Best Turntable Isolation Platform?

=

Well I just Saved as and rotated 90deg Counter clockwise in PShop-- Mac here too--I'm not too familiar with other Manip' programs-but your file onIy needs the CCW route.

Surprised your camera does not shoot/save file as you view-- I cannot see any meta data to name your source.

Maybe experiment a tad more with your camera.

Willco

It was iPhone :-)

• 1 year later...

• 1 year later...

Old thread, new post.....made an isolation platform yesterday for about $20!:partyHere's some pic's: DSCF3540.thumb.JPG.937745d4ab8f1694b7f340cd00a2fc57.JPGDSCF3543.thumb.JPG.e7f60272c3352abb951384e52c341db6.JPG It's made from structural plywood. I'd have preferred 25mm thick (or thicker), but settled on 17mm thick due to a cheap offcut at the timber yard. It sits on five semi-sphere sorbothane 'legs'. Can't really tell if it's made any difference to the SQ but it appears to have quietened the noise floor:unsure:.....It was fun to do anyway.:thumb:

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 3

I have mounted a wall shelf approx 1cm above the top shelf of my rack so it appears to float. Turntable is then sitting on a butchers block with 3 sorbothane feet underneath while turntable plinth is coupled to this via 3 Vibrapods. 

fullsizeoutput_450.jpeg

IMG_2468.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

G'day folks.

A very old thread brought back to life once again as I've started researching a DIY Isolation Platform for my new turntable.

I've read the first 10 pages and have skipped to the last few to see how recent the posts were.  Great to see some pics from @stevoz & @Tubularbells set ups.

I was hoping that some of you could update what you have found/done over the years since this topic began.  Maybe posting some new pics and details of what works for you.

I'm a bit of a technical simpleton, equations have never been my forte, and could use some basic help about what we are trying to do...

i.e. Isolation - Damping - Resonance of different materials etc.

From what I can gather we are trying to 'minimise' the vibration transfer between objects/materials, by minimising the area of contact, or using the resonance characteristics of the materials.  But I am also wondering about the vibrating air of the sound itself?  I guess that the dust cover reduces some of this.

One post mentioned removing some of the resonance in a platform by reducing the size or shape, but what about cutting a large hole in the middle of a square platform?

Or, would a round platform create less or more resonance than a square?

I'm considering using a sand tray sitting on a soft foam or material sheet, sitting on a solid platform which will have some cushioning feet or maybe using an inner tube.

I'm reluctant to use springs due to the maths involved.

I'm a novice when it comes to the issues of sound and resonance, so any help, advice or links to recommended reading would be very much appreciated.

Regards.

Ant.

P.S. Back to page 11 for continued reading.

Edit - I'm also thinking of similar platforms for my speakers, for vibration as well as raising them.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

On 03/03/2017 at 4:26 PM, Tubularbells said:

I have mounted a wall shelf approx 1cm above the top shelf of my rack so it appears to float. Turntable is then sitting on a butchers block with 3 sorbothane feet underneath while turntable plinth is coupled to this via 3 Vibrapods. 

fullsizeoutput_450.jpeg

IMG_2468.JPG

How did you get your tonearm to change sides like that?

• Like 1

Guest Misterioso

I am also interested in this topic. Some new isolation platforms are showing up on the market:

1) Wyndham Audio (https://www.wyndhamaudio.com.au/products/natural-timber-audio-component-isolation-platforms)

@scuzzii seemed to be very impressed by this product.

2) Isoacoustics Delos (https://www.stereo.net.au/news/isoacoustics-delos-isolation-platform-coming-soon)

Supposed to be here in August. Did not happen as far as I can see. Local distributor does not respond to email about expected arrival date and pricing.

Edited by Misterioso

I've been surfing for different feet options.

Looking at the round feet pictured above by @Rockford, and also spiked feet.

As part of the process of reducing contact between objects/materials, I'm leaning towards spiked feet. 

My questions are - Do they reduce vibration by making less contact, or do they focus the same vibration into the point?

What other feet options are around?  What are the principles/characteristics of feet I should be looking for?

There are so many different ones available, a little guidance in narrowing my search would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Ant.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz

1 hour ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

.. and also spiked feet.

As part of the process of reducing contact between objects/materials, I'm leaning towards spiked feet

My questions are - Do they reduce vibration by making less contact, or do they focus the same vibration into the point?

Mmmm - you must've missed a few lessons in maths at school, BF!  :lol:

Spikes do not reduce vibration by making less contact - they couple the 'thing' which is on top of them ... to the surface which is beneath them.  So:

• if a component's case is vibrating - perhaps from a power transformer - these vibrations will be funneled away from the case and into the surface which the spikes are resting on.  Which, yes, can reduce the vibration in the component's case.
  • but if the surface which the spikes are resting on, is vibrating ... the spikes provide a pathway to channel these vibrations up into the component's case.  :)

In terms of coupling - just do the maths!  Say the component's case has 4 feet - and each foot has a surface area of 2.5 sq cms.  That's 10 sq cms in total.

Component weighs 10 kg - so the feet are pressing down on the benchtop/shelf with a force of 1kg per sq cm.

Now put 4 spikes under the component; each spike has a point with an area of 1 sq mm (that's a pretty blunt 'spike', btw!  :) ).  Now the 10kg weight of the component is being supported on an area of 4sq mm - that's a force of 250kg per sq cm!  (10kg / 4 sq mm)  IOW, the component is now pressing down on the benchtop/shelf with a weight 250 times that of the feet!  Which will couple it to the benchtop/shelf!  :lol:

Andy

• Like 1

Been using large Isonode feet under my 401 and SP10/2. No more problems with footsteps near the cabinet now.(Old house)

Definitely tightened up the bass under the 401.

https://www.needledoctor.com/Bright-star-isonode-extra-large

And using these under my speakers. A lot cleaner bass.

https://herbiesaudiolab.com/collections/loudspeaker-rack-decoupling-and-isolation/products/cone-spike-decoupling-glider

Edited by Neilsan

17 hours ago, Rockford said:

I went the Ebay and Off-cut route. 8 Aluminium 'Isolation Feet' from Ebay for about $50. Two kitchen stone benchtop offcuts cut to size for $50. About 30Kg of weight in them.

IMG_1808.jpg.61dd84a196a42dc4f500961e2cdd93b2.jpg

I have the same TT. Do you mind telling me which record clamp that is and where purchased? The plastic 1 that comes with the TT is totally at odds with the finish of the table. I have mine on an Ikea bamboo chopping block with 5 small squares of sorbothane supporting the chopping block. My Entertainment unit's top is also concrete, but it can't be solid concrete as it's not that heavy

29 minutes ago, blybo said:

I have the same TT. Do you mind telling me which record clamp that is and where purchased? The plastic 1 that comes with the TT is totally at odds with the finish of the table. I have mine on an Ikea bamboo chopping block with 5 small squares of sorbothane supporting the chopping block. My Entertainment unit's top is also concrete, but it can't be solid concrete as it's not that heavy

Yep, it is this one, no idea if it is a legit Viborg. Not too heavy, as I think the belt is at it's limit without slipping happening.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Viborg-LP-Turntable-Stabilizer-Vibration-Balance-Clamp-Weight-280g-50Hz-60Hz-1PC/222763092558

• Like 1

G'day @andyr - Thanks for your post mate, it actually made a lot of sense for me.

Indeed, maths was my most frustrating subject at school.  As mentioned in my earlier post, when it comes to equations I tend to shut down, but I understand the way you explained it.

This is the first time I have considered isolating any of my equipment, it's all very new for me, and I wasn't really sure what coupling meant.

I have recently bought my first new TT, which has prompted my enquiries here.

I don't know a lot about the characteristics of sound and resonance, but my research has begun.

I've read through this whole thread, some of it made sense and some of it didn't.  I will re-read through and dig a little deeper into the points I don't understand.

I'm interested in the different resonance qualities of different materials, such as glass, wood, stone, and also the different characteristics of different types of wood and stone, and how they affect sound and each component, and how they sound with my equipment.

I actually picked up a cheap piece of sandstone today, and will pick up a few different types of wood next Monday.

Thanks again.

Ant.

@BuzzzFuzzz, any change to the siting of your Turntable can change the sound, as you have found many things have been tried and claims made, i started with plywood tables with drawer knobs, then various skeletal frames, wood, aluminium 1 inch square sand filled, then steel 1 inch squared sand filled with screws for levelling, on my current Turntable Rega Planar 2 (1976 model) i have removed the original feet and screwed a piece of slate which has a layer of silicon between it and the Turntable and used squash balls as feet, i enjoy the sound of the current setup, had a Linn Sondek prior, not missing it, this setup might be better but unless you do a side by side test?

15682071433471511528024.jpg

1568207181805546371309.jpg

15682072392981230234119.jpg

• Like 1