Jazz: Currently Spinning

Esbjörn Svensson Trio - Good Morning Susie Soho (2000)

Have you heard the Tord Gustavsen Trio on ECM, Marine?

I've heard a lot of praise for this outfit. Have checked out a few "sound bites" on Amazon and have liked what I heard. May pick a few of these up when we head for Canada (west coast) in August.

Have you heard the Tord Gustavsen Trio on ECM, Marine?

I've heard a lot of praise for this outfit. Have checked out a few "sound bites" on Amazon and have liked what I heard. May pick a few of these up when we head for Canada (west coast) in August.

Hi Brumby, Yes I have three Tord Gustavsen albums. I like them a lot also, and I think most people that like one would like the other. There's just something a bit different about E.S.T. the First track from Tuesday Wonderland "Fading Maid Preludium" is a good example, very non-traditional sounding if you get what I mean.

I very much like the two albums from The Neil Cowley Trio, and Curios (a band led by the keyboardist from Acoustic Ladyland). I'm also a big fan of Acoustic Ladyland, but they can be pretty "out there" at times and are probably a bit too punky for some, but I love 'em and have seen them live twice.

To me E.S.T. are that perfect blend of traditional jazz, but with a modern, alternative edge. Hmmm hard to put into words.

Hi Brumby, Yes I have three Tord Gustavsen albums. I like them a lot also, and I think most people that like one would like the other. There's just something a bit different about E.S.T. the First track from Tuesday Wonderland "Fading Maid Preludium" is a good example, very non-traditional sounding if you get what I mean.

I very much like the two albums from The Neil Cowley Trio, and Curios (a band led by the keyboardist from Acoustic Ladyland). I'm also a big fan of Acoustic Ladyland, but they can be pretty "out there" at times and are probably a bit too punky for some, but I love 'em and have seen them live twice.

To me E.S.T. are that perfect blend of traditional jazz, but with a modern, alternative edge. Hmmm hard to put into words.

Hi Marine, I guess you've already seen this news regarding Esbjorn Svensson.

Cheers

CJ

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - Free for All (Thanks Jim)

Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers - A Night in Tunisia

Eleventh House featuring Larry Coryell - if you like Shakti with John M you

may like this.

Cheers,

Field

• Like 1

Field- Always happy to bring man and good jazz together. Hope you are listening to Free For All LOUD! Consider yourself bonafide.

Man, I just read on Audio Circle that Esbjorn Svensson has died in a diving accident. I'm so sorry to be saying that. I read he wasn't but 44 years old.

Today for me it has been

Martin Taylor Spirit of Django (from the Linn delivery)

nice!

Hi

snap! I've just been playing the Linn SACD sampler with Martin Taylor's solo version of Georgia - lovely guitar. Pity I didn't buy in to the package.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

Hi

snap! I've just been playing the Linn SACD sampler with Martin Taylor's solo version of Georgia - lovely guitar. Pity I didn't buy in to the package.

Cheers

Mick

PM Mr HP, he was considering organising a V2 of the buy.

I'm impressed by the Martin Taylor albums as well.

PM Mr HP, he was considering organising a V2 of the buy.

I'm impressed by the Martin Taylor albums as well.

I have three more Martin Taylor SACDs, The Valley is a HYBRID so it can be played on CD players. A good album, personally I'm not mad on the two vocal tracks though.

The other two may be available on CD, but the SACD's are SACD only. They are called "Masterpiece Guitars", a collaboration with another guitaris, STeve Howe, where they use a number of different classic guitars to play parts of each track. The other one is called "Solo". I bough both these from amazon Japan. It seems a number of SACDs are released there (Japan) and not many other places. Note nonoe of these 3 discs are for Linn.

Mick- I missed your post about having gotten Free For All. It's a blast, huh? Very good description, BTW. This little mainstream jazz date came in the mail today, Thomas Marriott- Both Sides of the Fence (Origin). He's a new trumpet player from Seattle with a creamy rich tone. Nice group. Nice music.

Mick- I missed your post about having gotten Free For All. It's a blast, huh? Very good description, BTW. This little mainstream jazz date came in the mail today, Thomas Marriott- Both Sides of the Fence (Origin). He's a new trumpet player from Seattle with a creamy rich tone. Nice group. Nice music.

Hi

Yes thanks JIm, I tried some samples of Thomas Marriott and now I'll have to go & track down a CD. Been playing Sonny Clark's Cool Struttin' tonite - Jackie McLean's alto is something else ( but maybe a bit close to Bird), Paul Chamber's bowed bass wears a bit tho'

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

@Curly Joe - Yes I had just read about that, so was having a tribute day. I hadn't seen that Swedish web site though, so that was cool. I have been to Stockholm many times, and have lots of Swedish friends so it's good to read whats going on. I've been to the Swedish archipelagos once one summer, where Esbjörn was killed, its beautiful there.

Currently listening to:

Esbjörn Svensson Trio - When Everyone Has gone

This was the only E.S.T. album I didn't have (their first album) and strangely I ordered it the week leading up to Esbjörn's death. It arrived today, and sounds good so far.

41MDHAWWHXL._SS500_.jpg

Old school, Mick, Jackie McLean and Sonny Clark. You bad! I got Let Freedom Ring by JM. The best I know of him. Very soon, I'm checking out EST. Also, I really need to collect a bunch of stuff I've got in storage. Never cataloged it. Don't know what all is there. Should be fun if I can find a place to put it. Keep em coming!

Hi

Music without frontiers is having a sale. It's Hobart's best music store, and I think probably one of the best in Australia for hard to get classical, jazz and rock (not much SACD tho'). I went in today and bought a few, which I'm currently working my way through - 2 Martin Taylors, Ellington and Sinatra, Rachelle Ferrell - Montreaux 1992 -97 and Mark O'Connor swing Trio w Jane Monheit and Winton Marsalis - all good stuff so far - the recording quality on Edward K and Francis A is excellent.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

Hi

Just been listening to Joe Henderson's 4 CD set of the Blue Note years - he's got 2 versions of Isotope on there which nicely contrast his earlier and later blowing styles.

Cheers

Mick

• Like 1

I'm listening to: Norah Jones - Come Away with Me.

First time I have listened to Norah, picked up the cd for 9.99 from the jazz

section at JB - thought I'd give her a whirl.

Is it really jazz? maybe borderline. On occasion her voice has abit of a country'ish twang to it, but for the most part, she's sultry.

I like her, am enjoying it.