The church's new layout

On 22/10/2019 at 9:18 AM, Tubularbells said:

Wow thank you fellow SNAers. For the record im hypersensitive to boomy bass and was already fully aware of the rooms 50hz peak many speakers ago. In fact It first raised its ugly head when I moved from my smaller ZU Souls & REL sub to the much bigger Zingali's and then even more so when I moved to the twin 15" JBL's.

At one point I had the DEQX HDP 5  (with the Zingali's) and managed to get the room flat but reckon I fell into the rookie mistake of making it too flat which resulted in a lifeless sound that to me just wasn't enjoyable so that didn't last long at all. Perhaps I should have persisted with it a bit more...

Regarding amps ive definitely heard a difference in bass response with the JBL's using different amplification. For example the Jeff Rowland Continuum had a tighter bass control than say the Audio Research Ref150 but as suggested I dont think the issue is with the amps ive used (well maybe just a tad) its really the room. 

For whatever reason (and im baffled as to how this can be) the Duntechs 4x 12" drivers energise the room much more than the 4 x 15" drivers in the JBL's. They certainly dig deeper and being sealed would have thought they would be more forgiving to room placement than the bass reflex design of the JBL's but its not the case at all.

Im waiting on the GIK Acoustics engineer to get back to me with any suggestions. and have build a quick and dirty mockup of the room layout using there planning software.

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 9.15.15 am.png

639780022_ScreenShot2019-10-22at9_23_15am.png.8e0c836a15ec65a347e05f539850f79e.png

I don’t know much but I’m very surprised few, to this point mentioned room treatment. From everything I’ve read over the years, it’s this that will make or break a system. Hang tight mate, wait for some expert opinion in this regard and things may very well change for the better. Hearing my speakers in my (untreated) room vs their previous (well treated) room was a night and day difference. Cheers, M. PS: I wrote this before I saw the Frednork visit. Good stuff. 

Edited by unclemack
  • Like 1

A couple of more pics from the day. As you can see the Sov's are back on the short wall as that provided the best overall sound.

20191023_164509.thumb.jpg.0f4b3c54b62565c6ccc2d7c9e264a2dd.jpg

@frednork desecrating the church with his digital rig!

20191023_122624.thumb.jpg.b4dba35ef076d988b565ab2e37997b4c.jpg

Although it didn't take long for the powers of evil to possess those 1's & 0's  :devil:

20191023_102227.thumb.jpg.f88b1fbfe5c7430cfc0dd223d37f0ffa.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Although it didn't take long for the powers of evil to possess those 1's & 0's  :devil:

Ha!  Being a "senior citizen" who prefers a conservative aesthetic, I bought one of those Intel NUC's only after making sure the skull could be turned off.

But I've been surprised that I prefer to leave it switched on.:)954197431_Shedstereo2019(1of1)-5.thumb.jpg.5f724668f13f018a72dcf03d6d791f18.jpg

FWIW, the short wall placement looks more intuitive and makes the mighty Sovereigns seem less intimidating.  Glad to hear it is delivering the goods sound wise.

Edited by Tony M
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tony M said:

Ha!  Being a "senior citizen" who prefers a conservative aesthetic, I bought one of those Intel NUC's only after making sure the skull could be turned off.

But I've been surprised that I prefer to leave it switched on.:)954197431_Shedstereo2019(1of1)-5.thumb.jpg.5f724668f13f018a72dcf03d6d791f18.jpg

FWIW, the short wall placement looks more intuitive and makes the mighty Sovereigns seem less intimidating.  Glad to hear it is delivering the goods sound wise.

Heavy Metal  senior at Woodstock ?       WOW!

• Like 1

ME monos's gone ?

So time to give the Ashly's a tune up and a few hours later both offset & bias are perfect (much better than the previous "cold" bias adjustment I did last year). And for the  fastidious yeah it looks weird as ive had to flip both LHS modules upside down on order to access the trim pots.

Will be interesting putting them back into service after a few weeks with the ME's.

20191101_122510.jpg

• Like 4

• Volunteer
On 22/10/2019 at 9:18 AM, Tubularbells said:

Wow thank you fellow SNAers. For the record im hypersensitive to boomy bass and was already fully aware of the rooms 50hz peak many speakers ago. In fact It first raised its ugly head when I moved from my smaller ZU Souls & REL sub to the much bigger Zingali's and then even more so when I moved to the twin 15" JBL's.

At one point I had the DEQX HDP 5  (with the Zingali's) and managed to get the room flat but reckon I fell into the rookie mistake of making it too flat which resulted in a lifeless sound that to me just wasn't enjoyable so that didn't last long at all. Perhaps I should have persisted with it a bit more...

Regarding amps ive definitely heard a difference in bass response with the JBL's using different amplification. For example the Jeff Rowland Continuum had a tighter bass control than say the Audio Research Ref150 but as suggested I dont think the issue is with the amps ive used (well maybe just a tad) its really the room. 

For whatever reason (and im baffled as to how this can be) the Duntechs 4x 12" drivers energise the room much more than the 4 x 15" drivers in the JBL's. They certainly dig deeper and being sealed would have thought they would be more forgiving to room placement than the bass reflex design of the JBL's but its not the case at all.

Im waiting on the GIK Acoustics engineer to get back to me with any suggestions. and have build a quick and dirty mockup of the room layout using there planning software.

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 9.15.15 am.png

639780022_ScreenShot2019-10-22at9_23_15am.png.8e0c836a15ec65a347e05f539850f79e.png

what about something crazy like this?

1022784648_ScreenShot2019-11-02at4_45_29pm.png.91b61fd885645e53abe2ce21684f8925.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 4.53.33 pm.png

Edited by Sir Sanders Zingmore
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

what about something crazy like this?

1022784648_ScreenShot2019-11-02at4_45_29pm.png.91b61fd885645e53abe2ce21684f8925.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-02 at 4.53.33 pm.png

Geez Trev seems like you hit the turps early  this evening. Hell I cracked my first brew at 9:30 this morning and still can make no sense of your post ?

• Haha 2

• Volunteer
16 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Geez Trev seems like you hit the turps early  this evening. Hell I cracked my first brew at 9:30 this morning and still can make no sense of your post ?

Sanders recommends trying speakers straddling the corner of a room

Speaker placement is the biggest issue.  Most audiophiles use symmetrical placement where the speakers are the same distance from walls and corners.  This is the worst placement because both speakers will produce the same few resonances and they will be at double the magnitude than if the speakers were placed randomly in the room.  

These audiophiles also usually put the speakers on the short wall, which tends to force the speakers into corners, which also aggravates resonances and their magnitude.   Putting the speakers on the long wall at different distances from corners is better than using the short wall.

In extreme conditions, like we have in the hotel rooms we manufacturers must use at shows, I place the speakers on adjacent walls, straddling a corner.  I assure that the speakers are at different distances from the walls and corners.  This produces the most resonances at the smallest magnitudes and gives surprisingly good bass frequency response

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sir Sanders Zingmore said:

Sanders recommends trying speakers straddling the corner of a room

Speaker placement is the biggest issue.  Most audiophiles use symmetrical placement where the speakers are the same distance from walls and corners.  This is the worst placement because both speakers will produce the same few resonances and they will be at double the magnitude than if the speakers were placed randomly in the room.  

These audiophiles also usually put the speakers on the short wall, which tends to force the speakers into corners, which also aggravates resonances and their magnitude.   Putting the speakers on the long wall at different distances from corners is better than using the short wall.

In extreme conditions, like we have in the hotel rooms we manufacturers must use at shows, I place the speakers on adjacent walls, straddling a corner.  I assure that the speakers are at different distances from the walls and corners.  This produces the most resonances at the smallest magnitudes and gives surprisingly good bass frequency response

Makes a lot of sense for the bass but not sure it will be that great for imaging, but as they say, dont knock it till you tried it.

• Like 1

Regardless that image I posed is redundant now given the speakers are in a completely different position on the short wall with ample room to breath front and back. Just means I need to move everything else to accommodate. Next experiment is to move all record racks on the short wall behind the listening position as im hoping that might help with breaking up some room modes that occur on that wall.

• Like 1