Currently Spinning

31 minutes ago, candyflip said:

The only one of their's so far I'm *not* getting into....

Yes I feel it is a little uneven. A few stand outs (Swimming with the Crocodiles; the reimagined Iodine and Iron; In The Blood; I quite like Low Lays The Devil though production values seem to have pushed their way to the front to make themselves central). Swimming with the Crocodiles notably made it to the setlists of his solo excursions in Sydney (The Newsagency and The Lansdowne). So did Axolotl - just him and a piano, and an amazing experience in intense expression.

It may just be me, but the album feels it has the fingerprints of "trying something different" in the productionj of the songs.  Which I like and respect in the artist's creative process. Given Andrew's recent solo ventures maybe a period of recalibration to find a newness in his music? It feels more bundled together than threaded.  

At least there are the consistent themes of good and evil, heaven and hell, tempation and weakness, vulnerability and selfishness.  And a bit of a tendency to lean on the wavering character of his voice a little too much in some songs?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Dilettanteque said:

Yes I feel it is a little uneven. A few stand outs (Swimming with the Crocodiles; the reimagined Iodine and Iron; In The Blood; I quite like Low Lays The Devil though production values seem to have pushed their way to the front to make themselves central). Swimming with the Crocodiles notably made it to the setlists of his solo excursions in Sydney (The Newsagency and The Lansdowne). So did Axolotl - just him and a piano, and an amazing experience in intense expression.

It may just be me, but the album feels it has the fingerprints of "trying something different" in the productionj of the songs.  Which I like and respect in the artist's creative process. Given Andrew's recent solo ventures maybe a period of recalibration to find a newness in his music? It feels more bundled together than threaded.  

At least there are the consistent themes of good and evil, heaven and hell, tempation and weakness, vulnerability and selfishness.  And a bit of a tendency to lean on the wavering character of his voice a little too much in some songs?

Yeah, I think that's what I picked up on most too.
Love his solo album.  ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Angus And Julia Stone ‎– A Book Like This - 2019 vinyl release.  did not even realise this had been released on vinyl. :thumb:

zb5MV53.jpg

that arrived quick.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

...  I don't know, I don't always trust reviews.  This sounds pretty good to me. 

I'm concerned about what this may indicate with my system.  Roger Waters etc all sound great.

Maybe they were not reviewing the vinyl...  I don't know.

Yeah I would never go 'hi fi' again, I have spent a lot of money to make a system that makes average recordings sound good when a big Sansui system would have done the same thing for one tenth the bucks :D 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Sounds excellent. I have a 1972 US pressing ( not original) and its better than that. 

Ain't ever going to be audiophile, but this is very enjoyable.

Thanks Shane, I'm yet to hear a good sounding Stones album

• Like 1

CB2E9E2F-6095-4B48-AFD8-A7BC36F6F040.jpeg.e4b46bb3270a7b9ce6174d979917f988.jpeg

so I’m listening to Mogwai in the headphones and it’s a particularly coarse, noisy bit and there’s a sound that sounds like a small kid screaming and I’m absently thinking wow that’s a bit much even for Mogwai and my daughter runs in the room and I take my headphones of and the screaming continues and she’s yelling that my son has cut his finger off with scissors and he hasn’t but he has cut his finger and that’s how my night is going

• Like 1
  • Haha 2