Who is telling fibs? :-) Mixed messages

I have been swapping some interesting emails of late between a Digital Download site and a Record Company.

I will keep them nameless.  I found it all rather amusing because, as I said to both Companies, all I want to do is spend my money and you aren't helping the cause.

I was search for some CD's that the Digital Download site didn't appear to have.    They had plenty of other Artists from the same Record Company, so I emailed the Record Company first, asking why the Download site didn't carry a far great portion of their range i.e. perhaps their last 2 years of output?

The Record Company response - (I paraphrase)  It is the decision of the Downloading site as to which of our CD's they carry.

So I sent an email to the Download Site asking why they didn't carry a larger range of the Record Companies product i.e. their more current stuff.   I asked if it was a storage cost issue.,

Download site response -  (I paraphrase) We can only sell what the Record Company sends us to sell.   No it is not a storage cost issue.

Hmmmmm I thought.  So who is fibbing here.    "It's not me, it's him".  

I bundled up both responses into one email and sent it to both staff members that had sent me their replies.   In a nice way I basically asking WTF?     I said I don't want to start are war, I just want to spend my money, and you are both missing out on sales for apparently no good reason

I got a reply from one of the staff members.  ?

Please kindly refrain from forwarding xxxxxxx customer support responses on correspondence with xxxxxxx. There is a chain of command and the distribution and ingestion process is complicated. Those with whom you are corresponding (including myself) likely do not have the complete information. I am awaiting an official answer.

Somewhere a business plan is flawed.    I consider both Companies very reputable.   I have happily dealt with them in the past and hope to in the future.   

Strange about the mixed messages.    Hopefully my emails might spark some discussion at both companies.      Buying a hardcopy version of the CD's I am after is simply not worth it due to Shipping and exchange rate costs.   Download cost is like buying it from JB HiFi.

Just some ramblings from being in Lockdown mode.    Boredom is the enemy of the mind ?

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

what cds you chasing cazzeman ? possibly someone has them collecting dust and let you have a for a couple bucks each :D 

put you out of misery and you can continue to have fun as spectator as the game plays out ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest deanB

Both companies are responsible for causing a breakdown in the symbiosis of the two most important parties- the artist and their paying public.

I've been through a very similar experience with a digital download music site and a record company.

At each stage I've asked for an issue with a download to be addressed, after months it was finally resolved by the record company.

At each stage I asked for the ability to purchase another significant album by the same artist, at each stage the request was completely ignored.

It took multiple attempts by multiple means to get a response from the record company, they just ignore communication or only check email and messages after months.

It's like their traditional model of control and physical sales fell apart and they're doing their utmost to stop electronic sales and distribution working.

This is why I love Bandcamp, great buying and library experience, responsive attitudes, communicating with the band (or a close representative). Always good quality files in useful formats, good album art.

The whole experience is consistent and pleasing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, cazzesman said:

I have been swapping some interesting emails of late between a Digital Download site and a Record Company.

... between their drones who seem to have admitted they just made up a "don't blame us" answer for you.   ?

I won't put any weight on their response.... or necessarily the "official answer", if you ever get one.

It is likely a blend of both answers.   Yes, it is up to the download company what they license.... however the terms provided by the content owners are likely prohibitive for something which isn't popular.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pwstereo said:

This is why I love Bandcamp, great buying and library experience, responsive attitudes, communicating with the band (or a close representative). Always good quality files in useful formats, good album art.

The whole experience is consistent and pleasing.

Thanks PW.  I will say Bandcamp was not the Site in question.   Alas Bandcamp does not have what I was after.    I have been sending many emails direct to the Artist asking them to consider using Bandcamp in this day and age.     Sadly not many have taken up the suggestion.

The business model must be interesting i.e. the pros and cons of what to use, when to use and who to use.

For the Record company - I would love to know the expenses for the following - Get a Hardcopy CD with packaging out to the public vs Download (provided by their own Download facility) vs Provide the files to a 3rd part such as Bandcamp to sell.

Maybe with the hardcopy they get to top up the profit a few $ with the postage rates and exchange rates US $

Regards Cazzesman

Edited by cazzesman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/07/2020 at 2:21 PM, cazzesman said:

I will keep them nameless.  I found it all rather amusing because, as I said to both Companies, all I want to do is spend my money and you aren't helping the cause.

I was search for some CD's that the Digital Download site didn't appear to have.    They had plenty of other Artists from the same Record Company, so I emailed the Record Company first, asking why the Download site didn't carry a far great portion of their range i.e. perhaps their last 2 years of output?

The Record Company response - (I paraphrase)  It is the decision of the Downloading site as to which of our CD's they carry.

So I sent an email to the Download Site asking why they didn't carry a larger range of the Record Companies product i.e. their more current stuff.   I asked if it was a storage cost issue.,

Download site response -  (I paraphrase) We can only sell what the Record Company sends us to sell.   No it is not a storage cost issue.

Hmmmmm I thought.  So who is fibbing here.    "It's not me, it's him".  

I bundled up both responses into one email and sent it to both staff members that had sent me their replies.   In a nice way I basically asking WTF?     I said I don't want to start are war, I just want to spend my money, and you are both missing out on sales for apparently no good reason

I got a reply from one of the staff members.  ?

Please kindly refrain from forwarding xxxxxxx customer support responses on correspondence with xxxxxxx. There is a chain of command and the distribution and ingestion process is complicated. Those with whom you are corresponding (including myself) likely do not have the complete information. I am awaiting an official answer.

Somewhere a business plan is flawed.    I consider both Companies very reputable.   I have happily dealt with them in the past and hope to in the future.   

Strange about the mixed messages.    Hopefully my emails might spark some discussion at both companies.      Buying a hardcopy version of the CD's I am after is simply not worth it due to Shipping and exchange rate costs.   Download cost is like buying it from JB HiFi.

Just some ramblings from being in Lockdown mode.    Boredom is the enemy of the mind ?

Regards Cazzesman

For a bit more fun why don't you forward all the responses to the artist? 

• Administrator
On 19/07/2020 at 7:46 PM, DrSK said:

For a bit more fun why don't you forward all the responses to the artist? 

Dammit ... I was scrolling down to say just that. You beat me to it!

• Haha 1

Sounds like Corporate 101 - if you can bull shite someone without actually answering a direct question - continue to do so.

sad but true.

in the past month< i had to send multiple emails to multiple people in a larger corporate record company complaining about the absolute crap pressing of a particular reissue.  to their credit, they finally answered - see below  - I am pretty happy actually with the result - hopefully they are not bull shitting.

Hello Shane – thanks for your patience on this matter. Your business, and support of the vinyl format, is appreciated.

XXXXXX" is a very quiet program, with extended periods of silence and long-held piano notes. A recording of this nature allows any flaws in the pressing to come to the forefront. This is not an excuse for a bad pressing, but it is a reality of the format.

With that said, we have arranged with the pressing plant for a limited, re-run of “XXXXXX"  using newly created metal parts. It is from this limited run that we will supply you with your replacement copy. It will be on XXXXXX vinyl, with the appropriate LP labels, but will be only the LP in a generic dust sleeve (no replacement jacket, or other print components).  

Working out the scheduling of this run with the plant, so delivery date to you is not confirmed, and likely still a few weeks away. The goal is that it will be an improvement over the pressing you currently have, and hopefully that makes it worth the wait.

I will be in touch with you about when I have more concrete information to share on “XXXXXXXX”.

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 6

On 18/07/2020 at 2:21 PM, cazzesman said:

II bundled up both responses into one email and sent it to both staff members that had sent me their replies.   In a nice way I basically asking WTF?     I said I don't want to start are war, I just want to spend my money, and you are both missing out on sales for apparently no good reason

You sir, are my new online hero.

Nice work.  :) 

F&CK 'em.
Let them bleed.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bisguittin said:

All power to you Shane. Gotta say I'm gob-smacked!! I never thought such a corporate answer was even possible.

me too.   to commit to a new small production run from new metal stamper shows that they must have reviewed and realised MPO had screwed up big time.

There are a few guys on Steve Hoffman forum that show the same level of enthusiasm and commitment to quality production that I do and they provided some of the help on who to contact etc.

cheers

• Like 2

Wow.  Sounds like you are well on your way to teaching them Customer Service 101.

I had a similar situation - and thankfully a much more fulfilling outcome.

There was a particular 'improvisation' album from a guitarist I loved, but it disappeared from my streaming platform about a year ago, never to return.  So I went looking on line for it a month or so back and found the artists website with the album for $10 as download.  I went ahead to order it, but the site insisted on adding $15 postage even though it was a download.  Not a huge amount of money so I paid up including postage.

Next morning I woke to an email from the guitarist himself apologising for the site's behaviour, refunding me the postage, and with the album attached!!  We had a good chuckle over a few emails. 

That is how things should work!

Gibbo

Edited by gibbo9000

Hello followers to this thread and thanks for your involvement..................................

I have some terrific news.      A win is a win is a win is a win !!!!!!!!!

???????

I received the following email this morning from the Music Company.   To say I was blown away was an understatement.

Hi xxxx,

Thanks for your tenacity on this matter. This led to some productive conversations with our distributor and we are currently having our releases from the past three years delivered to xxxxxx. I'm not sure exactly how long it will take for then to be ingested as it is quite a few. 

Moving forward, we believe we have solved to make sure all releases are delivered to xxxxx.

Thanks again for your enthusiasm on the matter! 

Best,

Apparently if you don't ask you don't get ?

Once I have been updated the process has gone ahead, I will 'Unmask the Singer.' as it were, so those interested in the music can take a look.

Regards Cazzesman

• Like 8
  • Love 1

This piqued a pet hate of mine. All these small businesses have websites/Facebook pages etc with Contact Us, Instant Message. And none of them get back to you, none. Like why have a Contact Us page if no-one is monitoring it.

They advertise on FB mostly for god sake, yet don't answer FB Messenger requests for information. It happens, time after time. I get to the point where I see all the small business owners crying that they are going broke and people are not supporting them... and I just shake my head. Here I am, I want to give you my money, but want to ask one question first...

Examples are restaurants, service based companies, small boutique food places, small boutique bbq related places, any number of different ones.

Edited by Rockford
  • Like 1