Best Turntable Isolation Platform?

What an unbelievably stupid idea! :confused:

What an unbelievably stupid idea! :confused:

A squash "ball" is filled with air; once you cut it in half ... the air disappears! :P

A good isolation platform is a heavy slab with some "springs" underneath - these "springs" can be "real springs" or an air bladder.  Squash balls - or a semi-inflated kid's-bike inner tyre - provide the air.

If some squash balls went flat, I suggest they were either old and degraded ... or they had too much weight pressing on them; 3-5kgs per ball is the ideal, AIUI.

Regards,

Andy

Stupid yourself, adding a ridiculous smiley doesn't make you any less of a prat. Give it a rest mate.

Just to skip back a bit. People are talking about using rare earth magnets to produce a "levitating" platform and I've had a few ideas on the same subject. But,and here my high school physics lets me down, does anybody know what sort of effect the magnetic field would have on the turntable electronics? Would the field induce unwanted currents? And therefore exacerbate any problems already there?

Just to skip back a bit. People are talking about using rare earth magnets to produce a "levitating" platform and I've had a few ideas on the same subject. But,and here my high school physics lets me down, does anybody know what sort of effect the magnetic field would have on the turntable electronics? Would the field induce unwanted currents? And therefore exacerbate any problems already there?

All the devices am aware of  are designed to "contain" the magnetic field. If that were no the case it would be very problematic , as cartridges as very sensitive to magnetic fields

I have not tried it but I like how the Hickory gives an Organic sound  :D

Yes, that made me smile. Saying that though, my unsuspended SME Model 10 is profoundly affected by what material it sits on so if it was on hickory rather than say treated pine i might well pick 'organic' as the epithet to use for describing the sonics.

Has anybody used anything like this from Acoustic Revive? It seems one of the more elegant ways of doing things.

http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/underboard/raf-48h.html

RAF-48Hs.jpg

You can buy a used one from Melb for $579.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Acoustic-Revive-RAF-48-Air-Floating-Suspension-Board-/301015555760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4615ecdeb0

• 1 month later...

I received a set of isolation springs from Vince ( Once Analog) yesterday.

He made three sets, one for myself the second for an OA turntable customer in Sydney, while hanging on to the last set for himself.

After having  a bit of a play with them last night, all I can say is " what a difference".

The sound stage has grown significantly in height, width and depth.

The  separation of instruments has increased,  the base has improved with the overall result exceeding my somewhat sceptical, preconceived opinion of them actually making any difference.

Go figure, these things actually work.......... :D 

post-110826-0-23806600-1387516916_thumb.

post-110826-0-21435200-1387516775_thumb.

• Like 1

I received a set of isolation springs from Vince ( Once Analog) yesterday.

He made three sets, one for myself the second for an OA turntable customer in Sydney, while hanging on to the last set for himself.

After having  a bit of a play with them last night, all I can say is " what a difference".

The sound stage has grown significantly in height, width and depth.

The  separation of instruments has increased,  the base has improved with the overall result exceeding my somewhat sceptical, preconceived opinion of them actually making any difference.

Go figure, these things actually work.......... :D 

attachicon.gif20131219_195047.jpg

attachicon.gif20131219_195116.jpg

Nice looking springs Sam,

Great to hear they make a difference, it looks like the tt is ready for take off

Typical Vince, the French polisher in him could not resist taking the humble spring and turning it into a star

Now all you mechanical engineers have sorted this out I have some very basic questions for you all.

Where are the calculations for the spring rates to ensure correct bounce at say 5Hz? I have seen a

lot of talk and a distinct lack of actual physics.

I take it that he physics are the same for all loadings?  Is it just the suspended mass that changes for

different  turntables that need to be taken into account

These calculations with the suspended mass plugged in should tell us the number of springs required,

spring height, number of coils, diameter of spring wire for a given material type. (spring materials raises

another one hundred questions just on it's own)

How do you propose to place the given springs to ensure a dead even loading on each spring ensuring

that each spring operates in a dead vertical up/down motion. Or do you calculate the weight placed on

say each four corners and calculate the correct spring for each position?

How do you propose to damp the oscillation of the suspended mass once the induced vibration stops?

How does this system (or a magnetic levitation system) compensate for side loadings caused by airborne

vibrations hitting the suspended mass?

This topic has been done to death on nearly every forum that has anything to do with sound reproduction.

I have yet to see anyone come up with a home grown (read cheap) solution that fits every application.

The physics involved (to my understanding) are not simple and are even harder to implement properly given

the amount of variables involved. I think it's fair to say that a lot of students have used this very problem as

their University thesis with the results being the current range of Vibraplane (and similar) static and active

devices on the market mainly used for the mounting of optical equipment. These devices address vibration

in all modes and have suitable damping mechanisms They really are the only suitable solution albeit at a high cost.

The reason for the high cost being is that It is just not simple equipment you can knock up in the back shed for a

couple of hundred bucks.

If you have half a chance put the TT in another room or mount it all on a concrete slab. Prevention is cheaper

than cure in this case?

I wish you guys luck coming up with something that works anywhere near as well as an optical table but I will bet

most efforts end up being no better than a concrete paving slab or a piece of slate sitting on series of squash balls, a

wheelbarrow tube or similar. 

Now all you mechanical engineers have sorted this out I have some very basic questions for you all.

Where are the calculations for the spring rates to ensure correct bounce at say 5Hz? I have seen a

lot of talk and a distinct lack of actual physics.

I take it that he physics are the same for all loadings?  Is it just the suspended mass that changes for

different  turntables that need to be taken into account

These calculations with the suspended mass plugged in should tell us the number of springs required,

spring height, number of coils, diameter of spring wire for a given material type. (spring materials raises

another one hundred questions just on it's own)

How do you propose to place the given springs to ensure a dead even loading on each spring ensuring

that each spring operates in a dead vertical up/down motion. Or do you calculate the weight placed on

say each four corners and calculate the correct spring for each position?

How do you propose to damp the oscillation of the suspended mass once the induced vibration stops?

How does this system (or a magnetic levitation system) compensate for side loadings caused by airborne

vibrations hitting the suspended mass?

This topic has been done to death on nearly every forum that has anything to do with sound reproduction.

I have yet to see anyone come up with a home grown (read cheap) solution that fits every application.

The physics involved (to my understanding) are not simple and are even harder to implement properly given

the amount of variables involved. I think it's fair to say that a lot of students have used this very problem as

their University thesis with the results being the current range of Vibraplane (and similar) static and active

devices on the market mainly used for the mounting of optical equipment. These devices address vibration

in all modes and have suitable damping mechanisms They really are the only suitable solution albeit at a high cost.

The reason for the high cost being is that It is just not simple equipment you can knock up in the back shed for a

couple of hundred bucks.

If you have half a chance put the TT in another room or mount it all on a concrete slab. Prevention is cheaper

than cure in this case?

I wish you guys luck coming up with something that works anywhere near as well as an optical table but I will bet

most efforts end up being no better than a concrete paving slab or a piece of slate sitting on series of squash balls, a

wheelbarrow tube or similar.

Personally It doesn't matter to me as the consumer at the end of the line as to the physics or engineering know how that went into development....

It works for my set up and it's relatively inexpensive when compared to other products...

Well worth it in my situation,.

I