Favourite album covers

Hi

An iconic picture from 1963 of the self immolation of Thich Quang Duc as a protest against South Vietnam's persecution against Buddhists.... 

b11e4fba.jpeg

JJ

It's incredible how he just sat there like that until he fell over dead :wacko:

• 4 weeks later...

Dead Can dance have always had great covers, but this is my fav both in cover and music

0652637270822.jpg

This statue is in a cemetery in Paris. My wife noticed it and stood and stared at it for ages and took this pic. (I can tell she took it because the head's not cut off)

IMGP1970.jpg

Didn't realise it was an album cover. It's awesomely eerie. We spent hours discussing what it was about.

This statue is in a cemetery in Paris. My wife noticed it and stood and stared at it for ages and took this pic. (I can tell she took it because the head's not cut off)

IMGP1970.jpg

Didn't realise it was an album cover. It's awesomely eerie. We spent hours discussing what it was about.

Man that is freaky spooky.    BTW, what were you doing in a Paris cemetery, looking for Jim Morrison's resting place?

Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Edited by metal beat

• Volunteer

Hi

An iconic picture from 1963 of the self immolation of Thich Quang Duc as a protest against South Vietnam's persecution against Buddhists.... 

JJ

To be honest I struggle with this one. It's horrific, just think about what's happening there for a moment and why.

Should his sacrifice end up helping to sell records?

• Like 5

Man that is freaky spooky.    BTW, what were you doing in a Paris cemetery, looking for Jim Morrison's resting place?

Thanks for sharing. :thumb:

*sigh* We did go to the Jim Morrison one, but that was because we promised my father-in-law that we would. *eye-roll*

I think this was the one that Oscar Wilde and Edith Piaf are buried in (could be wrong, a while ago now).

Oscar Wilde's tomb is, well… wild.

Woman-in-Red-kiss-kissing-007.jpg

The marks are all lip prints where people have kissed it. It's a pretty sweet tribute but for some reason they put a stop to it in 2011 with glass barriers.

Can't see how it was doing any harm.

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 1

To be honest I struggle with this one. It's horrific, just think about what's happening there for a moment and why.

Should his sacrifice end up helping to sell records?

You could look at it that way I suppose.

On the other hand, it's a photo someone took of him that's being used on the album cover.

He chose to do what he did.

He's dead.

Gone.

Not like he was tortured aganist his will for the purpose of the album cover....

-_-

This is a great cover

petergabriel-security.jpg

What's that one?

[EDIT]

(Just saw the name in the link when I quoted it haha)

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

IMGP1970.jpg

Weeping Angels? 

I personally rate that as one of the worst covers around. Can't stand it.

Fair enuff.

I think it was/is very suitable for the band and their name and everything about that album though.

The ultimate demonstration of being against something.

Setting yourself on fire.

:mellow:

Be that as it may, but I was talking about their first album......

....which, for the record will always be their best....

...and I would have been quite happy for them to have called it quits after....

-_-

Edited by Dirty_vinylpusher

• Volunteer

Fair enuff.

I think it was/is very suitable for the band and their name and everything about that album though.

The ultimate demonstration of being against something.

Setting yourself on fire.

:mellow:

Putting aside for a moment whether RATM were ever a credible protest band, this is not a staged scene. Some death metal covers are pretty gruesome but this is absolutely horrific... It's a real person dying a horrible death. Is that suitable stuff for *any* album cover?

Putting aside for a moment whether RATM were ever a credible protest band, this is not a staged scene. Some death metal covers are pretty gruesome but this is absolutely horrific... It's a real person dying a horrible death. Is that suitable stuff for *any* album cover?

That is why I hate that album cover.

RATM commandeered it for their own commercial purposes,and I think that is disrespectful to the person who took his own life.

• Like 1

No, it isn't in my opinion. It cheapens the image and its intent to publish it as an album cover.

Edited by rehabitat