I’m Calling it……Best ever Australian Album

Guest Sime

Guest Peter the Greek
3 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Only because he caught them at the top of the wave, if you think that. Brian Johnson wouldnt of had a look in if Bon hadn't of died.

I'm not sure the band would have continued with Bon still there, he'd have got LSD (lead singer disease) and the whole thing would have imploded.....I might be wrong of course, this is just me, the humble outsider looking in.

Edit: I came to that view after watching Blood and Thunder (the doco about Alberts)

Edited by Peter the Greek

Meh, instead of my ears I'll use the worlds'

If influencing an entire genre of music is important, then best of lists should include:

The Church - Starfish

The Saints - I'm stranded

AC/DC - TNT

The Easybeats - Easy

The Atlantics - Bombora

Cant say I've heard many bands from overseas mention The Oils as an influence. 

18 minutes ago, Peter the Greek said:

Edit: I came to that view after watching Blood and Thunder (the doco about Alberts)

Yeah, I saw that. Bon did need help. But I have a feeling that if he got it, he'd lose what he was and pull out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, unclemack said:

Not sure if it’s the best ( don’t know how to qualify that accolade) but it’s probably my favourite. fffa0817493690c24f9d89858e9da3ed.jpg

+1. One of the best Australian albums ever produced

Just superb

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frednork said:

Matt Finish- Short Note.  Bare bones production. Great songs. Generally overlooked

I always preferred follow-up album Word Of Mouth myself, but I don't have a copy and it's a bugger to find. Conversely you can get Short Note on CD new for about $7 from JB's.

--Geoff

52 minutes ago, hired goon said:

I always preferred follow-up album Word Of Mouth myself, but I don't have a copy and it's a bugger to find. Conversely you can get Short Note on CD new for about $7 from JB's.

--Geoff

Ah, I havent heard it, will look out for it

17 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Kiwi band.

Edited to add for correctness: Midnight Oil only had kiwi presence from 1987.

Oops. I stand corrected. I always thought Dragon was an Australian band.

It wouldn’t be the first time a kiwi has been claimed as Australian.

• Like 1

I think Born Sandy Devotional by The Triffids is the best Australian record of all time and had a very clear idea of the next dozen or so but after a decade of listening to this it is pushing its way into my favourites at close to the top

Corrina Steele’s Wayward

not only does she have a great voice but she knows how to sing which is not always the case

Best country music or if you are a young person Americana record ever made in Australia 

Some other stuff from this century would be 

Hurstville by Jack Ladder 

Calendar Days by Dick Diver

Shakespeare Hotel by Halfway

Sometimes I Sit and Think Sometimes I Just Sit By Courtney Barnett 

Push The Sky Away Nick Cave

Takes decades of living with a record or band to really know how good they are but these ones I think will be there for me 

image.jpg

• Like 1