Vinyl - Currently Spinning

9 minutes ago, Bisguittin said:

My parents used to play this on the HMV stereogram when I was just a little tacker.

I don't know where my copy came from, but I also have a Tijuana Christmas album I picked up for a buck or two. I don't remember buying the brass one. Think it came in a stack my dad was given. 

Some of it sounded great, but there was too much crackle and average songs on the rest.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2020 at 12:25 PM, scuzzii said:

First up for today.   Thanks Eric! Top shape and sounding very nice.

The Riverside Japanese releases are very good.

Everybody digs Bill Evans 

20201115_152016.jpg

20201115_152004.jpg

Was more focussed on the wine in this photo Scuzz. Bit concerned about the box cutter though mate. ?

• Like 1

Maceo Parker - Life on Planet Groove (1992)

Live album recorded at a restaurant/cabaret show with 9 tracks spread across two LPs.  I reckon a must have for the funk fans out there ?

IMG_5539.jpg

Edited by 2Brix
  • Like 2

Nothing esoteric here from me. Spun these two yesterday when testing a cheap old Sansui, bought for my daughter who had suddenly asked if I had any turntables she could buy!

I bought the Sansui cheaply at a local hi-fi shop. It has a Shure M75ECS and sounded tolerable when plugged into my system.

JanAkkerman_album.jpeg

Sansui-SR-B200S_top.jpeg

20201120_211628-01.jpeg

• Like 4

Brian Eno, Reflection

I bought the 45rpm so that I have the option of also playing it at 33rpm (which works, indeed it works better, it's on a par with Apollo).

Allegedly Eno wanted it to work that way, kind of a deliberate nod to The Heavenly Music Corporation  / No Pussyfooting...

Meantime started this with Side 2 with its cover of It Ain't Me, Babe, which is the best place to start as Side 1 is full of twee show tunes that hark back to Davy Jones's stage work. It's all very Oliver! and dear old Dad.

Allmusic say "Davy Jones" was only released in the USA which must mean that Australia, where this pressing is from, must be the 51st state of the USA.

R-8059678-1602087414-8624.jpeg.jpg

Decided to follow this with another Davy Jones  so all sorts of connections can be made in this posting. Fripp's guitar still sounds fresh almost forty years later. An excellent album.

R-423056-1479638131-8059.jpeg.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Bisguittin said:

My parents used to play this on the HMV stereogram when I was just a little tacker.

Bloody hell, so did mine.....but our stereogram was a Philips.xD 

I actually quite enjoyed those latin jazz sounds as a kid. What was his name? Herb Alpert!

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, needlerunner said:

Was more focussed on the wine in this photo Scuzz. Bit concerned about the box cutter though mate. ?

A very nice and affordable Gamay from France.  I need a decent box opener, it gets a lot of use each day....  

• Like 2

Guest Old Man Rubber
9 hours ago, stevoz said:

Bloody hell, so did mine.....but our stereogram was a Philips.xD 

I actually quite enjoyed those latin jazz sounds as a kid. What was his name? Herb Alpert!

I have a rack dedicated to the tiny record collection my parents had.  It's funny to be digging through a charity shop bin and find 90% of your parents record collection.  They must have sold a gazillion copies of the Broadway "Camelot" soundtrack, My Fair Lady etc.  Perhaps 2 gazillion copies of the "South Pacific" soundtrack (which Is fantastic if you get a copy that isn't beaten up).  Herb Alpert, some dude called John Gary (who sings and swings and sucks in equal measure), Ferrante and Teicher,   If I had a K-Tel record selector my little collection would be almost complete.

The absolute stand out is "The very best of the Everly Brothers" which I loved when I was a kid and are still one of my favourites.  Those harmonies, even on the worst audio system still give me the chills.

20201121_080546.jpg

People have mentioned stuff being played by parents when they were growing up.

This was on high rotation in my childhood.  Finally got a noise free copy through the week. Spa treatment just now,  pristine...  

Lovely music.

Willie 

20201121_115143.jpg

• Like 7
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, cheekyboy said:

The Wonderful Sounds of Female Vocals - 33rpm 2LP on Analogue Productions/Quality Records. Great collection of female vocals and a terrific recording. Thanks John @scuzzii:thumb:

Wonderful Sounds of Female Vocals.JPG

Wonderful Sounds of Female Vocals back cover.JPG

Its excellent, one of the best sounding compilations I've heard. 

• Like 2

Picked this up from @Ericcklau this morning (and a few other Japanese releases).  Gave it a quick clean (habit, it didn't need one), this is one very good sounding Japanese release of Sgt Peppers. 

Have it cranked a little and foot tapping away.

....  seems to be getting better all the time,

So much better all the time ...

20201121_120839.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, scuzzii said:

Picked this up from @Ericcklau this morning (and a few other Japanese releases).  Gave it a quick clean (habit, it didn't need one), this is one very good sounding Japanese release of Sgt Peppers. 

Have it cranked a little and foot tapping away.

....  seems to be getting better all the time,

So much better all the time ...

20201121_120839.jpg

Glad that you enjoy it. Wow love your setup Luxman phono preamp. 

• Like 2