The church's new layout

Guest Muon N'
On 07/10/2019 at 6:14 PM, Tubularbells said:

This was my second of what I originally thought were my only two options. Dismissed it on Sat. as I felt I'd already put you all through enough already and the old JBL possie was sounding mighty fine.

This though I feel might be even better. Certainly much more space around the speaker and listener. 

Also bridged the amps which seem to yield an improvement. 1450w into 4 ohms now according to the spec sheet but I thought the bass would bloat due to the damping factor halving but for some reason bass sounds tighter now.

image.jpeg

New speakers look great, but couldn't help noticing the lovely Shepherd!

I used to sometimes feed and water some guard dogs years ago as some were often kept where I lived, mostly Shepherds.

On 18/10/2019 at 8:13 PM, Muon N' said:

New speakers look great, but couldn't help noticing the lovely Shepherd!

I used to sometimes feed and water some guard dogs years ago as some were often kept where I lived, mostly Shepherds.

Careful Red... Panzer is a vicious killer.... 

AA6927A7-B882-4669-A4D6-AFEFEC45B7DA.thumb.jpeg.03e964d21e1299a3fdb0464b59a65de1.jpeg

• Love 1

How's it getting on in the room now after a few weeks of ownership? Do you feel they are too large for the room?

I am considering a pair of Sovereigns now and our rooms are the same size albeit mine has a rather high raked ceiling. I am all about excess and getting away with the largest speaker possible...They just sound better.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2019 at 7:27 AM, Red MacKay said:

Several years ago at a demo with new $35K ATC speakers with 15" drivers, I asked Bill (ATC head honcho) where the bottom 1/2 octave of bass was.  In no uncertain terms I was told, "that the speaker frequency resonse was FLAT to 28 hZ!"  Well if that bass measured flat - I don't like flat, cos flat is exactly the way the music sounded.   (It was several of my music discs that had been playing)

Well if the bottom octave is generally accepted as being 20–40Hz then maybe Bill's answer was not inaccurate and if they roll up steeply below 28Hz then there goes the lower 1/2 of the bottom octave I suppose : )

Guest jakeyb77
4 hours ago, kelossus said:

How's it getting on in the room now after a few weeks of ownership? Do you feel they are too large for the room?

I am considering a pair of Sovereigns now and our rooms are the same size albeit mine has a rather high raked ceiling. I am all about excess and getting away with the largest speaker possible...They just sound better.

Do it and pick me when you upgrade 

2 hours ago, Aperalim said:

Well if the bottom octave is generally accepted as being 20–40Hz then maybe Bill's answer was not inaccurate and if they roll up steeply below 28Hz then there goes the lower 1/2 of the bottom octave I suppose : )

I am not doubting Bill, but I like the very bottom register to have a bit of guts to it, to really dig.

I really couldn't give a toss what it measures like.  "Do I lke it", that's whats important to me.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

16 hours ago, Red MacKay said:

I am not doubting Bill, but I like the very bottom register to have a bit of guts to it, to really dig.

I really couldn't give a toss what it measures like.  "Do I lke it", that's whats important to me.

Understood Red – I reckon sub 30Hz bass is seldom produced well by any speaker in any room....

23 hours ago, kelossus said:

To be absolutely honest....im struggling. Put on a few albums yesterday and had disappointment after disappointment (particularly Underworlds - Barbara Barbara) where the 50hz peak was obnoxiously present. Decided no more tunes in the church until the rooms has been sorted so am listening to the downstairs HT system So I don't end up throwing a speaker into hell's abyss! 

I managed to tame the JBL's to some degree in the same position however the Duntech's will have none of it!!!

14 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

To be absolutely honest....im struggling. Put on a few albums yesterday and had disappointment after disappointment (particularly Underworlds - Barbara Barbara) where the 50hz peak was obnoxiously present. Decided no more tunes in the church until the rooms has been sorted so am listening to the downstairs HT system So I don't end up throwing a speaker into hell's abyss! 

I managed to tame the JBL's to some degree in the same position however the Duntech's will have none of it!!!

Gosh this is heartbreaking to hear ! I hope there is a rapid resolve !!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Bugger! ?

The Sovereigns can be an acoustic disaster if the room and amplification aren't matched.  I see you're using ME amps, what power output are they? 

Guest jakeyb77
5 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

Bugger! ?

The Sovereigns can be an acoustic disaster if the room and amplification aren't matched.  I see you're using ME amps, what power output are they? 

Over 300W at 8 ohms 

1 minute ago, jakeyb77 said:

Over 300W at 8 ohms 

I've heard 3 x systems with Sovereigns and all were using amps 500 + WPC @ 8 ohms.  I've heard Gale 401's perform their very best on 500 WPC amps as it completely changed the presence and dynamics of the sound.  Considering the enormous Sovereigns, it would be very productive if the OP could borrow something almost double the output he's presently using to help identify power and/or room issues.  From this side of the country and not having heard the system, my first consideration with Sovereigns is amplification.        

Guest jakeyb77
3 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

I've heard 3 x systems with Sovereigns and all were using amps 500 + WPC @ 8 ohms.  I've heard Gale 401's perform their very best on 500 WPC amps as it completely changed the presence and dynamics of the sound.  Considering the enormous Sovereigns, it would be very productive if the OP could borrow something almost double the output he's presently using to help identify power and/or room issues.  From this side of the country and not having heard the system, my first consideration with Sovereigns is amplification.        

Possibly. These amps are quoted to be more around 400W per channel.

In saying that, the ME1400 is very popular with Sovereigns and is 220W per channel. 
The main topic seems not to be the watts per channel but to be output current. Which the 1400 runs at 100 amps. 
That being said everyone should drop off some amps to Dougs and see. 

If you want to keep the speakers, imo you have two choices as no amplifier is going to fix humps and nulls in the bass region.  You will only piss $$ up against the wall and create heartbreak.   I have been there.    Large full range speakers are very hard to get right when the room ain't helping. 

eq or new room.

What is the issue with the sound that is the biggest problem in listening long term?.   Is there too much bass creating a muddy boomy sound or does the null create something that is lean/bright lack of tone and presence.

the good news is your preamp has a tape monitor loop, so you can get a Deqx have it calibrated and eq'd to what you prefer in the bass.  You can insert it into the music when you want and remove it by turning off the tape loop on the remote - best of both worlds as it does not have to be always in the system.

It's not perfect but it does work better than any passive bass traps etc as you just cannot get low enough with enough of them.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Hmmm buyers remorse with a twist! ? 

When I heard the Sovereigns after setup on first day oriented along the fireplace side, was highly impressed with the result so quickly.

Just way too fussy for your own good Doug, 

Took me months till I was entirely  happy with the Hulgichs, don't lose hope or your temper so fast!

I'll bring over my pre and Bryston for a session,  wouldn't hurt surely. ?

Need more snags anyway!

If that doesn't work , sell them - you probably are suffering from over active, grass is greener mindset syndrome! ?

Edited by evil c
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, kelossus said:

I really doubt the ME isn't supplying enough power.

It isn't just about the power, lot of difference in sound from various power amps.

Found that out when I demoed several in my system. 

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
11 minutes ago, evil c said:

It isn't just about the power, lot of difference in sound from various power amps.

Found that out when I demoed several in my system. 

Your hearing can’t be trusted... you just enjoy the chase ?

Guest jakeyb77
Just now, evil c said:

Fair cop, but others verified my findings - my trouble making adversary ! ?

How you gonna “drop off” your amps? Can’t even pick yours up. 
Going in the classifieds tomorrow