My Babies are back !!

On 13/03/2021 at 12:37 AM, doogie44 said:

Interesting comments about the Martin Logan Monolith. Having loved the CLS (with sub) driven by VTL tubes, I couldn't get the Monoliths I upgraded to to dance--especially at higher volumes (driven by Classe 25). The sound always felt lacklustre. Possibly distorted somewhat. I was disappointed but this also triggered my journey towards SET amps as I then went 'small scale' in my quest for tonal purity. Shenzen Labs VAL 211 monos driving Artemis EOS 2-way speakers: bliss for a decade.

Just my 2c worth

Well my first reaction with the MLs was a bit of a disappointment . But only because I was expecting them to compete with the big SGRs .

But soon realised that keeping them within a certain range they truly sang.

I drove them with with what I had on hand which was an Elektra Phynx tubed pre and a HD3 Reference @300/side.

They just worked beautifully.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blybo said:

Great to hear @joz . Did you have them off the back wall and toed in previously? I remember them against the rear wall and straight into the room 

Only a bit further out but with a bit more toe in this time. Possibly a bit to much though.

2 hours ago, joz said:

Only a bit further out but with a bit more toe in this time. Possibly a bit to much though.

The illuminators come across as a speaker that are not overly fussy as far as position goes and don't need a heap of toe-in especially in that big room.

Have the new footers made much of a difference?

On 14/03/2021 at 5:37 PM, frednork said:

They really do look awe inspiring Joe! And If you need some measuring happy to help!!

Thanks , but all done now.

On 15/03/2021 at 6:04 PM, unclemack said:

Great news. The SGR team provide nothing less than superb service. Another great Aussie manufacturer. Can’t wait to have a listen to these monsters again. 

Yep, absolutely outstanding service from the boys. 

You just need to come back to town. 

On 15/03/2021 at 6:21 PM, Pigpen said:

Those outriggers look exceptional - I wonder if they make them separately for other speakers??

These were custom from Stuart, not sure he'd want to do anymore custom work after doing mine ?

On 16/03/2021 at 10:41 AM, anandpkumar said:

Great to see these back in action. Some cling film still stuck to the sides

Yep, trust someone to pickup on that ?

All peeled of once in situ.

On 14/03/2021 at 4:42 PM, Martykt said:

The illuminators come across as a speaker that are not overly fussy as far as position goes and don't need a heap of toe-in especially in that big room.

Have the new footers made much of a difference?

The footers were more for stability and my piece of mind rather than sound improvement, they were already on spikes previously.

• Like 2

Glad to see some normality has returned @joz, however place looks a tad under dressed without a mighty fish tank!

However with the ultra low frequency  shockwaves shaking the last one apart, best to be safe with one of smaller dimensions like this ! ?

20210320_223908.thumb.jpg.f7b9dacf30d5ec92810afee5dd6e3c78.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/03/2021 at 9:13 AM, joz said:

These were custom from Stuart, not sure he'd want to do anymore custom work after doing mine ?

Have just engaged both VAF and Grizzlyworks for outriggers for my i93.

On 07/03/2021 at 9:33 AM, MrBurns84 said:

@joz That centre doesnt look like it does the Illuminator's justice... perhaps SGR can custom build a matching illuminator centre? lol

The centre looks like a Whatmough Monitors P-06 perhaps?

Is it staying?

15 hours ago, panasonkyo said:

The centre looks like a Whatmough Monitors P-06 perhaps?

Is it staying?

Yep, had Whatmoughs all round back in the day.

It's not really a sonic match for the SGRs but at this stage it's staying.

Truly sensational stuff there @joz I know from experience just how dedicated the Ralstons are and the quality of their products. Everything has to be perfect. Can't imagine how much those speakers would cost to make/purchase now, they are quite incredible.

• Like 1

Have you considered upgrading the amplification? A pretty penny to provide all the chanels required at the quality demanded. I can put you in touch with my Columbian importer freind if you wish, he's always happy to provide fiscal opportunities to daring young chaps such as yourself.

• Haha 2