Tantalising Turntables

Why do they insist on putting that ugly front on the McIntosh - looks awful.

DS

I own Mac gear and the front plates look great in a nice retro way on their amps, however I agree.

The turntable is plain ugly, especially considering it is a Clearaudio in drag.

That Rolf Kelch is so obviously German - you can tell even without being told it's German. All that gold bling! Well done gold bling = German. Badly done gold bling = Chinese.

Herr W,

You are the only one on SNA who could get away with a remark like that :D

Rolf is indeed German, and was Product Manager at Thorens before it became bankrupt. He purchased most of the spare parts and tooling form the liquidators. Someone else now owns the Thorens brand name.:P

The Rold Kelch is actually a rebuilt Thorens Reference, the most expensive and best table ever built by Thorens.

Thorens_reference_LB-661x525.jpg

Thorens Reference Turntable

cheers

2sheds

Oh, I remember that one, a classic. :D

And with this, it must then bring us to end of this thread 2sheds? It's been fun, but could there more?

Cheers.

Hehehe ;) Well, Nostro, maybe....or maybe not...as long as their are vinyl lovers (and new turntables) in this world :)

cheers

2sheds

Walrus Systems? Who, where, what?

Like the look of that.

RR,

The turntable is actually a Musical Fidelity M1 turntable with SME arm costing around $7500. The turntable is sold by a wonderful store in the UK - Walrus Systems.:D

cheers

2sheds

Hehehe ;) Well, Nostro, maybe....or maybe not...as long as their are vinyl lovers (and new turntables) in this world :)

cheers

2sheds

Very true & will be awaiting any further instalments. :D

But what about a vintage type thread featuring classic (collectable) TT's of yesteryear, including old 78 players?

My knowledge is rather thin here, but I've always fancied the idea of having such a collection (alas no space, nor the money I must add), but some pics with info I think would be rather interesting, that is if you have the desire & required cognition.

Cheers!

Very true & will be awaiting any further instalments. :D

But what about a vintage type thread featuring classic (collectable) TT's of yesteryear, including old 78 players?

My knowledge is rather thin here, but I've always fancied the idea of having such a collection (alas no space, nor the money I must add), but some pics with info I think would be rather interesting, that is if you have the desire & required cognition.

Cheers!

Classic collectables...? mmmm....that might work. Maybe anything from the 80's back to and including the mono and 78 days. And maybe a rating of it's performance and collectability e.g Garrard 301 (Grease Bearing) Collectability: 5 (out of 5) Performance: 5 (out of 5) Price Range: $500-20,000 78rpm ?: Yes Drive: Idler Years Made: 1954-1960

Yeah, that could work Nostro. Could be useful for beginners and potential collectors alike.

cheers

2sheds

Classic collectables...? mmmm....that might work. Maybe anything from the 80's back to and including the mono and 78 days. And maybe a rating of it's performance and collectability e.g Garrard 301 (Grease Bearing) Collectability: 5 (out of 5) Performance: 5 (out of 5) Price Range: $500-20,000 78rpm ?: Yes Drive: Idler Years Made: 1954-1960

Yeah, that could work Nostro. Could be useful for beginners and potential collectors alike.

cheers

2sheds

Oh.....yeass please 2sheds. ;) Probably 80's should be the latest (when I first got my Rega P3), but useful for some of the younger members I'm quite sure who do not remember what was on offer back then.

But I'd be most interested in earlier rigs, when I was either in my teens & only dreamed or even earlier when I had no an idea as I was too young to be thinking about such delectable items or then again not even born or even thought about. :D

I'll leave it in your most capable hands to get it started & hopefully others will be able to assist.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

table1_bl.jpg

Progressive Engineering 'The Turntable' (Price around $3000 w/o arm)

From the US of A , and looking for all the world like a baby Raven (and a bit cheaper..)

cheers

2sheds

'The Turntable' - gee that's unique, that's different, a name that really stands out from the pack (not). I hope that they didn't spend too much money on a marketing company to come up with that name!

To Top