Apple TV+ coming later this year...

"Introducing Apple TV+, a new streaming service where the most creative minds in TV and film tell the kinds of stories only they can. Featuring original shows and movies across every genre, exclusively on the Apple TV app...."

https://www.apple.com/au/apple-tv-plus/

is email I received, I know there was something in the news as well yesterday in announcements. was all a bit busy for things to take in, but looks like something to take netflix on head on. given hollywood 4k movies seem to be disappearing from netflix  I'd say netflix is likely going to have a problem with apple soon.

be interesting to see what comes about. pay per view ? subscription service ? rentals ? free ? not sure seen anything else to indicate what exactly is coming ? 

according to this article apple is not building a netflix killer its building something bigger ? 

https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/apple-s-not-building-a-netflix-killer-it-s-building-something-much-bigger-20190326-p517n4.html

"Apple is not so much building a Netflix killer,  as it is building an Amazon-style everything store of content for its 1.4 billion device users.  The more content its device users get through Apple, the more it makes in commissions. And the more likely those users are to stay locked into the iOS ecosystem and buy another Apple device, when the time comes.

As interesting as the new shows sound, they appear to be loss leaders designed primarily to get (or keep) Apple device customers using its "TV" app.  In turn, Apple is positioning the TV app to be a central, curated hub, the main portal through which users access video; some of it Apple's, most of it from other producers.~"

• Like 1

Yeah, it's app is the central hub  by Netflix won't be allowed.  It will be interesting to see how they go, they're obviously a massive company, but Netflix has a strong foot hold, and I know many people who are happy just with that.  Netflix won't be allowed on AppleTV+.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kaynin said:

2 hours ago, Kaynin said:

Yeah, it's app is the central hub  by Netflix won't be allowed.  It will be interesting to see how they go, they're obviously a massive company, but Netflix has a strong foot hold, and I know many people who are happy just with that.  Netflix won't be allowed on AppleTV+.

Actually it's the other way around, Netflix is welcome as are all providers that the whole point a one stop shop, they have declined as they dont agree with the fee that apple will take ( 305 first year and 15% after that)  -  time will tell.

The big threat to Netflix and the reason that 4k movies are disappearing is the merge of Fox and Disney - they will reales there own "Netflix killer" streaming service this year as well.

• Like 1

Who the heck is going to be joining up all sorts of streaming services. We have Netflix and amazon prime as is and don’t use either enough ! Can understand if apple provides done sort of hub if it brings all together ... can imagine if all join in and Netflix doesn’t they’ll loose big time !

If Apple are releasing it, it’s bound impact the hip pocket.

Remember when Apple was once the innovator and industry disrupter? Now they just seem to follow.

Will see if tv+ is a game changer or just a different flavour or what’s already out there.

Netflix is losing me though, hardly any big block buster movies make their way to my screen via Netflix! Some of the Netflix original content is good but most not worth watching.

Be interesting to see what happens with Apples offering, I'm all in Apple as far as devices and computers go but gee they have a habit of being very late to the party!

Maybe the Fox/Disney streaming will be the best for movies in Australia??

2 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Netflix is losing me though, hardly any big block buster movies make their way to my screen via Netflix! Some of the Netflix original content is good but most not worth watching.

Maybe the Fox/Disney streaming will be the best for movies in Australia??

One service in one app appeals ; indeed if the Fox/ Disney combined catalogue makes it to Stan who have the Disney contract it wont be at the apple pricing model thankfully ..

And being owned by channel 9 whats the chances they will acquiesce to the apple model and join ? B)

Apple will even have a news channel ; enough alternatives already I suspect these days..

Edited by cwt

The Apple TV remote app has been upgraded and has a new icon, that is probably what you are seeing. The Apple TV+ app probably won't be released until closer to launch date - probably the US launch not the Australian launch.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t see anything happening with the streaming services we currently have in Australia but I’m interested how they will offer their own content.  They might just need to sell their programmes like they already do with iTunes movies and tv shows.

In any case, how is this supposed to be a Netflix killer? Are they adding a catalogue of movies as well as their own content?

Edited by deviltoob
  • Like 1

On 17/04/2019 at 7:23 PM, deviltoob said:

I don’t see anything happening with the streaming services we currently have in Australia but I’m interested how they will offer their own content.  They might just need to sell their programmes like they already do with iTunes movies and tv shows.

In any case, how is this supposed to be a Netflix killer? Are they adding a catalogue of movies as well as their own content?

I have not obsessed over this like many others would have but my take is that apples big launch is more about selling Apple TV hardware than anything, that's effectively all they have to offer video streaming at this stage because they have been asleep at the wheel for years.

As far as unique content they are about 7 years behind netflix and a few years behind amazon so like thier music streaming it's just a sad afterthought because unfortunately now people don't spend $20 on a movie!

The way they beat Netflix is by having the hardware and dealing with every other streaming service to convince all of us plebs to sign up to multiple streaming services so thier tv app can be the shining light and bring it all into one place to showcase and enable search for all your streaming apps at the press of a button.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

whadya know ... got note below in an email. I have an apple music subscription (its a student one as studying a masters on the side). I guess I will have to explore ? presume nothing needed to enable it or register for it or anything ? 

You now have access to Apple TV+ for free*

Hi All,

On 02/11/2019 at 2:16 PM, Kaynin said:

Have they detailed what the * means?

The * means a 7 day trial then after that it is $US4.99 / month currently

Began watching 'For All Mankind', about the space race, with the initial twist being the Russians landing on the moon a fortnight prior to the Armstrong/Aldrin/Collins flight/landing.

Also watched the 3 eps available of The Morning Show with Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Aniston, looking at early morning TV shows. Both seem to have high production values.

As to the long term content and pricing, like all things from this company they may be of varying standards.

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 1

On 02/11/2019 at 2:16 PM, Kaynin said:

Have they detailed what the * means?

hi kaynin :) yes sure they do. free means free for students as long as keep the student apple music plan... see below all requirements... very generous for students I would suggest ! 

*Limited-time offer, offer may end at any time. Free Apple TV+ access for students ends when you no longer qualify or do not renew your Apple Music student plan. Offer good for verified university students only and does not extend to a Family Sharing group. 

**Apple TV+ is not available in all areas on Samsung Smart TVs and Roku and Amazon Fire TV streaming devices. Please see the manufacturer’s website for more availability details.

The all-new Apple TV app is available on iOS 12.3 or later, Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD with tvOS 12.3 or later, Apple TV (3rd generation) with Apple TV Software Update 7.3 or later, macOS Catalina or later, and on eligible smart TVs and streaming devices. 

Some content requires specific hardware or software. Internet access required; data fees may apply. Content prices and availability are subject to change.

I hit accept and got the note below confirming,

"You’ve purchased the following subscription with a 1‑year free trial:    
Subscription        Apple TV+
Date of Purchase        02 November 2019
Introductory Offer        Free for 1 year
Subscription Price        $7.99/month starting 02 November 2020

No commitment. Your subscription continues for $7.99/month starting 02 November 2020 until cancelled. To avoid being charged, you must cancel at least one day before each renewal date.    
To learn more or cancel, review your subscription.    
Regards,
The Apple TV Team"

• Like 1

Interestingly the “Masters of the air” that we were all hoping for to follow band and brothers and the pacific ... has finally found a home at apple+ with them backing Spielberg to come through ... 

was disappointing hbo never followed through on this, but looks like Spielberg believes apple+ is a more rightful place

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2019/10/masters-of-the-air-appletv-spielberg-1202180767/amp/

watching “the pacific” at the moment as happens on blu-ray ... not sure how far gone masters of the air was with hbo but imagine it will be some years in making and release ... can’t come soon enough for me :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, betty boop said:

Interestingly the “Masters of the air” that we were all hoping for to follow band and brothers and the pacific ... has finally found a home at apple+ with them backing Spielberg to come through ... 

was disappointing hbo never followed through on this, but looks like Spielberg believes apple+ is a more rightful place

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2019/10/masters-of-the-air-appletv-spielberg-1202180767/amp/

watching “the pacific” at the moment as happens on blu-ray ... not sure how far gone masters of the air was with hbo but imagine it will be some years in making and release ... can’t come soon enough for me :D

I recently watched Band of Brothers and The Pacific (and Generation Kill) and am keen on that Masters of the Air. The Pacific was just fantastic

I was also really waiting on that Hue 1968 series Michael Mann was doing - but that was FX so thanks to di$ney, probably kaput now.

I HATE it is appletv + though as it probalby means we'll never get an AV enthusiast level physical release of it

Edited by Mobe1969
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

I HATE it is appletv + though as it probalby means we'll never get an AV enthusiast level physical release of it

hmm you mean never on uhd ? for best bandwidth audio video ?  that would be a real shame and pity .....

ps it also does mean you have to keep your renewal up, ie cant just let it lapse, as unlike the disc cant just grab it any time to watch ! unfortunate part about streaming ! grrr ! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, betty boop said:

hmm you mean never on uhd ? for best bandwidth audio video ?  that would be a real shame and pity .....

ps it also does mean you have to keep your renewal up, ie cant just let it lapse, as unlike the disc cant just grab it any time to watch ! unfortunate part about streaming ! grrr ! 

I expect they would release it on itunes also, so you could buy it and then watch with just an apple account, not apple+ steaming account. Eg just in your library.  If I was going to see it on apple, and that was the only way I'd do that over a subscription.

I watch a LOT of movies and TV series. And 98% of it is on disc. I only watch streaming under duress... Other than that I do buy some TV series on itunes - ones I watch that don't get a blu ray release.

Edited by Mobe1969
  • Like 1

Reports are that AppleTV+ shows have the highest bitrate on any streaming service so far, 30mbs - the picture and Dolby Atmos do look and sound good respectively. 

Wife an I have enjoyed See and Morning Show -   so if they get enough content and it stays this quality could be a good addition

We got 12 months free as I just upgraded my phone, and apple hard ware purchase gets 12 months free.

Disney + launches Nov 19 - that will be interesting 

Remembering that you can turn all these streaming services on and off on a monthly basis at no penalty so having several options is not as bad as it looks, will probably turn off Amazon and Stan and try Apple + and Disney + for a while.

I am getting less and less happy with the quality of Netflix originals so will see what happens in that space

• Like 1

Binge watched the first three episodes of The Morning Wars. Really nicely made but the characters are so inconsistent, especially Witherspoon, Aniston and Carrell (very unrealistic, I think Carrell is not really a dramatic actor). Billy Crudup and that Duplass guy pretty much own whatever scene they are in though so they were parts I really liked. 

I'm really missing not being able to binge watch The Morning Show. Episode 4 won't be available until November 8 (probably November 9 here) and episode 5 won't be available until November 15.