The Definitive Stylus Cleaner thread.

1 hour ago, buddyev said:

I just place it on the deck and gently drop the stylus onto it. That's usually enough to grab any dirt — it will leave a small black dot on the block.

I do the same: same result.

Seems to be a foolproof method.

1 hour ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Thanks all will give it a go

Just had a look at the stylus under a microscope and had a heart attack !!

Do post a pic so we can enjoy a myocardial infarction as well! ;)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

So - how do you clean a grotty Onzow cleaning pad? All those little specks of rubbish have added up to It's Cleaning Time!

Citroen's said: dishwashing liquid

>I use warm, sometimes soapy water to clean it, after many months use, depending on how dirty it is.

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown
fixed the misquote

10 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

So - how do you clean a grotty Onzow cleaning pad? All those little specks of rubbish have added up to It's Cleaning Time!

Citroen's said: dishwashing liquid

I just rinse it under a warm tap, Murray.

Andy

• Like 1

warm water does it. Like new!

Edited to add: today I went to KMart and found rthe Sticky Hands immediately in the party supplies section of stuff in the white net bags. I bought two bags of hands, for a total of $4.00. I noticed one bag was torn and when I got home discovered there were only four sticky hands in it, which means that someone shoplifted a 40c item. Who would have thought?  And at Big W I bought the Magic Eraser. Off to play now...

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown

• 3 weeks later...

On 24/06/2018 at 3:30 PM, aussievintage said:

- using Magic Eraser is also safe.  I did a torture test.  I scraped and ripped a stylus through and through a piece of ME, and nothing bad happened at all.  I think the myth about damaging styluses comes from nervous nellies, especially those using ME with the sound still turned up, and hearing the noise that results.  btw. ME does a VERY good job of regular cleaning.  If you have a really gooped up stylus, I think a bit of fluid may help though.

On 25/06/2018 at 1:04 PM, Blk plastic said:

+1 for Magic Eraser. No residue, works very well and is cheap as chips. I use a tiny gift box as a platform, a match box would also suffice. I inspect the stylus before AND after cleaning and I've never had a problem with stray fibres.

On 11/07/2018 at 4:05 PM, aussievintage said:

I think I posted before that I had never seen any evidence of fibres left on the stylus in any of the closeups I have taken.  It's just a furphy from some of the real worrywarts.

Let me present - The evidence.

ned.jpg.a37e6b3807621bde5a8c4a5309285fe1.jpg

I've noticed this with my admitted dodgy eyes so decided to take a photo. I have been using the Magic Eraser in between regular brushing with the Ortofon Microfibre and the brush supplied with the cartridge. I clean my records so I can only conclude this is from the Magic Eraser as it appears to be white. This picture was after I had physically pulled some off with my fingers. ?

On 24/06/2018 at 6:32 PM, Citroen said:

That's the beauty if the Zerodust or Moongel. It quickly lifts those bits off the stylus.

Ive ordered some Moongel to see if that will remove the offending particle.

21 minutes ago, crisis said:

I've noticed this with my admitted dodgy eyes so decided to take a photo. I have been using the Magic Eraser in between regular brushing with the Ortofon Microfibre and the brush supplied with the cartridge. I clean my records so I can only conclude this is from the Magic Eraser as it appears to be white. This picture was after I had physically pulled some off with my fingers.

Thank you for this.  It's certainly damning!  :(

Maybe after an abrasive clean with the ME - yes, you need a suction clean with a Moongel or Onzow?  The ME takes off the baked-on gunk ... and the gel removes any stray ME fibres?

Andy

28 minutes ago, andyr said:

Thank you for this.  It's certainly damning!  :(

Maybe after an abrasive clean with the ME - yes, you need a suction clean with a Moongel or Onzow?  The ME takes off the baked-on gunk ... and the gel removes any stray ME fibres?

Andy

Or I could just go and buy a product specifically designed for cleaning cartridges instead of walls and deadening drum kits.. ?

Guest DarkNark

Interesting to note that Ortofon do not recommend Zerodust for their stylus.

"NB: Ortofon do not recommend the use of the Onzow Zerodust stylus cleaner as we have seen detrimental effects of using this detergent. "  Link

I am not sure why, maybe they have seen some lost styli?

I think a need to invest in one of them new fangled usb microscopes to see how dirty my stylus is actually getting and adjust my cleaning routine to suit. Makes me a touch nervous when the manufacturer of my cart specifically points out not to use the product that I currently use.

11 hours ago, crisis said:

I've noticed this with my admitted dodgy eyes so decided to take a photo. I have been using the Magic Eraser in between regular brushing with the Ortofon Microfibre and the brush supplied with the cartridge. I clean my records so I can only conclude this is from the Magic Eraser as it appears to be white. This picture was after I had physically pulled some off with my fingers. ?

You may be correct or it could just be some dust you did not remove ,still attached.

I have examined the stylus with a x60  magnifier before and after cleaning  with magic eraser and cannot report seeing any thing left on the stylus that I would associate with ME. Plus with a second pass of ME there is normally no remaining debris that can be seen with the x 60. 

Tried  being quite ruff with an old cart and now use on my $400 AT440MLb  with no concerns.

With out the x 60 magnifier it is not that easy to tell what is there. 

$8 free post  X 60 Magnifier https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60x-Zoom-LED-Microscope-Micro-Lens-Silver-Mini-EMAGN9882/132004936687?epid=562346733&hash=item1ebc1b7bef:g:xXcAAOSw4GVYLBZ9:rk:23:pf:0

737453064_x60.jpg.b2c07cbe3b77e9ee40ac1bab78cd9aac.jpg

Edited by EV Cali
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, EV Cali said:

You may be correct or it could just be some dust you did not remove ,still attached.

I have examined the stylus with a x60  magnifier before and after cleaning  with magic eraser and cannot report seeing any thing left on the stylus that I would associate with ME. Plus with a second pass of ME there is normally no remaining debris that can be seen with the x 60. 

Tried  being quite ruff with an old cart and now use on my $400 AT440MLb  with no concerns.

With out the x 60 magnifier it is not that easy to tell what is there. 

$8 free post  X 60 Magnifier https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/60x-Zoom-LED-Microscope-Micro-Lens-Silver-Mini-EMAGN9882/132004936687?epid=562346733&hash=item1ebc1b7bef:g:xXcAAOSw4GVYLBZ9:rk:23:pf:0

737453064_x60.jpg.b2c07cbe3b77e9ee40ac1bab78cd9aac.jpg

It's often old dust either not completely removed, or re-attached from the ME.  You need to move the ME around, turn it over, etc as it does such a good job, it's surface gets impregnated with fluff and fibres.  Look at a used bit with a microscope and you'll see.  You'll also see ME is not made of long fibres, it a micro-cellular foam.  Anything long an stringy you see on a stylus did not come from the ME.

• Like 1

I moved from ME to Moongel a couple of years ago, for that very reason. I still get the white flecks though. I think it coming out of the grooves, stuff (release agent?) my knosti doesn’t remove. You won’t see the white stuff on the ME when you lift it off, but I see it on the moongel.
IMG_0032.jpg
IMG_0033.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, EV Cali said:

Its clearly not "dust"

12 hours ago, EV Cali said:

In the end its all anecdotal. I found this and others haven't.

8 hours ago, aussievintage said:

It's often old dust either not completely removed, or re-attached from the ME.  You need to move the ME around, turn it over, etc as it does such a good job, it's surface gets impregnated with fluff and fibres.  Look at a used bit with a microscope and you'll see.  You'll also see ME is not made of long fibres, it a micro-cellular foam.  Anything long an stringy you see on a stylus did not come from the ME.

I didn't think anything long and stringy would be "dust".

Ill see what happens after the moongel.

On 18/01/2019 at 12:54 AM, DarkNark said:

Interesting to note that Ortofon do not recommend Zerodust for their stylus.

"NB: Ortofon do not recommend the use of the Onzow Zerodust stylus cleaner as we have seen detrimental effects of using this detergent. "  Link

I am not sure why, maybe they have seen some lost styli?

I think a need to invest in one of them new fangled usb microscopes to see how dirty my stylus is actually getting and adjust my cleaning routine to suit. Makes me a touch nervous when the manufacturer of my cart specifically points out not to use the product that I currently use.

I have been given the same advice against using a Zerodust or equivalent by one of the most knowledgeable person in the industry when it comes to vinyl.

The reason given is many people use the Zerodust by lifting it up by hand onto the stylus and as some of the expensive styluses these days can be quite fragile and easily damaged this way.

His advice is that the only safe way to use a Zerodust or equivalent is to have it fixed on a mount and to lower the stylus gently with the tonearm lift.

His recommendation for stylus cleaning actually goes against the common advice in this thread with a particular wet cleaner.

The specific wet cleaner he recommendeds is the Lyra SPT.

While expensive it is solvent free and is formulated so it won't damage the glue holding the diamond or stylus.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2019 at 9:47 PM, crisis said:

Ill see what happens after the moongel.

This is what the moongel removed immediately after I used the magic eraser..

DSC_1496.JPG.ddb1a546c4610dcda2453c682f6b7834.JPG

What is more annoying is that nothing will remove this. I tried tweezers but my eye sight is rat **** and my hands aren't that steady..

DSC_1495.JPG

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Rocketfrogs said:

I've been using Magic Eraser since I stumbled across this thread a couple on months ago.  I must say I'm a convert.  Every 5 sides I cue lever down onto a strip of Magic Eraser three times and it's been working a treat.

Why did you decide on "every 5 sides", Rf?

Me - every side I do something ... a combination of ME, stiff stylus brush and Zerodust.

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1