MERIDIAN ANNOUNCES NEXT GENERATION DSP8000 XE DIGITAL ACTIVE LOUDSPEAKER
Meridian Audio has launched ground-breaking new developments in Digital Active Loudspeakers with the introduction of its new flagship loudspeaker, the DSP8000 XE.
The DSP8000 XE is the first Meridian loudspeaker to emerge from the company’s Extreme Engineering Programme which commenced more than six years ago. Informed by psychoacoustics and engineered by experts, the Extreme Engineering Programme was created to re-imagine every element of Meridian’s product platforms, including both software and hardware.
A major advance, borne from Meridian’s significant investment in this programme , is a new design concept known as ‘Precision Sonic Transport’ (PST). PST adopts innovative techniques and new processes to ensure that every aspect of the audio signal journey through the loudspeaker maintains maximum sonic fidelity. Every detail and emotion is rendered to the listener exactly as captured in the recording. DSP8000 XE is the first of Meridian’s products to benefit from the enhancements enabled by PST, with further new product developments to be announced.
The DSP8000 XE is built on a brand-new audio architecture, using higher specification, more powerful components and leveraging Meridian’s expertise in psychoacoustics to achieve exceptional sound quality.
• Atlas Software Core. An all-new, future facing audio processing and control platform. Host to Meridian’s most powerful DSP engine to date, Atlas Software Core enables the implementation of new enhancement technologies and features. It also allows even more performance to be extracted and delivered from Meridian’s existing proprietary audio technologies.
• R1 Electronics Platform. The essential hardware infrastructure that deploys the Precision Sonic Transport design concept in DSP8000 XE. It features all-new, highly specified digital and analogue circuitry and sophisticated, signal enhancing developments, including:
- Command Board: State of the art processing centre, dedicated to the powerful DSP processing engine and controlling the functionality of the speaker.
- Sync-Link: Transporting precision re-clocked digital audio via shielded RJ45 links from the Command Board directly to the new DAC boards. - All new DACs and Amplifiers: Separate dedicated higher performance DAC boards and more powerful, application-specific amplifier boards are hard-wired via extremely short balanced audio connections to minimise any signal interference.
• Next Generation Drive Units. Introduced throughout to push performance levels to new heights.
- Subsonic Bass Driver: Six all-new 200mm long-throw (24mm excursion) bass drivers in a ‘force balanced’ configuration to give maximum bass extension with total clarity and control.
- Evo Mid-Range Driver: A 160mm long-throw drive unit, newly developed non-conductive voice coil former and large motor system to deliver detail and clarity combined with power and dynamics.
- Ultrasonic Tweeter: A 25mm beryllium dome and silver voice-coil featuring a new custom steel waveguide which enables pinpoint imaging and wide dispersion for total spatial immersion.
• Cabinet and Mechanics. Modernised aesthetics and re-engineered cabinet accommodate mechanical performance enhancements with updated driver clamp-ring system, flush-fitting acoustically transparent metal grilles and mass-loading aluminium base plate.
• Connectivity and Control. DSP8000 XE offers significant new connectivity and control features. These include easy setup and control via the new Meridian B-Link Bluetooth device, IR, USB, RS232, or with a Meridian Controller product. Each loudspeaker also includes the optional IA21 analogue input module which enables users to connect and control the DSP8000 XE via their preferred third-party analogue pre-amplifier or processor, if they wish.
Orders for the DSP8000 XE are being taken now, the standard finish is piano black. Select colour options are available. Start of production for DSP8000 XE is March 2022.