My System Today

1 hour ago, sjay said:

Finally got my ARC Ref 3 back from being repaired yesterday and in time to enjoy over the holiday weekend.

y4mDNIjjVeuzEgao3bOpHvC0iUpMp4rHnXB6sC_i

Always nice to get re-acquainted with gear and music. For me it’s listening to some DIY gear just completed or like today some newish gear tweaked. 

1 hour ago, mwhouston said:

Always nice to get re-acquainted with gear and music. For me it’s listening to some DIY gear just completed or like today some newish gear tweaked. 

That is quite true, in my case the pre was broken for a good 5 months before i tried to get it fixed and a few more on top for actual repiar.

Big shout out to Kimil Electronics in Croydon Park for sorting it out for me, Chris knows his stuff and is a certified Audio Research repairer. 

Playing lots of blues today as I dont want to play anything that will tempt me to turn it up and possibly annoy the neighbours 

Edited by sjay
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sjay said:

That is quite true, in my case the pre was broken for a good 5 months before i tried to get it fixed and a few more on top for actual repiar.

Big shout out to Kimil Electronics in Croydon Park for sorting it out for me, Chris knows his stuff and is a certified Audio Research repairer. 

Playing lots of blues today as I dont want to play anything that will tempt me to turn it up and possibly annoy the neighbours 

Chris is genuinely a nice chap indeed. 

Edited by vinilink
  • Like 1

Moved up to North Qld, and just set up the bare basics system. The old Spendors are making vibes listening to ‘Sultans of Swing’ with the iPad as a source. 

4DF60A79-C5DB-4B18-9A54-8C199B2A6DBC.thumb.jpeg.6268ee589b8fce40e8d80e40e080478a.jpeg

Don’t yet know when the 100+kgs of speaker build are going to make it up here. Pretty sure there’ll be some perfect corners for them here though (see my 2020 build if you haven’t already:)). You’ll also notice there aren’t any sofas either...

• Like 7

Everyone on here seems to have such huge grand systems on display but here I am having most of mine tucked away in the cabinet. But I have been slowly making huge upgrades from my early beginnings nearly 18 months ago and none of them would have been possible without any of my friends on SNA - all of whom I am grateful to ?

So here you go:

Turntable: Technics 1200GR with Ortofon Bronze MM.

Phono Pre. amp:  Dynavector MK11 with Blue Jean cabling to Amp.

Amplifier - PS Audio Stella Strata

CD Player - Denon DCD 1015

Speaker Cables from  @Bill125812

and my "babies" (speakers) - Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands ?

Next on the list - still searching for a nice big white, cream or silver fluffy rug for the floor, but one will come along.

I am a fussy female so has to be perfect ?

Photos taken with iPhone and it is making the room look bigger than it actually is, so a little deceiving there.

Most of my audio items are hidden in the cabinet, but shall consider putting "Stellar" on top of the cabinet when I get around to trying it out (looks wise). I am still "redecorating" since upgrading the TV etc. and for now like the clean look anyway.

2..png

1..png

IMG_9167.JPG

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 23
  • Love 6

4 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Everyone on here seems to have such huge grand systems on display but here I am having most of mine tucked away in the cabinet. But I have been slowly making huge upgrades from my early beginnings nearly 18 months ago and none of them would have been possible without any of my friends on SNA - all of whom I am grateful to ?

So here you go:

and my "babies" (speakers) - Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grands

Next on the list - still searching for a nice big white, cream or silver fluffy rug for the floor, but one will come along.

Photos taken with iPhone and it is making the room look bigger than it actually is, so a little deceiving there.

Most of my audio items are hidden in the cabinet, but shall consider putting "Stellar" on top of the cabinet when I get around to trying it out. I am still "redecorating" since upgrading the TV etc. and for now like the clean look anyway.

2..png

1..png

IMG_9167.JPG

Looks great, about time we got some full system photos ?

• Thanks 1

Nice big room, April!  :thumb:

Yes, you need a big, thick rug (to cover all those damn tiles!  :( )

And can you get your'babies' a bit further away from the front wall, when you listen seriously?

Andy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, andyr said:

Nice big room, April!  :thumb:

Yes, you need a big, thick rug (to cover all those damn tiles!  :( )

And can you get your'babies' a bit further away from the front wall, when you listen seriously?

Andy

Yes a rug should help when I find the right one.

Speakers sound pretty perfect exactly where they are, nice centre imaging I think, when watching TV also the sounds is centred so no need for TV centre speaker. I can pull the speakers forward a little if needed. But bear in mind the photo is making the room look huger than it really is ?

I am very happy with the sound of the speakers in their current position. 

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, April Snow said:

So here you go:

Most of my audio items are hidden in the cabinet, but shall consider putting "Stellar" on top of the cabinet when I get around to trying it out (looks wise). I am still "redecorating" since upgrading the TV etc. and for now like the clean look anyway.

2..png

1..png

IMG_9167.JPG

Very nice setup. A big rug will definitely help for sure, it is hard to find ones at reasonable prices. Some of them are crazy prices.

As long as things aren’t getting hot in the cabinet I would leave as is, nice and simple and clutter free. ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, April Snow said:

So here you go:

2..png

1..png

IMG_9167.JPG

April ,

Think about putting white bias lighting behind the tv. It is supposed to improve TV's contrast. I have bought one myself but have not installed them yet .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pops110 said:

Very nice setup. A big rug will definitely help for sure, it is hard to find ones at reasonable prices. Some of them are crazy prices.

As long as things aren’t getting hot in the cabinet I would leave as is, nice and simple and clutter free. ?

So true about rugs, I have been looking at new and on line and preloved as well - but not found the right thing yet - also I like to "feel" the rug because I cannot stand those awful synthetic fabrics that make your skin crawl or look plush but then you can feel the backing. I am very particular with furnishings and also clothing as well. But I will find the right one and happy to pay if it is perfect and fits within a reasonable budget.

There is no heat in the cabinet as it is open backed and Stellar Strata emits low heat (Class D Amp) and it is much cooler in there than when I was running my Marantz NR1200 in the cabinet. I think I like the uncluttered look too but at least I have options now the TV is wall mounted (old one sat on top of the cabinet). 

Thank you for the nice comment ?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gillmaverick said:

April ,

Think about putting white bias lighting behind the tv. It is supposed to improve TV's contrast. I have bought one myself but have not installed them yet .

I have been reading about those too and got some in my Amazon Cart - but just hesitant because to get a 75 inch off the wall to install it might be tricky (and a call to the install Tech might be needed) hahaha ........but I like the idea of it, looks pretty awesome - let me know how you go with yours.

2 hours ago, April Snow said:

So here you go:

2..png

1..png

IMG_9167.JPG

It's refreshing to see and hear about a female perspective on a HiFi system/setup. I wish we had more women appreciating this hobby and participating in the forum. 

Thanks for sharing your setup, those Baby Grand speakers look impressive!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, April Snow said:

So true about rugs, I have been looking at new and on line and preloved as well - but not found the right thing yet - also I like to "feel" the rug because I cannot stand those awful synthetic fabrics that make your skin crawl or look plush but then you can feel the backing. I am very particular with furnishings and also clothing as well. But I will find the right one and happy to pay if it is perfect and fits within a reasonable budget.

There is no heat in the cabinet as it is open backed and Stellar Strata emits low heat (Class D Amp) and it is much cooler in there than when I was running my Marantz NR1200 in the cabinet. I think I like the uncluttered look too but at least I have options now the TV is wall mounted (old one sat on top of the cabinet). 

Thank you for the nice comment ?

A proper thick rug will be as good an upgrade as a component.  Please also consider some acoustic panels behind the tv. You can get them printed with whatever now days. Also like they said, move the speakers out a bit further, it will help develop bass response.

Please do not find our more mature setups imposing, it just means we are either divorced, single or very lucky in life . Most of us have been at this for five year or much more.

Edited by sjay

4 hours ago, April Snow said:

Speakers sound pretty perfect exactly where they are, nice centre imaging I think, when watching TV also the sounds is centred so no need for TV centre speaker. I can pull the speakers forward a little if needed. But bear in mind the photo is making the room look huger than it really is ?

I am very happy with the sound of the speakers in their current position. 

The more you move your spkrs out from the wall ... the more soundstage depth you will get (depth is much harder to achieve than than width-with-a-solid-centre-fill).  :)

4 hours ago, April Snow said:

Yes a rug should help when I find the right one.

A big & thick one like the one that @muon* showed would be great - given your tiled floor.

Andy

• Like 2

A lazy Sunday and enjoying a revised system set-up bought about by upgrading to a Roon Nucleus+ and a PS Audio Perfectwave DirectStream DAC with Bridge II (acquired through SNA Classifieds). To ensure domestic harmony (an enjoyable and important part of this passion) most components have to be neatly out of sight. With the very great assistance of @hedalfa we re-cabled (mostly with Bill’s Cables) and reconfigured the system on Wednesday night. 

DB7249E7-ED6E-4BB8-ACD5-9B8437DDD7CE.jpeg

7E2E1314-DBF6-4BFD-9B5F-5192364A1281.jpeg

FECDC31A-5D9A-4EC9-BA2D-506673616F60.jpeg

068AFA74-FB30-4108-896B-09A5796F1972.jpeg

Edited by KRSDarwin
  • Like 19

14 minutes ago, KRSDarwin said:

A lazy Sunday and enjoying a revised system set-up bought about by upgrading to a Roon Nucleus+ and acquiring a PS Audio Perfectwave DirectStream DAC with Bridge II (acquired through SNA Classifieds). To ensure domestic harmony (an enjoyable and important part of this passion) most components have to be neatly out of sight. With the very great assistance of @hedalfa we re-cabled and reconfigured the system on Wednesday night. 

Very nice mate, looking really good.

Looks like a nice room to sit down, relax and listen to some tunes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KRSDarwin said:

A lazy Sunday and enjoying a revised system set-up bought about by upgrading to a Roon Nucleus+ and a PS Audio Perfectwave DirectStream DAC with Bridge II (acquired through SNA Classifieds). To ensure domestic harmony (an enjoyable and important part of this passion) most components have to be neatly out of sight. With the very great assistance of @hedalfa we re-cabled and reconfigured the system on Wednesday night. 

Not a Roon user but nice setup. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KRSDarwin said:

A lazy Sunday and enjoying a revised system set-up bought about by upgrading to a Roon Nucleus+ and a PS Audio Perfectwave DirectStream DAC with Bridge II (acquired through SNA Classifieds). To ensure domestic harmony (an enjoyable and important part of this passion) most components have to be neatly out of sight. With the very great assistance of @hedalfa we re-cabled and reconfigured the system on Wednesday night. 

What do you think of the DirectStream so far?

11 minutes ago, awayward said:

What do you think of the DirectStream so far?

Very good but not as great a difference over my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ than I thought it might be. I feel the Brooklyn DAC+ was more precise and maybe the DirectStream heads back towards a slightly more analogue sound. 

I am now only using my Oppo BDP-105AU as a transport and I do believe the DirectStream brings out more in my CDs. 

Morning Folks.

I've somehow tripped the protection mode in the Denon, blowing the fuse in the Energy 10.2 sub.  I'm not sure what happened, it was late on Friday night, under herbal influence, and I wasn't paying close attention.

Both auto electricians in town were closed for Easter...  and WW is not the easiest place to obtain most things, on the spot.  So, I've ordered a few of the fuses required from ebay.

I was enjoying the JBL 2 ways & Energy sub...  and intended on keeping that set up for a couple of weeks, at least.

I've now switched to the Mission 782's...  a smaller 3 way, floorstander, with side firing bass.

IMG_2021-04-05-10-08-10-545.jpg.0f4a9eecc75b1a383a71b3d8595bf604.jpg

IMG_2021-04-05-10-06-26-812.jpg.19f0b1f5935fce002e0a7baacb817a14.jpg

Pictured with a newly arrived Umik-1.

These are impressive speakers, very musical and sound wonderful with Vocals & Jazz.

• Like 8