Trend towards smaller speakers?

I've been looking at people's systems and recommendations lately. From what I've seen there seems to be more people going for smaller speakers (bookshelf/monitor) than bigger floorstanders. Do you think it's a cost trend? Are smaller speakers becoming so good that they can match larger speakers? Or am I just seeing a trend that isn't really there?

Blake.

Most likely more people are living in units now and getting decent sized speakers up to their place is not an easy task unless you engage in help (professional or otherwise).  Also sub-woofers are pretty good theses days and easier to integrate with decent monitors / bookshelves if people go that route.

• Like 2

Hi Blake i use the M&K S150 MK2 THX Ultra  speakers they are small in size but the sound is awesome  these are the speakers that hollywood studios use not cheap i have had lots of other floor standing speakers  but personally they dont sound as good..

Regards Lino...

Guest Muon N'

I agree that it is in part a unit thing, but monitor speakers are more capable these days with some of the better ones extending a bit more down in the bass region.

I get plenty of bass from my ML-1's as a unit dweller with the media I listen to. They image really well also, something small monitors tend do do very well if well designed.

I don't crave adding woofers with these either.

Edited by Muon N'

Rooms getting smaller , look at a lot of modern house floor plans even the h/t rooms you are lucky to get 5m x 4m. And More. Likely 4m x 3.5m . 

Some of the newer 2 stand mounts sound very good. 

Guest deanB

I've seen so many pics of floorstanders up against sidewalls due to inadequate space and irregular shaped rooms. That must be frustrating. Standmounts can generally be squeezed a bit closer together. Although my 24 litre 3 ways don't like to get any closer than about 1.9m, centre to centre.

rooms arent getting smaller.. people are deciding to use small rooms as dedicated ht rooms then cram as much gear in it as they can... dumb idea

anyway the longer i go with my HT room i reckon if you are going HT only (why anyone wants to listen to music in a HT room is beyond me) the 2 good non floor standers for fronts+a BIG centre is a better combo. that or get all the same such as psa 210's etc.

I reckon, dollar for dollar, you'll get better overall sound quality with standmounts over floorstanders. That does depend on how much weight you give to bass response in your evaluation criteria.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I reckon, dollar for dollar, you'll get better overall sound quality with standmounts over floorstanders. That does depend on how much weight you give to bass response in your evaluation criteria.

This.

i worked in hifi for 10 years and I never heard a pair of floorstanders that sounded as good to me as an equivalently-priced pair of standmounters, even accounting for the cost of good stands. Most (obviously not all) floorstanders I’ve heard under about $15k lack control. The ones that don’t often need such good amplification to get that control that it blows the cost out further. Also even really good ones are much more reliant on room, placement etc. where standmounts are generally much more forgiving. Add a good sub and you’ve lost nothing 

usual qualifiers, disclaimers and YMMVs of course. But that’s my two cents 

I have Usher S-520 and Castle Howards.

The Castles sound so much better across the range, but the Ushers can just disappear with the right music.

2 minutes ago, Mr_Gadget said:

something like this from Legend Acoustics?

Yep, indeed. Dr Rod knows what he's doing. Those and the Contrast Magic would be part of a fairly small group

4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Makes me think that a modern, well designed 3 way standmount speaker may be the absolute business right now.

Kef make some decent ones especially the Ref 1. The Viennas on here are fantastic too

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/286699-fs-vienna-acoustic-klimt-the-kiss-speakers/

$_86.jpg

kef_reference_1r.jpg

The purists will favour floor standers because of their ability to go down low.  For the rest of us, who have non-dedicated rooms and WAF considerations,  and also people living in apartments, smaller speakers are the only option.  It is a challenge to go down low with small passive standmounts (the Legend mentioned previously an exception!), but active standmounts can often do that e.g. Kii Three goes down to 20 Hz!   

Is there a change in ratio between people owning passive versus active speakers?  Probably no.  Is there a change in the ratio of purists to the rest on the forum?   Maybe with our recent newcomers and the trend for more people to  live in apartments ?  So maybe OP has a point?  

14 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

The purists will favour floor standers because of their ability to go down low.  For the rest of us, who have non-dedicated rooms and WAF considerations,  and also people living in apartments, smaller speakers are the only option.  It is a challenge to go down low with small passive standmounts (the Legend mentioned previously an exception!), but active standmounts can often do that e.g. Kii Three goes down to 20 Hz!   

Is there a change in ratio between people owning passive versus active speakers?  Probably no.  Is there a change in the ratio of purists to the rest on the forum?   Maybe with our recent newcomers and the trend for more people to  live in apartments ?  So maybe OP has a point?  

I don't think there is ever a complete rule and most seem to be on stands so take up the same or more space than a floorstander.

These pics are of mine in 2 different apartments and the second being a tiny Bangkok studio. Never had a dedicated room or a single complaint by any partner. They usually love it and play more music than I do. Never a noise complaint either.

I would probably sell all mine for Dynaudio Focus XDs. 

20150914_101113.jpg

IMG_20170409_113019.jpg

• Like 1

nothing wrong with stand mounts if have room suitable for it and amps capable to deliver full sound. I dispensed with a very capable subwoofer in my bedroom setup (still reasonable sized room) by driving with a high quality but relatively low powered valve amp. works a treat and doing pretty well dont feel missing out any. floor standers would be completely unnecessary in this setup.

an alternative to floor standers can be capable stand mounts... and or stand mounts with subs (ran this way for several years)

in ht setups also stand mounts can do particularly well. though I woudl say floor standers do bring some mid bass also into the equation.

I dont think there are any cut and dried rules here. there are stand mounts and standmounts... floor standers and floor standers. and the kind of rooms used and application ie 2ch or movies or volumes levels listen at are all going to differ ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

I don't think there is ever a complete rule and most seem to be on stands so take up the same or more space than a floorstander.

From a logical perspective, agree. But from a WAF perspective, perception is just as important, especially when the grills are removed.  Standmounts look smaller...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snoopy8 said:

From a logical perspective, agree. But from a WAF perspective, perception is just as important, especially when the grills are removed.  Standmounts look smaller...

ive never understood this ! 

they take up the same space.... if anything folk seem to have aversion to things on stands too...ie can fall over ... fall off. the stand...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, betty boop said:

ive never understood this ! 

they take up the same space.... if anything folk seem to have aversion to things on stands too...ie can fall over ... fall off. the stand...

Sigh!  It is difficult to explain unless you have been in the situation yourself...