No turn and burn for blakey72 :( 

• Like 2

On 25/05/2022 at 7:09 PM, Luc said:

My review

Top Gun Maverick has not one original thought in its entire script—and most of the characters are under-written and one-dimensional. So despite the skill of the supporting actors (Jennifer Connelly and Jon Hamm do a remarkable job under dire constraints) any significant or emotional moments are not believable. Ultimately the plot is almost a parody of the original film. 

None of this is helped by the over-exposure of main character Pete Maverick, who is a caricature of his younger self as he rides his motorbike in the same leather jacket, plays beach football shirtless, portrays anguish in numerous closeups. A few humorous jibes from younger characters about Pete's age fail to dilute a thick, cloying Tom Cruise syrup that does not go down well.

In the original, director Tony Scott gave Top Gun balance and charm, and the characters had different layers to exploit. Notwithstanding some shallow writing the 1986 film was cohesive and engaging, not a mindless blockbuster. The sequel is.

I saw Maverick on Hoyts' 'standard' screen, having watched the remastered 4K Top Gun at home the previous evening, and as a movie experience my visit to Hoyts was no more enjoyable; I doubt viewing Maverick on 'Xtreme' would have changed this. Yes, the last half-hour of action is exciting and the authenticity of the camerawork impressive, but it's not enough to save a rather superficial, dare I say narcissistic, affair.

Edited by was_a
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2