Electronic currently spinning

On 30/08/2018 at 9:01 AM, scumbag said:

Actually this album is hilarious - https://janjelinek.bandcamp.com/album/zwischen - is it Art or comedy?

It's a weird album that one. Likely both as @Janjuc said. Now I'm going to have to check out that Jarmodular album but really don't want to spend any more on vinyl at the moment. Boomkat and Bandcamp are mainlining my bank account.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hired goon said:

a3715790211_16.jpg

Network 23 - Return To Berlin (Part Four) -- the latest release in this series, and it's beaut, with touches of 90s trance. "Name Yer Price" lossless download from Bandcamp.

--Geoff

Hi Geoff,

You're going to break me with all of your finds :thumb:

JJ

• Like 3

Hi All,

Another Bandcamp purchase, this time an LP with a Flac download,

Dream.jpg.8bde0c1429c4336dc1b8847995c7e102.jpg

From Boomkat.com

Jurriaan Andriessen's The Awakening Dream, originally released in 1977. Jurriaan Andriessen (1925-1996) was a Dutch composer. Although he was actually at home in classical music, he recorded three synthesizer albums in the late 1970s, the first of which, The Awakening Dream, is an outstanding excursion into experimental ambient and minimal music.

Andriessen himself, 52 years of age at the time, called it a "trance symphony". The music - perhaps surprisingly for a contemporary classical composer - is less in the tradition of his peers such as Pierre Boulez or Karlheinz Stockhausen and more in tune with the electronic sounds of the '70s emanating from Berlin, Düsseldorf, or Forst, the likes of Cluster, early Kraftwerk, and Tangerine Dream, in places echoing Conrad Schnitzler. Andriessen was familiar with the work of these artists, but was probably more influenced by minimalist composers like Philip Glass or synthesizer pioneer Walter Carlos whom he admired. The entire album is played on a Minimoog Model D, a Fender Rhodes piano, a Hohner Clavinet, and a Philicorda organ. It was recorded sound on sound, before the 8-track machine entered the studio, using two Revox A77 tape recorders.

Andriessen studied in Paris with Olivier Messiaen and in the USA with Serge Koussevitsky and Aaron Copland. Back in Holland he worked for radio, television and theatre. His compositions for state ceremonies such as the coronation of Queen Beatrix and the annual "Opening of Parliament" won him acclaim and he also wrote the music for the Oscar winning film The Assault (1986). Andriessen started to experiment with synthesizers on new compositions in the early 1970s. In 1973, he wrote music for Georg Büchner's play Leonce And Lena and performed it on the ARP 2500 synthesizer. Andriessen was more interested in the challenge of creating new, previously unheard sounds than he was in imitating existing instruments.

He strived to invent a novel, unique musical universe. Later he worked mainly with a Minimoog Model D, experimenting and recording in the Dream Studio, the home studio he built with his sons Gijs and Nils in The Hague. As a composer, Jurriaan was always ahead of his time. He loved research and enjoyed using uncommon or newly invented instruments in his compositions, often in unconventional formations. His last work, Jeux Des Vents, appeared in 1996. He died later the same year in The Hague.”

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 3

I posted this album a few days back, have added some info to the post. this is the best thing doing it for me omg

this track just about makes me weep with joy, the strings is like having pure Underground Resistance injected into the eyeballs

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/9/2018 at 9:08 AM, Benny G said:

I posted this album a few days back, have added some info to the post. this is the best thing doing it for me omg

this track just about makes me weep with joy, the strings is like having pure Underground Resistance injected into the eyeballs

nice track.

reminds me of some old luke slater/clementine stuff on djax

On 28/8/2018 at 7:11 PM, Benny G said:

Derek Carr - Contact [2018]

and the artwork is by Abdul Haqq, who has done artwork on tons of releases over the years, notably on a few UR records.

carr.jpg.c4b109440c4c1ea851bfcc5265292a30.jpg

yeah thought the artwork looked familiar/

abdul did all of the transmat graphics as well.

very nice, humble guy. 

Tresor release #303... it better be acid!

Donato Dozzy - Filo Loves the Acid [2018]

one of the bosses of modern techno, dozzy

In my old age I still don't mind a bit of hardness but some of this really pushes my tolerance level, it is absolutely banging.

dozzy.jpg

Edited by Benny G
  • Like 1

Paul St. Hilaire + Rauder - Derdeoc [2017] triple 12"

and remix ep's

Reconstructed I, II, III [2018]

these came to me this week in a couple of packages!

Been waiting to get them all together and play through.

Paul St. Hilaire of course the vocalist on a ton of Rhythm & Sound, Burial Mix etc projects.

This project is simply stunning, Sushitech records always putting out quality, beautifully presented and perfect pressing/SQ

If dub is your thing hit this up.

derdeoc.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Guys.  I've recently been hooked by Dark Synthwave.

Hollywood Burns  'Invaders'  2018 Blood Music.

1672027035_HollywoodBurnsInvaders2018BloodMusic.jpg.f208124bf84115541e8637b3d61d30d6.jpg

Review by David Rodriguez (itdjents.com)...

Hollywood Burns is being billed as one of the next big things in synth music. Label Blood Music, who at this point definitely know a thing or two about the genre, signed the artist because they saw something unique and special in his music that hadn’t yet graced our ears. And I’ll be damned if that isn’t at least mostly true. It’s hard to be fresh in a genre that already has a pretty distinct rulebook for how it should sound. Deviating and trying something new seems easy enough (just don’t follow the book, right?), but does it work in the end? It’s good that the guy behind Hollywood Burns, French producer Emeric Levardon, knows what he’s doing. His debut album Invaders sells the hype very well and he ushers himself in as a promising new artist for synth fanatics to gush over.

If I had to pick only one thing that truly sets Invaders apart from the pack, it’s the cinematic structure. Each song is a vast piece all its own. Thematically, the songs are all linked on the album which gives it cohesion, but each song is the soundtrack for a movie that doesn’t necessarily exist. It’s like listening to a seasoned composer’s collection of tracks that were written without the intent for them to score something specific, like John Carpenter‘s two Lost Themes albums.

Speaking of ‘The Master of Horror’, what distinguishes Invaders from the pack is its focus on soundtracking and capturing a specific science-fiction and camp horror film aesthetic with its sound. It’s more lighthearted than what an artist like GosT or Perturbator would attempt in the past or present. For instance, “Black Saucers” has a wonderfully playful bassline that just doesn’t quit. It’s all over the place and provides a deep, groovy rhythm that’s low key. “Came to Annihilate” has skittering synth rhythms that are bookended by eerie theremin measures. While theremin never oversaturate any one song’s mix, you’ll notice throughout listening to this album that it is most definitely one of the consistently standout elements. It’s used to great effect and really helps embody the cheesy sci-fi mood.

As such, there’s a great amount of melodrama, something synthwave always seems to capture well, but with Hollywood Burns‘ leanings it becomes something special. The vigorous and unapologetic orchestral intro track simultaneously captures Danny Elfman‘s quirky eccentricity and the grandiose theatrics of John Williams. In short: it’s beautiful. “Carnal Encounters of the Third Kind” is anticipatory and builds to an epic climax filled with buzzing synths and a powerful strings section. “Scherzo No. 5 in Death Minor”, one of the album’s very well picked singles, is a tour-de-force that really captures the essence of all that’s on display here on Invaders. The song is a stunning album synopsis action packed with synthisized arpeggios, mind-bending theremin leads and attention stealing orchestral flourishes. An ominous organ line at the end wraps the track up with a bow.

Levardon wasn’t content with just boldly being himself with the basis for his music on this album. He, too, finds places to experiment. “Bazaar of the Damned” has subtle West Asian rhythms and melodies, especially near the end. Not only do they bring much appreciated variance to the sound, but they imbue the track with different textures. I am reminded of the richness of Orphaned Land‘s profoundly cultured, earthy tones, the likes of which I gushed over in my review for their album earlier this year. “Survivors” is the sole track that features a singer (Florent Gerbault of Nord, FKA Light Deflection) and it’s a great fit! It comes off as an anthemic song fitting of the title. His light vocals pair well with the airy atmosphere that has slight tinges of disco influence with its quick string runs. It’s a great album closer if you don’t count the bonus track “Closing Titles” which is an orchestral delight that calls back to melodies and motifs found in other songs and expands on them.

One of the cool things here is what makes Hollywood Burns distinct isn’t overused to the point of detriment to his music. It’s somewhat subtle – you don’t hear theremin all over the place, orchestral arrangements are intelligently implemented, tones are varied enough to be fresh. I was able to repeat the record several times in a row without feeling sick of any one element, or the music as a whole. I can even excuse the artist reusing two tracks (“Black Saucers” and “Came to Annihilate”) from his debut EP First Contact because they fit so well here and they’re just wonderful in general. Plus, we get a stellar sequel track to ‘make up’ for it called “Revenge of the Black Saucers”.

I must say, the hype levied against Hollywood Burns is quite palpable, but it is also well deserved. This is to my memory (and taste) the freshest take on the synthwave sound I’ve heard in years. The greats of the genre are where they are because they innovated, but a genre doesn’t move forward without its new artists that are willing to do something different and progressive. With Invaders, that time has come. The aliens are at our doorstep, they want to meet our leader and I, for one, welcome our new alien overlords.

BandCamp link - https://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/invaders    Name Your Price download.

Cheers, Ant.