20 minutes ago, evil c said:

The missus only knows or sees a fraction -   l should be divorced 6 times over by now! 😬

The real miracle is how you found anyone to marry you in the first place Clive!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

The real miracle is how you found anyone to marry you in the first place Clive!

My good looks and pleasant disposition ?  😬

Nowadays my devious concealment, down right lies, flattery, lot's of domestic chores and a beard to hide my ugliness! 😒

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, evil c said:

My good looks and pleasant disposition ?  😬

Nowadays my devious concealment, down right lies, flattery, lot's of domestic chores and a beard to hide my ugliness! 😒

Strewth Clive, I have witnessed your good looks and pleasant disposition, you must do an awful lot of chores and look like a member of ZZ Top!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ooogh said:

Strewth Clive, I have witnessed your good looks and pleasant disposition, you must do an awful lot of chores and look like a member of ZZ Top!

Hurtful hateful words, fortunately l'm used to being ridiculed ! 😒

Last time I looked, you were a dead ringer for a hirsute member of said band! 😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, evil c said:

Hurtful hateful words, fortunately l'm used to being ridiculed ! 😒

Last time I looked, you were a dead ringer for a hirsute member of said band! 😉

Very true old friend. I guess the only real difference is I do to hide my  super model good looks.  Fortunately the mask wearing caused by Covid  has helped me greatly to avoid the ever present glare of the paparazzi.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ooogh said:

Very true old friend. I guess the only real difference is I do to hide my  super model good looks.  Fortunately the mask wearing caused by Covid  has helped me greatly to avoid the ever present glare of the paparazzi.

You're just still sore about that Bryston 4B3 you sold me, there's still hope you'll get it back soon if she catches out half of my recent acquisitions!

I'll be dead from blunt force trauma, from her new cast iron frying pan ! 😂

So I can now reveal a recent pick up that has injected new life into my system. 

Having basically eschewed the long forgotten art of playing Cds last few years,  an Ayon 07S CD player popped up for sale that was irresistible to a big Ayon fan like myself. 

20220106_162910.thumb.jpg.0730d7797d4a522729abddec9648c94b.jpg

So I've been rediscovering my CD collection, and must say it is no contest between it and my Streaming in sound quality. 

Afraid the physical media just provides more in most aspects, and l was shocked how good the internal DAC is in the Ayon.

Inbuilt volume is handy too! 😊

The gap between digital and vinyl has never been so narrow.

• Like 11
  • Love 2

14 minutes ago, Ian McP said:

Love the inbuilt BBQ sytem under the Ayon!

The mighty Melody SP1 is merely being stored below, but is moved out in open air when I use it.  😊

11 minutes ago, frednork said:

it has dig in? usb? other?

Has Coaxial and USB inputs 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2022 at 9:21 PM, Ooogh said:

The fans are waiting with baited breath to witness your latest acquisition Clive. I have heard rumours of something very pretty sitting in the rack over at Evil Springs......

Blabber Mouth! 

I know who not to trust with a secret! 😂

TBH l didn't want to overwhelm my thread with recent acquisitions, so soon after the last one.

But a week can be a long time at evil springs, with major changes occurring- and hopefully in a positive way onward and upward!

Much like my last purchase, this one was also completely spontaneous and unplanned.

I like to think it employs some degree of insight, however it could also be categorised as reckless impetuousness tempered with a degree of blind dumb luck! 😬

Being the (prior),contented owner of the Conrad Johnson CT5 tube preamp and Bryston 4B3 Power amplifier combo - when a CJ ET 250S Hybrid power amp came up for sale it immediately drew my attention.

This was. from the same era and series as my CT5 , and looked very similar except for being effectively twice as high and heavy.

Subsequent searches for reviews and experiences by owners, revealed that indeed it was a perfect match with the CT5 and l just had to scratch that itch!

So earlier in the week, a delivery driver staggered to the door with a massive carton that felt full of lead!

As with my other CJ , beautifully packed and protected from damage if roughly handled!

After much effort, and grunting l managed to (just) squeeze it onto the rack immediately below my CJ Preamp.

Firing it up it appeared to be dead!!

Glance on the back of the amplifier revealed it was switched to trigger, so switch flicked it sprung to life.

Straight away it revealed a smooth, warm and deep soundstage while still revealing a real sparkle, and highly revealing reproduction of the studio recording .

After a few more days it only got better and it looks like my gamble has paid off in spades!

IMG_3140.thumb.JPG.189fa7759d43cd126f0a21c1211db4c9.JPG 

With my Hulgich Astor speakers at 86dB efficiency lapping up all the power they can get, l was a tad concerned that the rated 250W /channel would be sufficient.

But rated at 4 Ohms the CJ ET-250S is providing a very respectable 400W / channel and volume level set on my preamp if anything was set same or even slightly less - so plenty of gain to work with!

The ET stands for "Enhanced Triode and is zero negative feedback in design.

IMG_3142.thumb.JPG.27fad38736c096c3c8fbb648023ead9d.JPG

So yet again, l find myself in the enviable situation of rediscovering all my music all over again.

Don't think for a minute that the Bryston 4B3 power amp is any lesser an amplifier than before - as it has seen off some very big names in Audio.

However with the matching CT5 preamp, the ET -250S is indeed a match in audio heaven!! 😁

• Like 19
  • Love 6

27 minutes ago, todagt said:

Nice acquisition!

Now, if you don't mind I'll invite myself over, I'm sure you'll have a lovely lunch prepared 😉

Splutter, this from the man with the self respect of a slovenly audiophile! 🙄

There l was sent off innocently by Mrs evil, ("that Todagt Ewan is such a lovely young man, why don't you know more like him?") yesterday for " a lunch GTG " at his house - only to be fed packet  potato chips !

He did give me two flavors mind, l was pretty peckish after all! 😒

It will take a shouted 9 course degustation to appease me now LOL . 😂

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, todagt said:

Here's the first 7 courses896090494_images(2).jpeg.602a7bd1a7c8e85a141117e201141956.jpeg

Sure that can be for the neglectful guests, (ahem you),

Next two courses, S u p r e m e

S e a f o o d  P l a t t e r  from image.thumb.png.9ee3b00e9dde8ab46774c41c201c6d2d.png

and 2nd  course 

Bottle of their Penfolds Bin 707 2008 for my good self! 😊

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, evil c said:

Straight away it revealed a smooth, warm and deep soundstage while still revealing a real sparkle, and highly revealing reproduction of the studio recording .

Thats a hard feat to pull off... kudos!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrBurns84 said:

Thats a hard feat to pull off... kudos!

I might have embellished it a little, however it is seriously a big improvement! 😉

I'll allow others to provide opinions after hearing it for themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Cardiiiii said:

Nice power amp. Still doesn't explain why the Lumin was up for sale. I suspect the power amp isn't the only addition??

It's complicated, all is not as it seems - well to me anyway!! 

Holds up mirrors pointed at mirrors! 😒

• Haha 1