Soundtracks: Currently Spinning

Alamo Bay soundtrack: Ry Cooder

https://www.discogs.com/Ry-Cooder-Music-From-The-Motion-Picture-Alamo-Bay/release/2132436

https://www.amazon.com/Border-Alamo-Bay-S-T-Audio/dp/B00G2I4QO0/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1521769528&sr=1-1&keywords=the+border+alamo+bay+soundtrack

https://www.discogs.com/Ry-Cooder-The-Soundtracks-The-Border-Alamo-Bay/release/5160535

https://www.allmusic.com/album/alamo-bay-mw0000318462

< One of Cooder's better film scores, though the picture itself vanished into obscurity. Five of the nine pieces are instrumental, and Cooder flavors his distinctly trembling blues guitar with shakuhachi and violin to create moody pieces evoking spare and desolate landscapes that owe as much to the tropics and the desert as the Delta. Also has some routine bar-band blues-rock songs, a country duet between John Hiatt and actress Amy Madigan, and cameo appearances by David Lindley, David Hidalgo and Cesar Rosas of Los Lobos, and Fear vocalist Lee Ving. >

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-border-alamo-bay-original-soundtracks-mw0000416770

< The folks at Raven Records in Australia must have a blast assembling projects. This pairing of two 1980s Ry Cooder soundtracks is a case in point. The Border, composed and released in 1982, was the soundtrack to Tony Richardson's film The Border, and 1985's Alamo Bay was directed by Louis Malle. The interesting thing about these soundtracks is that they come immediately after Cooder's successful collaboration with Walter Hill on The Long Riders and Southern Comfort, and as the before-and-after bookends to his enigmatic score for Wim Wenders' Paris, Texas. The score for The Border is perfectly balanced. Cooder's slide work is always touted, but also noteworthy is his ability to virtually disappear in the mix when collaborating with Flaco Jimenez, Freddy Fender, Jim Dickinson, Jim Keltner, and Sam "The Sham" Samudio. The haunting title track, "Across the Borderline," sung by Fender, is among the most beautiful and literate cuts Cooder has ever written. The cantina music by Jimenez and Samudio is utterly evocative. Check the tunes with Samudio on vocals, such as "Palomita" and "No Quiero," to get the laid-back, sun-up feel. Then there's John Hiatt. Hiatt was at the beginning of his association with Cooder. He helped to pen some of the better cuts on the set, including the aforementioned "Across the Borderline" and the bluesy garage rock jam "Skin Game." His high-whine vocals are perfect for the tension between cultures and reflect the conflict of Jack Nicholson's character as a principled U.S. border guard. Alamo Bay, Malle's picture that pits American shrimpers against refugee Vietnamese on the south coast of Texas, is another study in contrasts. Once more, Cooder assembles an all-star band that includes Hiatt, Cesar Rosas, David Hidalgo, Lee Ving, Van Dyke Parks, David Lindley, Keltner, Chris Ethridge, David Mansfield, and Dickinson. The theme features Cooder's acoustic slide amidst strings (including Gayle Levant's harp), piano, and ambient sounds. The ethereal airy feel is swallowed whole by the raunchy electric roadhouse blues of "Gooks on Main Street," and dislocated once more on the country ballad "Too Close," performed by Hiatt with actress Amy Madigan, only to shift again with the sinister slide guitar and harmonica Eastern modal blues of "Klan Meeting," an instrumental. The score weaves and wends through barroom shouters, panoramic instrumentals, ballads, Tex Mex, and conjunto. Placing both recordings on a single disc is a rare and exotic treat, and gives great insight into the complex yet visionary artist Cooder is, and just how his music is the perfect accompaniment to visuals yet stands completely on its own. >

regards Ian

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked this up last week. What an amazing sounding ost. Iconic for sure but the bottom end in this is frightening. Another great Mondo release with original artwork and heavy weight card gatefold cover. Excellent.

IMG_0053.jpg
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, unclemack said:

Picked this up last week. What an amazing sounding ost. Iconic for sure but the bottom end in this is frightening. Another great Mondo release with original artwork and heavy weight card gatefold cover. Excellent.

IMG_0053.jpg

I was holding this in my hands yesterday wondering if I should pick this up or not. Sounds like you just made up my mind! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Tony ray said:

Pink Floyd More 1969. Never saw the movie.

Love this album. Nick Masons drumming is underestimated because of his more famous band mates but it just flows nicely.

MoreCover.jpg

Nice, I’ll recommend you another of the PF soundtracks from the French film Obscured by the clouds the album has the same name.

• Thanks 1

Nice, I’ll recommend you another of the PF soundtracks from the French film Obscured by the clouds the album has the same name.

My first PF album...nice.
Original film title La Vallée (The Valley).
From wiki:
Pink Floyd recorded an album, Obscured by Clouds, as the soundtrack to the film. After recording had finished, the band fell out with the film company, prompting them to release the soundtrack album as Obscured by Clouds, rather than La Vallée. In response, the film was retitled La Vallée (Obscured by Clouds) on its release.[1]
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peter-C said:

My first PF album...nice.
Original film title La Vallée (The Valley).
From wiki:
Pink Floyd recorded an album, Obscured by Clouds, as the soundtrack to the film. After recording had finished, the band fell out with the film company, prompting them to release the soundtrack album as Obscured by Clouds, rather than La Vallée. In response, the film was retitled La Vallée (Obscured by Clouds) on its release.[1]

Good stuff mate, didn’t know that

2 hours ago, att23 said:

Followed by Henry Mancini double album:

81ARvlDfFXL._SX522_.jpg

This  must be very nice, I have a copy of the first one: The Pink Panther that  I use as a "demo" album is amazing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hlov said:

This  must be very nice, I have a copy of the first one: The Pink Panther that  I use as a "demo" album is amazing.

I bought it for the Pink Panther but surprisingly I find that I enjoy the second album Symphonic Soul just as much.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose this should be posted here...

Some beautiful relaxing music, Vangelis - l'apocalypse des animaux, SQ Excellent?

This album's music accompanied a documentary series about the animal kingdom directed by Frédéric Rossif that was first broadcast on French TV in 1970.

20180708_164752.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Salvation! (Original Soundtrack) 1988 Aussie pressing. the movies was pretty crappy, but the soundtrack is just sensational including great tracks from New Order and Cabaret Voltaire. I Was Touched By the Hand Of God!!

[IMG]

• Like 1