Recommended HiFi / AV Repairers (Australia)

On 21/02/2017 at 7:23 AM, darthlaker said:

For South Australia contact Kasum Audio.

Bruno Kasum.

VERY knowledgeable and fair rates.

Outstanding work.

brunzk@bigpond.com

On 26/02/2017 at 2:25 PM, c0redumpt said:

I can concur with Mark, Bruno is very very good and a gentleman to boot!! Great work, communicates well and keeps you up to date with how things progress 

Where is Kasum Audio please fellas  - I have a pre amp  that has lost it's MM phono stage.

I'd like a quote on it to be repaired and I know there is a email above, but where would I have to travel too please?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

Where is Kasum Audio please fellas  - I have a pre amp  that has lost it's MM phono stage.

I'd like a quote on it to be repaired and I know there is a email above, but where would I have to travel too please?

Grumps, will send you a PM. Cheers

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Karl Rand
On 21 April 2017 at 5:48 AM, jamesg11 said:

So, nothing in Hobart either ...? How big is the Tassie audio community?

Unbelievably small from my experience. Of the few audiophiles I've run into down here ALL are ex-mainlanders.

If you brouse the audio gear for sale in Tassie on Gumtree you'll get some idea of the scene down here.

I suspect however there must be a number of members of the Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra in Hobart who have more than ghetto blasters in their homes. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Dave in Unley said:

Recently I used Adept Electronics, Blair Athol in Adelaide. Good service, good work and fast turn around.

They must have improved or changed management. They were once called inept electronics. Good to know things are now better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dropped into Gary's today to pick up some trashed diatone speakers he had repaired for me.

I can't speak highly enough of him, a pleasant change to deal with someone with integrity.

http://cawsey.com.au/

(makes a lovely coffee and great to chat to)

• 3 weeks later...

Needing repairs to an Onkyo A-8500 amp from the mid 80's that's dropping left channel in and out.

Located in Wagga Wagga NSW so looking for some in the Albury to Canberra range..

• 1 month later...
On 16/08/2016 at 11:43 AM, Marc said:

I've had great experiences with CVE Electronics in Coburg, VIC
https://www.facebook.com/CveElectronics/

They've fixed traditional HiFi components and TVs for me over the years.

Always been on time, fairly priced and very knowledgeable.

They've also declined a job when they felt they could not achieve a desirable outcome.

Should've gone with CVE from the start I think - after taking a bit of equipment to another place listed in this thread since they were local to me, it took over 2 weeks to get a phone call from their repairer (which is from another local shop). They advised the work was difficult, etc, etc and offered very vague delayed quotes (as if making them up on the spot) for different levels of work. Both of which included bypassing features.

After taking it straight from them to CVE, I already feel more comfortable. The quotation fee was a third of the price and the tech was very enthusiastic about it and said nothing cannot be fixed. Been told I'll have a quote within 3 days, too! I'll update this post on how it all turns out, but thanks for the suggestion. 

Update: Called with a report within the timeframe, noted which components need to be replaced and gave me a very reasonable estimate. I gave him the go ahead and expect great results. Great shop to deal with.

Edited by twak
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, On The Beach said:

Can anyone advise a Sydney based repairer, preferably Inner West, for a Marantz 2225 amp? Thanks!

Welcome On The Beach.

I haven't had work done personally but Trevor from Rage Audio has a good reputation here (see other recommendations up thread). He was a Marantz rep for many years I believe. Not inner west; south I think. He is @Zaphod Beeblebrox on SNA.

Nice avatar by the way. Can't have too much Stax and funk.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/17/2017 at 8:36 PM, Dave in Unley said:

Recently I used Adept Electronics, Blair Athol in Adelaide. Good service, good work and fast turn around.

They repaired my Musical Fidelity B1 a month ago and I am happy with the result and service.

• 3 weeks later...

What is fair when getting a vintage receiver fixed?

I have an old Pioneer receiver which has been dropped. It has a bad hum on aux and tuner through both channels. I dropped it off to a source mentioned in this thread whose technician told me he was going to replace "everything" and would give me a lifetime guarantee. He said it would sound perfect and it would cost many hundreds but it would be 2 days work for him. I thought ok, expensive but it sounds like a thorough job. It was ready the next working day which I found surprising. But if he worked on the weekend, fair enough.

I have asked for a list of items replaced. He agreed at the time but in a phone call later he said he was just going to put Parts and Labour. I know the circuit board and the case were not cracked. I had cleaned and De3-oxed a bit inside.
Im not comfortable with this. I want to know what recapping took place. Im worried that a clean and service is all that happened. $400 is a lot of money to me.
What Capacitors were replaced, what Potentiometers were replaced? Were noisy transistors in the Pre-amp replaced? Is the Phono ok?Tested?

I was told by the technician so many things were replaced it would take 2 hours to itemise. If I do sell it later on (I dont intend to) I feel I need more information.

Id appreciate what other SNA folk thoughts on what would seem fair in this case.

19 hours ago, dammers31 said:

What is fair when getting a vintage receiver fixed?

I have an old Pioneer receiver which has been dropped. It has a bad hum on aux and tuner through both channels. I dropped it off to a source mentioned in this thread whose technician told me he was going to replace "everything" and would give me a lifetime guarantee. He said it would sound perfect and it would cost many hundreds but it would be 2 days work for him. I thought ok, expensive but it sounds like a thorough job. It was ready the next working day which I found surprising. But if he worked on the weekend, fair enough.

I have asked for a list of items replaced. He agreed at the time but in a phone call later he said he was just going to put Parts and Labour. I know the circuit board and the case were not cracked. I had cleaned and De3-oxed a bit inside.
Im not comfortable with this. I want to know what recapping took place. Im worried that a clean and service is all that happened. $400 is a lot of money to me.
What Capacitors were replaced, what Potentiometers were replaced? Were noisy transistors in the Pre-amp replaced? Is the Phono ok?Tested?

I was told by the technician so many things were replaced it would take 2 hours to itemise. If I do sell it later on (I dont intend to) I feel I need more information.

Id appreciate what other SNA folk thoughts on what would seem fair in this case.

My car mechanic always leaves a plastic bag in the vehicle after a service with the parts he has replaced.  I don't want them, but it is reassuring to know he is being transparent in his work.  I have a recollection that in years gone by when I have had amps repaired that sometimes I would be shown the caps that were replaced.  Sure, itemising every item in a bill can be time-consuming, and I don't want to be paying $80ph for excessive paperwork.  But a plastic bag of replaced components isn't difficult practice.  And on the invoice, some details like "replaced/upgraded 8 capacitors in the output stage and power supply, cleaned noisy volume pot" isn't much to include. But different technicians have different ways of working.

Edited by audiofeline

Yes, the owner of the business is very understanding of how his old school technician comes across.

They have both said that trust in their work is important in understanding how cost effective the repair is.

But I agree with you @Audiofeline, how hard can it be?  When I said that I would pick them up and test with my CD, aerial and Turntable then pay after testing they didnt think that was what trust was about in their view. They have both said it would be 2 hours more work to itemize correctly. Que?

But I didnt want to get into a jackpot (to quote No Country For Old Men) :lol: so it has been all civil.

Anyway I will know in the next day or so. Fingers crossed. Another battle of course comes when a new vintage amplifier/receiver comes up  and Im trying to sell this one with what may look like non-professional work.

Edited by dammers31

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2016 at 9:24 PM, finetune said:

Anyone in Brisbane?  Need Sansui and Nad repair

Thanks in advance

http://www.watsonelectronics.com.au/

Watson Electronics at Sumner Park - used them a few times. Solid crew. Long standing. Straight down the line. Wouldn't go anywhere else (helps for me that they're just a short trip down the Western freeway) but you won't mind me saying, I'd rather not need to take gear to them at all. I've seen too much of them over the last few years - not their fault. More a case of Not Always Dependable.

They've sorted out two different bits of NAD gear that I had. One was under warranty and the distributor based in Melbourne (Qualifi at the time) gave me various options to sort out the issue. When I said I'd go to Watson's, I almost heard them go "phew" with relief. I took that as a positive sign.

I know some pro musos who use them as their "go to" for repair of any of their gig gear.

• 2 weeks later...