I got robbed (burgled)

21 minutes ago, fish said:

40 years ago I had $6k of Hifi stolen.
Wharfedales, Linn Sondek, dynavector ruby etc etc.........
Claimed the lot on insurance. 5 years later went to visit an old ‘friend’ , only to find it all in his living room.

I was not impressed to say the least. When confronted he said ‘ I thought you knew’
WTF I said.
He then described a conversation we had where he asked how I would feel if the stuff was ever stolen. I replied along the lines of ‘it’s all insured and I bought it all wholesale, so I’d just get a better system with th insurance money. Apparently that was permission enough for him to knock off my prized possession.

He is dead now.......and no, it wasn’t me ?

With friends like that....

All I can say is good riddance to them !!

• Like 2

ALSO...A reminder to all to check your insurance is up to date as we all move things on or buy new gear and forget to update the insurance and these days its got to be recorded with exact serial numbers .

Please take pictures of all the hardware gear, cables  and vinyl / cds you own. Imagine saying to an insurance claim guy , hey I bought a $3000 pair of speaker cables on a thread on a website called SNA, no receipt no paperwork. At least are adverts stay up. Maybe a good reason to also keep the prices in the adverts for future reference , I know sometimes I remove and its bad practice.

• Like 3

Yeh, I just checked my router settings and both the computer and Samsung tablet(which I forgot to mention) mac I.p addresses were able to be seen.
So I am passing that on to police also.

As far as rare vinyls, I am tryinh to think. Mostly rare punk bands
Nofx surfer 7"
Nofx the p. M. R. C can suck on this 7"
Nofx **** the kids

I had a limited press boxset of a band called anberlin. The boxset is called help yourself.
Many more my head is just a mess today

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about this.

Contrary to others in the thread, I think that you have probably been the target of some random thieves, likely supporting a drug habit.

There is a good chance that your music will end up at a pawnbroker or second hand music store. That is where I would focus any effort if you.

I hope that you were adequately insured.

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear about your loss, I know the feeling and having our things stolen wasn't the worst thing, it was knowing someone came into our home and went through our things. Hope they get caught and you get your stuff back, this was most likely targeted as they knew what to take and where it was. Someone gave them the scoop of what you have.

6 minutes ago, anewmission said:

Yeh, I just checked my router settings and both the computer and Samsung tablet(which I forgot to mention) mac I.p addresses were able to be seen.
So I am passing that on to police also.

As far as rare vinyls, I am tryinh to think. Mostly rare punk bands
Nofx surfer 7"
Nofx the p. M. R. C can suck on this 7"
Nofx **** the kids

I had a limited press boxset of a band called anberlin. The boxset is called help yourself.
Many more my head is just a mess today

If you have a find me capability on any of the devices, turn it on now and provide the location to Police.

• Like 1

Damn that sucks! Mongrels! I feel for you. In fact it makes me sick thinking about it.

Alarm system (inside/windows/roof), inside /outside cameras, external sensor flood lights, a big American staffy and always someone house-sitting when I'm overseas. Can't do much more than that if they still break in.

Anyway, hope they get caught and things work out for you.

• Like 1

gosh this is terrible. what is sad indeed that yes often it is someone you know, especially seems quite targeted.

things like vinyl and CDs are a pita to sell. as goes with hifi these days... its a pretty limited market place (few outlets for sale) and not worth a lot in resale for likely hood of jail time if get caught. So unless plan to use themselves its not going to be a lot in selling.

i have some respect and faith in the police in these cases too... i as i have known folks to be burgled and stuff to be recovered and surprisingly quickly to... known suspects i guess. 

• Like 1

If you have a find me capability on any of the devices, turn it on now and provide the location to Police.
Not for this tablet, as both the tablet and pc were purchased for purely music streaming purposes. The tablet didn't even have a screen lock on it. I'm just happy that I literally only used it for controlling the pc and it didn't have any of my personal photos ect on it.
Yes it's definitely a feeling of being violated.
My guitars, microphones and recording equipment is all upstairs and still all there so I feel as though they didn't go upstairs.

It just sucks because as a musician I have never had much money and most things were bought second hand, and took me a while to save for. Apart from the bryston nothing was too expensive I suppose, well to me it was but I guess in general not too expensive
  • Like 2

Guest Muon N'
22 minutes ago, Telecine said:

Contrary to others in the thread, I think that you have probably been the target of some random thieves, likely supporting a drug habit.

Very unlikely random.

And the majority of addicts are not so organised, usually.... far from it.

6 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Very unlikely random.

I think that the statistics show that 90% of property offences, including Break and Enters, are drug related crime.

Edited by Telecine

I remember my parents house being burgled when I was a kid, about 25 years ago (I am 32 now).
It turned out to be some heroin junkies that lived around the corner. They took literally everything including one of the cars and it would have taken them quite a while.
Most things were returned after they were caught through a pawn shop.

I live in the southern suburbs of Sydney and have never in my life felt unsafe around the area, then again I can't imagine my friends would do this either. Or atleast I don't have any suspicions of who it could have been.
Sucks but I just need to figure out where to go from here and hopefully the police find them.

Guest Muon N'
1 minute ago, Telecine said:

I think that the statistics show that 90% of property offences, including Break and Enters, are drug related crime.

Do the thieves use drugs/alcohol? maybe very likely, but it appears targeted, likely criminal gang, small or larger.

Heh, statistics don't tell you everything.

4 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Very unlikely random.

I agree with this assessment.  My home got broken into a few ago by a ‘random’ burglar.  They didn’t touch the stereo at all but took the PlayStation, wii and games that were sitting right next to it.  They also ransacked main bedroom.  Police said that the majority of random burglaries like that are people with drug problems looking for cash, jewellery or other items that can be readily sold for cash.  While they might return a few months later, many do not even remember where they were because they were so high at the time.  This sounds very different to the Ops case.  Will keep an eye out for items above.  Hopefully you have a few serial numbers written down somewhere.  

1 minute ago, Muon N' said:

Do the thieves use drugs/alcohol? maybe very likely, but it appears targeted, likely criminal gang, small or larger.

Heh, statistics don't tell you everything.

Possibly. There is a 90% chance that it was random though.

1 hour ago, anewmission said:

I was out last night for dinner and when I got home my back door had been smashed up, someone/s had come in to my hifi room and stolen mostly everything.

Please if anyone see's any of this stuff (possibly bundled together on ebay, gumtree, Facebook marketplace or local hock shops) please send me a private message

What they stole:

Project carbon tt

PC in Silverstone case (pentium g620)

Schiit mani phono stage

My own DIY passive pre (will upload a photo of that)

Oppo udp105

Bryston 4bbst

Over 1000 cds

Over 500 vinyls

Pioneer kuro pdp 5090lx

Krix neuphonix mk 1

2 rel t/5i subwoofers

50ish blu rays.

Topping d50 dac

Most of this I have bought from gumtree or similar sites.

Any leads would be much appreciated.

The thing I am most upset about is the vinyls as everyone knows the effort we go to to collect and keep our collection in good shape.

I am in sydney so these would most likely be listed in Sydney.

Thankyou again.

Aah, that's tragic, anm.  :(

I am amazed they would've taken hundreds of CDs and 500 LPs.  That's quite a weight - to say nothing of the volume.  (Many trips to the get-away van!)

Hopefully, you have some insurance and your insurance co. will pay out.  (The latter can be very difficult, with certain insurance companies.  :()

Andy

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'
2 minutes ago, RussB said:

I agree with this assessment.  My home got broken into a few ago by a ‘random’ burglar.  They didn’t touch the stereo at all but took the PlayStation, wii and games that were sitting right next to it.  They also ransacked main bedroom.  Police said that the majority of random burglaries like that are people with drug problems looking for cash, jewellery or other items that can be readily sold for cash.  While they might return a few months later, many do not even remember where they were because they were so high at the time.  This sounds very different to the Ops case.  Will keep an eye out for items above.  Hopefully you have a few serial numbers written down somewhere.  

Very correct, those random opportunistic thefts make up a large part of the statistics Tele's mentioned.

Typical addicts target very easy and quick to exchange items.

1 minute ago, Telecine said:

Possibly. There is a 90% chance that it was random though.

It appears you are not very clued up on this area, which is a good thing really :)

1 hour ago, anewmission said:

handyman, though he is a friend of my mother's

Friend is irrelevant, so I’d be looking in that direction. 

Edited by Sime

Hope for the best but I wouldn't put any faith in police doing anything. 

When my motorbike was stolen from Wentworth Point in an underground carpark they didn't even come to collect the footage. Had the thieves on 6 different cameras from multiple buildings and Olympic Park road cams.

Unfortunately my area came under the wrong side of Parra rd being Auburn so they obviously had other priorities.

• Like 2

Guest Muon N'

Could be someone known to you (even if in passing), or known to someone you know.

Edit: all it can take is someone known to you, to mention this awesome sounding system in the wrong company.

Edited by Muon N'