Currently Spinning

Evening Lads.

A work wash out today, time to pump a few CD's picked up for $1 a pop from Op Shops... all in near new condition - lovely...

Everything but the Girl  'Walking Wounded'  1996 Virgin Records Ltd. Sony Music. Made in E.U.

290313406_EverythingbuttheGirlWalkingWounded1996VirginRecordsLtd.SonyMusic.MadeinE.U.x800-Copy.jpg.e2c57fdc81f18796aec9f84dc2fb5771.jpg

I have two EBTG records, but this was my first listen to this album, although I have heard some tracks remixed on CD singles - very nice.

Empire of the Sun  'Walking on a Dream'  2018 The Sleepy Jackson Pty Ltd and Nick Littlemore. EMI Music, Aust.

568638710_EmpireoftheSunWalkingonaDream2018TheSleepyJacksonPtyLtdandNickLittlemore.EMIMusicAust_x700.jpg.da4543b90936ddfbaaf617e374f8e128.jpg

The Presets  'Apocalypso'  2008 Modular Recordings, Aust.

691213804_ThePresetsApocalypso2008ModularRecordingsAust_x700.jpg.96954b410745807c9123e21c449dfb81.jpg

My first listen to this one too.  Up beat with a little punk edge.

Then onto some of my older CD's...

Pound System  'You Know it Makes Sense'  2001 Mushroom Records Int. DanceNet, Aust.

1438720027_PoundSystemYouKnowitMakesSense2001MushroomRecordsInt.DanceNetAust_x700.jpg.71e0c025bcb6d6c47b6f92e036d8e210.jpg

Another fine Aussie outfit.

'Way Out West'  Self Titled  1997 Deconstruction Records, UK. Made in Aust.

1705163306_WayOutWestSelfTitled1997DeconstructionRecordsUK.MadeinAust_x700.jpg.8290a7c6e0dcfe2363244c9412c2bbff.jpg

A brilliant album and production for this duo.

X-Press 2  'Muzikizum'  2002 Skint Records, UK. Sony Music, Aust.

205122449_X-Press2Muzikizum2002SkintRecordsUK.SonyMusicAust_x700.jpg.47c17e3c63e10e2a800d12d7b6a18dc0.jpg

One of my favourite deep house albums, another one with great production.  'Lazy' with David Byrne is a classic, and the heavier 'Smoke Machine' really hits the spot.

I took the opportunity with the rain and weekday to pump them up a bit, sure had the ol' shed rattling.

Edited by BuzzzFuzzz
  • Like 3

On 25/03/2019 at 7:31 PM, awayward said:

Have you heard his 2018 release Raise Vibration, I rate it, very enjoyable.

well I had a listen, liked what I heard and here it is :thumb:     sounds excellent - mastered by Burnie Grundman.  thanks dude

ldXWKLK.jpg

• Like 2

Last weekend's plays...

Valerie June -  Pushin' Against A Stone (OG) - fantastic album, produced and co-written by The Black Keys' Dan Auerbach, and really bringing Valerie's beautiful singing and playing to the forefront. Is it blues, soul, country, string-band folk, gospel, girl group doo-wop, or bluegrass?  All of these, is the answer, and a lot more. But crucially, never too much of any one, that it overpowers and pigeon-holes her. An easy, engaging, and soothing listen.

Acceptance - Colliding By Design (maroon coloured vinyl) - a terrific little post-pop album from the 'second-timer' US indie-rockers. Great songs, spoiled here by a cloaked vinyl master/vinyl press. Sounds perfectly wonderful on digital. 

Simply Red - Stars (25th Anniv repress) - wonderful sound on this remaster, and one of those rare examples where the re-do is a level above the original 90's European press. Just as well, because the latter is damn hard to find in the Southern hemisphere.

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (2LP repress) - these represses are all amazing. Big triple thick bound gatefold, shimmering foiled covers, heavy gauge vinyl that are silent in the black and rich in the grooves. A pleasure to own and play, time after time.

Temple of The Dog - ST (1991 European OG) - it's not a perfect album by any stretch. As an offshoot project however, it has a steely sure-footedness that perhaps only guys with the combined talent of Soundgraden's Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron, and Pearls Jam's Msrs. Gossard, Ament and Vedder, could possibly deliver. At times ('Say Hello To Heaven', 'Call Me A Dog') it is sublime, not least because of Cornell's remarkable voice that really could sing anything it liked.

Alice in Chains - Jar of Flies/SAP (MOV dbl repress) - what a sweet way to start Sunday mornings, with these back to back wonders. They do the softer stuff so well. Another old reliable friend.

Mastodon - Emperor Of Sand (Ltd Pink double) - an incredibly 'up' album from the band, considering it concentrates solely on cancer. Probably my favourite too.

Foo Fighters - Sonic Highways (OG) - a concept album of sorts, but it really is best to approach this music with absolutely NO back story, knowledge of the recording process, or preconceptions in your head. That allows you to assess based just on the overall feel of the songs, which are nowhere near as bad as the critical Press insisted on it's release. As Grohl gets older, and more jaded with the industry, he seems desperate to experiment and toy with existing formulas, which is admirable. But this band are still most effective when in straight-ahead, not thinking too much rock mode. Most of this album gets that right. Unlike the follow-up, which is annoyingly redundant and even more patchy.

IMG_9735.jpg

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, metal beat said:

well I had a listen, liked what I heard and here it is :thumb:     sounds excellent - mastered by Burnie Grundman.  thanks dude

ldXWKLK.jpg

You’re welcome, you don’t muck around, I think I’ll get it on vinyl also.

2 hours ago, BuzzzFuzzz said:

Evening Lads.

A work wash out today, time to pump a few CD's picked up for $1 a pop from Op Shops... all in near new condition - lovely...

Everything but the Girl  'Walking Wounded'  1996 Virgin Records Ltd. Sony Music. Made in E.U.

290313406_EverythingbuttheGirlWalkingWounded1996VirginRecordsLtd.SonyMusic.MadeinE.U.x800-Copy.jpg.e2c57fdc81f18796aec9f84dc2fb5771.jpg

I have two EBTG records, but this was my first listen to this album, although I have heard some tracks remixed on CD singles - very nice.

Empire of the Sun  'Walking on a Dream'  2018 The Sleepy Jackson Pty Ltd and Nick Littlemore. EMI Music, Aust.

568638710_EmpireoftheSunWalkingonaDream2018TheSleepyJacksonPtyLtdandNickLittlemore.EMIMusicAust_x700.jpg.da4543b90936ddfbaaf617e374f8e128.jpg

The Presets  'Apocalypso'  2008 Modular Recordings, Aust.

691213804_ThePresetsApocalypso2008ModularRecordingsAust_x700.jpg.96954b410745807c9123e21c449dfb81.jpg

My first listen to this one too.  Up beat with a little punk edge.

Then onto some of my older CD's...

Pound System  'You Know it Makes Sense'  2001 Mushroom Records Int. DanceNet, Aust.

1438720027_PoundSystemYouKnowitMakesSense2001MushroomRecordsInt.DanceNetAust_x700.jpg.71e0c025bcb6d6c47b6f92e036d8e210.jpg

Another fine Aussie outfit.

'Way Out West'  Self Titled  1997 Deconstruction Records, UK. Made in Aust.

1705163306_WayOutWestSelfTitled1997DeconstructionRecordsUK.MadeinAust_x700.jpg.8290a7c6e0dcfe2363244c9412c2bbff.jpg

A brilliant album and production for this duo.

X-Press 2  'Muzikizum'  2002 Skint Records, UK. Sony Music, Aust.

205122449_X-Press2Muzikizum2002SkintRecordsUK.SonyMusicAust_x700.jpg.47c17e3c63e10e2a800d12d7b6a18dc0.jpg

One of my favourite deep house albums, another one with great production.  'Lazy' with David Byrne is a classic, and the heavier 'Smoke Machine' really hits the spot.

I took the opportunity with the rain and weekday to pump them up a bit, sure had the ol' shed rattling.

Truly excellent op shops up your way Ant.....?

• Like 1

A natural follow up, even though it came before.....? Tubeway Army "Replicas" Oz 1st pressing. I prefer this album over 'TPP' for the presence of guitars....oh and better songs.?

Image result for replicas gary numan

?Fun fact: The Australian LP release of this album was mastered locally by a guy named Tony Taurins. Discogs has him listed as mastering 15 albums, some very interesting (incl. Kansas 'Point Of Know Return', which I have as well...and big props to Tony for INXS 'The Swing', which has kickarse sound on the Oz release) but there may be more as 'Replicas' isn't in that list despite having him listed as 'mastered by' on the 'Replicas' Aust, release page, or rather his symbol, a triangle, which when pressed on, leads to Tony Taurins. I must say, he did a fine job on 'Replicas', it really does sound excellent!?

His story is interesting.....

" Australian mastering / vinyl cutting engineer.
Tony Taurins immigrated to Australia from Latvia in the early 50's and first worked on the Snowy Mountains Scheme driving a bull-dozer.
Sometime in the 60's he joined the Australian Record Company Limited (from 1973 CBS Records Australia Limited) and worked in the CBS Records, Artarmon vinyl plant. He started as their boiler operator and then moved through operating the presses, working in the galvanic section and finally cutting records in the mastering section. He was responsible for the number one cutting room which ran a Westrex 3D solid state driven cutter.
The Artarmon vinyl production plant closed its doors on the 28th of June 1991, followed early 1993 by the mastering services. Apparently Taurins gave up mastering too, and became the boiler operator at Sydney's North Shore Hospital."

A small but worthy contribution to the Oz music scene.....?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 5

52 minutes ago, awayward said:

Lucky we didn’t have a bet, I think I might have, I prefer the Wild America album though ?

Yeah a lot of these late 80s hard rock bands had great 2nd albums in the early 90s when grunge started