Going Digital - Goodbye Vinyl

On 8/29/2017 at 9:51 PM, Gryffles said:

I can't afford to have a digital setup that I'd be happy with sound wise and keep my vinyl front end.

It all comes down to money.

But I reckon Ben won't be happy with a Node, and possibly not even an Antipodes, as they offer a different sound to vinyl. Only he can tell if he can live with either option.

But he says he can't afford both. I reckon he just needs to reposition his priorities! 

Cut back on the barista coffees, dining out, gifts to the girlfriend, sell the car, move to a caravan, whatever you need to do. ;)

• Haha 1

Do you have an Apple device? If so keep your first step simple… get an AirPort Express and go digital optical out > your DAC of choice. You could probably do the same with an Android device and Chromecast. Both brands of device allow you to stream your Tidal or iTunes music and can be picked up anywhere from around $30 up to $150. Small change really. You can also do the same with your laptop - there's nothing wrong with using an older machine as a music source.

Then you can spend as much or as little of your budget as you like experimenting with DACs to get the sound you like.

1 hour ago, Gryffles said:

Hi @:) al, since I started this thread I've got a bit more of an idea after looking around and reading responses here. If I had enough I would probably have got an Antipodes DX but they are outta my price range when other things are factored in.

Then I thought Bluesound Vault2 but I don't need a ripper and it's cheaper to get a Node2 and SSD drive as you suggested. I'm going to change speaker too as my room is to small for my current ones since I moved house.

Another vote for the Bluesound Vault 2, given your budget. I have a simple portable hard drive plugged into mine and switch between it, Tidal and Radio Paradise. I also have a few favourite radio stations saved.

All this is accessed from the very good Bluesound app.

This option also enables me to try various DACs as technology progresses. Having said that, the DAC in the Bluesound is not shabby by any means.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2017 at 7:33 PM, Gryffles said:

I guess that depends on what lets us enjoy music though. Balance between quality and quantity

Tend to agree with your view even though I have both setups which I have brought to a level that I'm happy with both.   Yes, if you can afford it, get both - otherwise focus on one.  The VPI is a fine TT and you may struggle to find a digital rig which gives you the same level of enjoyment.  I started a thread to digital rig fir vinylphile (

But it's a difficult area.  My experience is to buy the best source you can afford and listen to as many DACs as you can.  Some DACs described as musical sounds really (eg Could not wait to get rid of one rated by Stereophile as Cat A)and only you can decide what works for your ears.  I find older DACs (eg Sonic Frontier, Calyx Femto, Chord Hugo) more musical, less fatiguing than later DACs which tend to excel in detailed resolution.  Good luck.

On 08/09/2017 at 5:17 PM, Gryffles said:

Yep and factor in I'm changing amp and speakers too!

Kef LS50 Wireless and forget about shopping around for DAC/amp. Or is that taking the fun out of things? maybe but it's a great digital solution. Install Roon on a laptop and the Kef's will soon work as a Roon end point. 

For me it is all about the music. Bits or bites, grooves or depressions as long as it comes across clean and clear and sounds musical I'm happy. I've not long been using a Pi server and DIY DAC but really enjoy it. I have been playing file based music for a while with my Oppo 95 so not new to file based music and of course CD for a long time. Still fall back to vinyl for periods and still love it. 

But how good is it. I now have a number of ways I can hear what I want the way I want to hear it. Add to this internet radio (via the Pi) and my old trusty FM tuner. I'm not letting of any formats. I have dropped cassette tape but it wasn't that good anyway just convenient. I think all formats can co-exist and be equally enjoyed.

My FM tuner sits on PBS all day long with the ocassional flip to RRR, no Tidal or Spotify will ever compete with those announcers' deep background knowledge unfailingly presenting me with a constantly changing smorgasbord of excellent musics

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. 

For now I've decided to buy a good used CD player and get the rest of my system just how I want it. Vinyl will be no more, however, I will keep all my records until I'm ready to pick it up again.

Sure, I'll get a streamer / DAC when I'm ready but just not yet.

The system has changed again and has these replacements on the way:

Primare D30.2 CDP

Lenehan ML1

Custom built 01A tube DHT preamp

Case closed for now!

• Like 2