R.I.P. Michael Gudinski

12 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Mushroom Founder Michael Gudinski dead at 68.  

https://www.theage.com.au/culture/music/australian-music-industry-icon-michael-gudinski-dies-aged-68-20210302-p5770i.html

Very sad news, way too young too.

Yes a Pioneer and giant of the music industry, very sad day indeed. ?

• Like 1

• Administrator

Damn!

Aside from his contributions to the Australian music industry, and a lot to be celebrated, this story is a little closer to home.

Two years ago, late into the day on Sunday afternoon, a gentlemen entered our hi-fi show wearing non-descript shorts and a basic Tee. Certainly not dressed for any sort of occasion, he was taking much interest in the exhibits, asking many questions and clearly knew a thing or two about music and hi-fi. As he traversed the corridors he left an impression on many exhibitors, none of them aware it was Michael Gudinski. 

The story goes that at approximately 10 minutes before close, he bought an entire room/exhibit. I never did confirm this story as true, nor can I now even remember which exhibitor it was, but I have every reason to believe it took place.

He was in and out in no time at all and it was almost as if knew what he was looking/listening for. Certainly no tyre-kicker!

I believe he resided fairly local to the show location.

• Like 7

So sad to have just seen this on Nine MSN too -

as  a Kylie fan and also a Madonna one -

he brought Madonna to Australia in 1993 - "The Girlie Show" and that was one of the biggest highlights of my life -

He did wonderful things for Aussie music as well as international tours and it will leave a huge hole .................?

• Like 4

Vale Michael.....what a huge shock this is. A giant loss to the Oz music industry.

There are certain things and people in life that you grow up with and you just believe they will always be there like a permanent towering figure.....and when they go, they leave a hole that can never be filled.  He will be missed. :heart:

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

Use to stone out listening to Ayers Rock and in one of their songs they would talk about a Gudinski Burger. Older members may well remember it.  @ZEN MISTER  you would Billy.

Stood next to Mr. G. at the final shows at The Reefer Cabaret ( as recorded on the double album A-REEFER-DERCI) for a few minutes. I did not speak to him. Too much in awe, but marvelled that the bands playing those shows, were there because Mr. G.  took a chance on local artists. From memory, Skyhooks ( all dressed in black), Split Enz ( arriving on stage behind a scrim, strobe lights and a tableau from a James Whale classic), Ayers Rock, and Renee Geyer ( with Mick Rogers on guitar) and all the herbal essence floating thru the air you could manage.

( for youngsters, The Reefer Cabarets’ were essentially the Aussie equivalent of The Filmore in San Francisco. Held in the excellent Ormond Hall in Commercial Road, all local bands, and the Boys in Blue turned a blind eye to the dope smoking because it was so peaceful.)

Lucius,  @Luc,you were there also if I recall correctly.

Kudos and respect to Mr. Gudinski, father of Melbourne rock, and inspiration for the legendary ‘ Gudinski -burger.

Billy.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ZEN MISTER said:

Lucius,  @Luc,you were there also if I recall correctly.

Yup I was. Hash oil tipped ciggies saved the hassles of rolling your own. Boy, couldn't Renee belt out a song.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1