Jump to content

My Babies are back !!


Recommended Posts

Well it's been a long time coming after like the prodigal son, or two in this case.

So long story short, nearly a year and a half ago at one of my GTGs the tunes were gently massaging the attendees. As the day progressed there was a mishap with a bass driver which ended in tears (mine).

Then as things would have it, we had that year from hell. Much audio related industry stopped around the world, yes the audio gods can have a cruel way of doing things sometimes.

Anyhow finally the parts arrived and my subs could be rebuilt.

The boys from SGR arrived for the reassembly. Piece by piece box by box the towers grew. This time though atop of some massive outriggers, heavy duty versions of SGRs award wining audio racking.

 

But sadly my temporary speakers, Martin Logan Monoliths are moving on.

Their transparent midrange will most certainly be missed, a stunning speaker at low to moderate volumes.

But with scale and dynamics and sheer excitement Illuminators they are not.

 

 


 

D58DF820-CA76-404A-847D-1B0B02248A9B.jpeg
711FDEE4-D340-4E5D-8970-F8BB76563C21.jpeg

5626BE4B-B2E6-4735-B90E-B450905651EB.jpeg7C475B2D-C6A5-4D77-9C2F-B3BA18E88E22.png

 

72AFF5B7-352E-4887-8191-B544E6123CBF.png

5A15EF56-FC47-4862-B201-01BBC719F4C6.png

118BEFA4-2030-4CFA-9B15-6DEF30B207C1.jpeg

816BEED8-86E6-440B-95CF-56EB86861366.png

  • Like 35
  • Love 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh a quick pic of the near field response measurements.

855FAF9C-0933-470D-8A87-E42D9611F2D0.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thats what i like about SGR, Stuart and team are pretty hands on.  Years ago i thought i had a problem with my left CX4F plate amp overheating and safety was kicking in from time to time.  Quick call to SGR and Stuart rocked up to give it check up.  Took the plate amp back and ran it over 3 days, and reported nothing wrong with it.  Long story short, I worked out it was my preamp xlr output that was overheating it.  :) 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, joz said:

Oh a quick pic of the near field response measurements.

855FAF9C-0933-470D-8A87-E42D9611F2D0.jpeg

Wow, pretty flat response above 90dbs... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, joz said:

So long story short, nearly a year and a half ago at one of my GTGs the tunes were gently massaging the attendees. 

 

 

 

Lol, yeah, gently...  

 

I can't believe it's taken so long, so frustrating for everyone involved.  Great to see it all being resolved professionally though, a big thumbs up.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, realysm42 said:

Wow gorgeous speakers you've got there and it looks like they don't wimp out at the bottom either!

 

What do you drive them with?

 

Thanks.

They are being driven by 8 Channels of Elektra amplification.

One 2 Channel Reference HD and a Multichannel HD.

 

With room gain and a gentle boost by me? the bass is certainly not rolling off like in the near field graph. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kaynin said:

 

 

Lol, yeah, gently...  

 

I can't believe it's taken so long, so frustrating for everyone involved.  Great to see it all being resolved professionally though, a big thumbs up.

Yea! gently?

Sooooo long, 2020 the year that kept giving.

Stuart and the guys were great, the install is so much more than unpacking a box and placing them insitu.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, joz said:

Well it's been a long time coming after like the prodigal son, or two in this case.

So long story short, nearly a year and a half ago at one of my GTGs the tunes were gently massaging the attendees. As the day progressed there was a mishap with a bass driver which ended in tears (mine).

Then as things would have it, we had that year from hell. Much audio related industry stopped around the world, yes the audio gods can have a cruel way of doing things sometimes.

Anyhow finally the parts arrived and my subs could be rebuilt.

The boys from SGR arrived for the reassembly. Piece by piece box by box the towers grew. This time though atop of some massive outriggers, heavy duty versions of SGRs award wining audio racking.

 

But sadly my temporary speakers, Martin Logan Monoliths are moving on.

Their transparent midrange will most certainly be missed, a stunning speaker at low to moderate volumes.

But with scale and dynamics and sheer excitement Illuminators they are not.

 

 


 

D58DF820-CA76-404A-847D-1B0B02248A9B.jpeg
711FDEE4-D340-4E5D-8970-F8BB76563C21.jpeg

5626BE4B-B2E6-4735-B90E-B450905651EB.jpeg7C475B2D-C6A5-4D77-9C2F-B3BA18E88E22.png

 

72AFF5B7-352E-4887-8191-B544E6123CBF.png

5A15EF56-FC47-4862-B201-01BBC719F4C6.png

118BEFA4-2030-4CFA-9B15-6DEF30B207C1.jpeg

816BEED8-86E6-440B-95CF-56EB86861366.png

Some seriously good speakers there (I am at the opposite end of the SGR spectrum with semi-retired CX3B). Any speaker that requires a team to reassemble them is a speaker I want.

 

I know the pain of ‘mishaps’ myself - one evening while somewhat socially excited, I decided to see just how much grunt my amplifier had - I can now confirm, enough grunt to make Messrs Bowers and Wilkins wish I would not buy their products again......

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great news, Joe! Looking forward to being able to get down to Melbourne for a listen the next time a show can be held!

Edited by Doppelganger
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, joz said:

So it may be time for a gtg me thinks.

I would happily drive down from Canberra to hear those speakers.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Doppelganger said:

Great news, Joe! Looking forward to being able to get down to Melbourne for the listen the next time a show can be held!


Yep it’s been a while since our last catch up ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/03/2021 at 12:16 PM, joz said:

Yea! gently?

Sooooo long, 2020 the year that kept giving.

Stuart and the guys were great, the install is so much more than unpacking a box and placing them insitu.

great to see these come back together again for you. no doubt 2020 will remain best forgotten ! great that get to finally enjoy these and the full system back together again :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2021 at 10:43 AM, joz said:

With room gain and a gentle boost by me? the bass is certainly not rolling off like in the near field graph. 

 

I was wondering about that. Are there any room measurements from the main seating position to share?

Link to comment
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Satanica said:

 

I was wondering about that. Are there any room measurements from the main seating position to share?


Joz’s house, or the neighbours?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5626BE4B-B2E6-4735-B90E-B450905651EB.jpeg

 

Tell him in the future to not t look so worried.

 

 

Smile.   Living My Dream- Becoming A Vet: Cow Power!

 

 

It'll all come out in the end.

Edited by Luc
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Satanica said:

 

I was wondering about that. Are there any room measurements from the main seating position to share?


stuart is coming back, I may be able to convince him to re measure from the listening position then.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, joz said:


stuart is coming back, I may be able to convince him to re measure from the listening position then.

It always pays to buy local..?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting comments about the Martin Logan Monolith. Having loved the CLS (with sub) driven by VTL tubes, I couldn't get the Monoliths I upgraded to to dance--especially at higher volumes (driven by Classe 25). The sound always felt lacklustre. Possibly distorted somewhat. I was disappointed but this also triggered my journey towards SET amps as I then went 'small scale' in my quest for tonal purity. Shenzen Labs VAL 211 monos driving Artemis EOS 2-way speakers: bliss for a decade.

 

Just my 2c worth

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...
To Top