Tantalising Turntables

TT thats one hell of a nice block of wood - do you know what it is?

I reckon A9X is right on the money Andy. :eek: Maple and a veneer. A pretty nice approach, too, as generally with turntables a multi layered plinth works better than sold wood. With the veneer, you get the looks, with the performance, although some argue that even that thin layer of veneer on the side diminishes performance as it effects resonance dissipation. :D

I particularly like the tonearm on the right - a Thomas Schick with a RA Laboratories RS-3 pivoting headshell :)

cheers

2sheds

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some guy from Germany loved his Tammy GT-750 but did not care for the cheap plinth. Have a look at is new plinth - beautiful.                  

I was having a look at Analog Planet and watched the video of Fremer and Chris Thornton from Artisan Fidelity. This Garrard 301 looked not bad on the clip so I had a look elsewhere to find more detail

Came across this lovely TT today at a clients house. Sadly it wasn't connected up to the beautiful Zu Audio speakers sitting next to it, but I presumed it sang a wonderful tune...

Thanks A9x - not familiar with flame maple - it really is very pretty - great bit of veneer work I could jhave sworn it was a solid piece - just went back and looked closely again and they have doen a great job with it if it is veneer.

I really really want to eventually try out some home made plynth - just too nervous to start.

So trying to keep us on topic - so far the TT with natural elements like wood and stone really stand out for me personally in terms of the "look".

This is amongts my favourite threads.

Thanks A9x - not familiar with flame maple - it really is very pretty - great bit of veneer work I could jhave sworn it was a solid piece - just went back and looked closely again and they have doen a great job with it if it is veneer.

I really really want to eventually try out some home made plynth - just too nervous to start.

So trying to keep us on topic - so far the TT with natural elements like wood and stone really stand out for me personally in terms of the "look".

This is amongts my favourite threads.

morning andy,

a9x is right about the maple, either acer saccharum,acer macrophyllum commonly called sugar maple or rock maple.the picture indicates the plinth is made using veneers rather than solids due to the fact there is no endgrain present on the plinth.very pretty timber,used as feature wood in a lot of electric guitars.the front of mondie's speakers are veneered in birdseye maple.

regards,guru.

A guru said, it's common on a lot of electric guitars and basses and some acoustics. I got very good at IDing wood when I was playing and trading instruments. Depending where in the world it was made, it might be some other timber or ply as outside the US pretty maples are very expensive. When I went to a luthier mate's place a couple of years ago he had just picked up solid slab of quilted maybe 50% more in volume from the TT pictured. Told me it cost $5k but was a 5A rated piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one from audio/vinyl asylum forum.

Steve Dobbins rework of the sought after Garrard 301. Nice!

310-tri2.bmp

301--Tri.bmp

I like that a lot. I've saved it in my 401 file for after the speakers are done and I tackle a plinth for mine.

Whilst on the subject of Garrards, did anyone else notice the grease bearing 301 that sold on sleazebay a couple of days back for $A4166?

Great turntables!! Love the 301. Sweet plinth. That takes a lot of love and care. Here are a couple of mine. The first is a Luxman PD-310 with a Fidelity Research FR-14. The second is a Technics SP-10 MK2A in a custom plinth I built from Baltic ply and a top cover of solid Mahogany.

Andrew

Great turntables!! Love the 301. Sweet plinth. That takes a lot of love and care. Here are a couple of mine. The first is a Luxman PD-310 with a Fidelity Research FR-14. The second is a Technics SP-10 MK2A in a custom plinth I built from Baltic ply and a top cover of solid Mahogany.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Nice deck and good job with the SP-10 custom plinth. And welcome too.

OK, here's a couple from my favourite brand.

Note these pics are from The Vintage Knob which can be found at: http://www.thevintageknob.org/index.html

It's a very good website for vintage gear.

Here goes:

[ATTACH]4861[/ATTACH]

and another

[ATTACH]4860[/ATTACH]

This is a Micro Seiki AP M1 which the Vintage Knob describes as follows:

"Micro Seiki's ultimate turntable : not the last one but the best."

They then go on to say:

"The mat and power supply were "shared" by the Marantz Tt 1000mkII, a turntable produced and engineered by Micro Seiki for Marantz."

Now the reason this is interesting is: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270300337928&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=017

So, if you really can't think of anything to get me for Christmas, or maybe you just missed my birthday . . .

They also have this pic:

[ATTACH]4862[/ATTACH]

The legendary S-Z1T.

Hit the pic limit if I do more so I'll continue in the next post.

DS

More Eye Candy for Micro Seiki tragics such as myself:

It's the S-Z1T again, just can't remember where I got these pics from!

[ATTACH]4865[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4866[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4867[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4868[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4869[/ATTACH]

Gotta love it. Someone really needs to resurrect the house of Micro Seiki.

DS

Micros are beautiful and engineering works of art, but my lusting after them has always been tempered by the absolute lack of spare parts.

I wish someone would resurrect the company and products, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

PS: sheds, who is your avatar?

More Eye Candy for Micro Seiki tragics such as myself:

It's the S-Z1T again, just can't remember where I got these pics from!

[ATTACH]4865[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4866[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4867[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4868[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4869[/ATTACH]

Gotta love it. Someone really needs to resurrect the house of Micro Seiki.

DS

I actually touched one of these today in Melbourne, hard to imagine. I can understand your excitement Davidsss grat build amazing sound.

All of the TT's on this page I find ugly.

What about this one?

clearaudio_turntable_solution_lrg.jpg

Or my newby

big.jpg

AinA,

I personally, wouldn't call the Garrard ugly :o And turntable #1 (dps3) in this series is, to my mind, a very stylish design....:)

dps-3-start.jpg

I DO like the Clearaudio and the RPM-1 in your posts, though...:( How is the Pro-ject sounding...? :rolleyes:

cheers

2sheds

All of the TT's on this page I find ugly.

What about this one?

clearaudio_turntable_solution_lrg.jpg

Or my newby

big.jpg

How does the new baby Project sound when compared to your old Rega P3?

Is the first one an American made turntable? I don't think Clearaudio makes one like that.

• 3 weeks later...
dueling micro seki's with one motor - bizzare looking to say the least

1226233350.jpg

Looking at the plater closest to the motor there's hardly any contact between belt and plater :P ,you would think an idler pulley between the platters would give better conact area .

Cheers

This belong to an Audiogon member.

Albert Porter's Techincs SP-10 Mk 3

1227334405.jpg

1227332870.jpg

Sweet. my SP10's never looked that good.
  • 1 month later...

The mind boggles! Just can't bring myself to post a picture of my rig a Luxman PD-310 with outboard vacuum pump, a Magnepan Unitrak Carbon fibre arm and a Supex Ruby SDX1000 cartridge & Sumiko Talisman. Platter has been silicone filled for additional dampening whole rig weighs about 66kg.

Trying to get a new drive belt at the moment?

• 2 months later...

Having my lunch munching 5 spice chicken and beef in black bean sauce. Drooling over every picture that is on here.

The Basis Audio is a bit OTT though.

Keeping this thread alive and preventing it from going into oblivion!