I got robbed (burgled)

The police seemed to think some of these criminals are using the old phone books. Address and home phone number are right there.

That would explain the dropped phone calls I had been getting. I should have taken more notice of it.

Time to disconnect that. The only calls I get on the land line now is people pretending they are from Microsoft, Google and antivirus companies telling me I have to buy their software because I have 756 virus'

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Getting neighbours on side and watching is a good step. And let them know about your alarm. Also help them all to install theirs.   

Absolutely,

Even when friends around the area I live near including the old neighbourhood asked for assistance when they go on holidays, I have no hesitation helping out, clear the letter box,  water the plants and making the place look secure and occupied ...  I never enter the premises if the place looks secured and hasn’t been tampered with, that’s out of boundaries for me.   

Ive even heard that Solar Inverters get taken......  So if you are getting a string system,  install it in the garage or out of sight from the Main Street....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, anewmission said:

The police seemed to think some of these criminals are using the old phone books. Address and home phone number are right there.

That would explain the dropped phone calls I had been getting. I should have taken more notice of it.

Time to disconnect that. The only calls I get on the land line now is people pretending they are from Microsoft, Google and antivirus companies telling me I have to buy their software because I have 756 virus'

Since NBN we don’t have a land line.....

if you chose VOIP,  always have a silent number so it’s not shown in any phone directory.  Of memory that was a $2:50 surcharge.. in the old copper network.

Either way, if they come to your address, they still need to determined if someone’s home...   I’ve heard that if they don’t knock on the door then they turn the electricity or water off and see if it gets turned back on..  A hint to if you install PIR or cameras to also monitor these areas.....

Edited by Addicted to music
  • Like 1

Do you know your neighbours?  I worked with a guy who was robbed a couple of times, and then asked a particular set of neighbours to keep any eye on the place for them.  They also added a camera.

Then they got robbed again  - by THOSE NEIGHBOURS.  Cops got 'em due to the camera footage.  It was them all along.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, anm. I had the same thing happen to me about 20 years ago. Fortunately I had a new for old policy with CGU and they paid out handsomely. Stolen was 2×3 metres of Monster cable and an ancient Meridian pre-amp that I paid $75 for. You can imagine my surprise when I got a voucher from them for $3500.

Back to your situation and it seems odd that they took your cds if they were junkies. Because of their regular dealings with pawn shops they'd know they're only going to get 25-50 cents apiece for them. If they are in fact junkies and decide to sell them on ebay or gumtree, pay particular attention to the bulk buys section as selling them in dribs and drabs isn't going to service their needs. Good luck. 

On the subject of pawn shops,is it a requirement to produce photo id when selling stuff to them?

Edited by mrbuzzardstubble
  • Like 1

firstly sorry that sucks

Hmm, some of that stuff doesn’t seem worthwhile stealing.  ExampleReselling a pioneer plasma won’t net much.

a bit odd, almost like someone wanted to punish you.  Not saying the stuff doesn’t have value, just that the effort to load a plasma tv and then hock it may not be worth it

Edited by Demondes
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Demondes said:

Hmm, some of that stuff doesn’t seem worthwhile stealing.  ExampleReselling a pioneer plasma won’t net much.

a bit odd, almost like someone wanted to punish you.  Not saying the stuff doesn’t have value, just that the effort to load a plasma tv and then hock it may not be worth it

Not necessarily to hock it, they could be crooks setting up their own house.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demondes said:

If it comes out easy they'll take it..............even to use themselves.

It reminds me of when we got done over many years ago........................I threw a couple of guys I knew out of a party I was having (they weren't invited anyway and rolled up pissed and cranky).

Anyway, the next weekend when I was at rehearsal (it was easy to see when my car wasn't there) all the easy to hock stuff got stolen but I had all my music gear with me.

It was clearly them as they were known petty crims and we never saw them again.

Guest Muon N'
47 minutes ago, mrbuzzardstubble said:

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, anm. I had the same thing happen to me about 20 years ago. Fortunately I had a new for old policy with CGU and they paid out handsomely. Stolen was 2×3 metres of Monster cable and an ancient Meridian pre-amp that I paid $75 for. You can imagine my surprise when I got a voucher from them for $3500.

Back to your situation and it seems odd that they took your cds if they were junkies. Because off their regular dealings with pawn shops they'd know they're only going to get 25-50 cents apiece for them. If they are in fact junkies and decide to sell them on ebay or gumtree, pay particular attention to the bulk buys section as selling them in dribs and drabs isn't going to service their needs. Good luck. 

On the subject of pawn shops,is it a requirement to produce photo id when selling stuff to them?

Yup

Cashies doesn't even accept them anymore, at least I rarely see any for sale in there, and when they do they are like 50c or a buck each if very good..

Normally yes, ID is required.

Edited by Muon N'

On 03/11/2019 at 3:04 PM, Antipodean Brad said:

Do you know your neighbours?  I worked with a guy who was robbed a couple of times, and then asked a particular set of neighbours to keep any eye on the place for them.  They also added a camera.

Then they got robbed again  - by THOSE NEIGHBOURS.  Cops got 'em due to the camera footage.  It was them all along.

Crooks are dumb!

Also when I put my alarm in I put a dozen of these all around the house. Regardless of where they try to enter they will be hit by a sign. I’m hoping it is a deterrent. If not they have five seconds to find the hidden control centre, type in a code and dis-arm. In five seconds the informed neighbours know somethings not right. Not only that the alarm will drive everyone nuts inside and out of the house. Not to mention the flashing blue light at the front.

Also ours is on when we are in bed. It only covers main areas and entrances which none of have to access at night but must be accessed to get through the house during the day. As soon as there is a breaking it starts to beep loudly for five seconds before firing the big alarm. So once in the house they know it’s going off any second. A further deterrent. 

If any sensor is tampered with the alarm goes off straight away.  

0297755D-5B94-4500-825B-FBD5FC620A39.jpeg

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 3

Guest Muon N'

It's a double edged sword, if you look like you have a lot of value to protect it can make you a target, house proud and lots of security can make you are target more than the house with the unkempt yard and no security.

Or maybe you just attract a more professional type *shrug*

My once American neighbour had a sign on the front window of his house; “ This house is protected with a shot gun four days a week. Guess which days”.

The other he suggested was leave an old rocking chair at the front with half a dozen empty beer bottles, a hand full of empty bullet casings, a bear trap and a couple of copies of Jugs and Beaver. 

• Like 3

Guest Muon N'
4 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

My once American neighbour had a sign on the front window of his house; “ This house is protected with a shot gun four days a week. Guess which days”.

The other he suggested was leave an old rocking chair at the front with half a dozen empty beer bottles, a hand full of empty bullet casings, a bear trap and a couple of copies of Jugs and Beaver. 

xD

Comes home to a Bear in his Rocking Chair reading Jugs & Beaver.

Vintage-Japan-Tin-Rocking-Chair-Bear-Battery-Operated.jpg.c4081812ede4732fb5e0c903dc85df98.jpg

I knew someone that dressed a couple of mannequins and had them sitting at the kitchen table.

Guest jakeyb77

Shoot the intruder... step back one full step, shoot the roof. Your neighbours don’t know if the warning shot or kill shot came first ?

firstly sorry that sucks

Those pioneer plasmas can still fetch abit in good condition. I have seen them go for 600-800. Even still. And it was the last and best model
  • Like 1

I have not read the 6 pages of reply’s so apologies if this has been mentioned - I would walk the entire street and adjacent streets because a LOT of people including my self have street facing security cameras.

Go door knocking.

Thats a serious amount of gear, a van or Ute worth - not sedan, if you find camera footage from a neighbour with a large van leaving your street between the hours you were robbed, then start investigating from there.

Then the nearest local schools / shops and their cameras, follow the vehicles travel you would be very surprised what you could find using this method, police wont go that far on your behalf.

I would also strong suggest that this person was know to you, a friend of a friend....

Check FB Market Place - That is a haven for degenerates flogging off stolen products to other degenerates

Edited by L@mb
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about the break in. Can you tell what area your in? We could keep an eye out for you if they pop up on Gumtree, FB marketplace or ebay. 

Hopefully you don't get the runaround by the insurance company 

Edited by dolphy
Spelling

Sorry to hear about the bream in. Can you tell what area your in? We could keep an eye out for you if they pop up on Gumtree, FB marketplace or ebay. 
Hopefully you don't get the runaround by the insurance company 
Southern suburbs, between hurstville and sutherland

Sorry to hear your plight @anewmission. Been done over three times in my life and it isn't nice.

I have dealt with hundreds of burglaries early in my legal career (in another area for the last 20 years) and met many crims over that time. Drugs is almost always the motive.  In the early 90's CD's were like $5 notes laying about to them.

In your case I would be very surprised if this was not planned. The time to take what you have described is just not those type of peoples  way of going about it. They are in and out as quick as , let alone planning to take a vehicle just in case your place is a treasure trove.

Put me down for $20 on the tradie's mate's mate.

I have all my vinyl over-insured as one collection. That way I don't have to maintain a list. Maybe I should though...

Also, as we have security cameras, our power meter box has an approved padlock on it; so they can't turn the power off to disable the cameras.

This happened to someone local we know.

Terrible news. There are some very brazen crooks out there though. Years ago I had a brick thrown through my side window at 10 o'clock in the morning and the thief was standing on the other side of the road waiting for a taxi when my wife came home. She just didn't know it was him at the time.

The police said it was all money for drugs. Thankfully they didn't take much that time.

Good luck rebuilding the collection. Will certainly keep an eye out on gum tree and ebay for you.