Bunnings. 112 strand speaker cable.

2 minutes ago, Peter_F said:

How does adding another bottleneck in the chain will increase performance? 

I think you misattributed that quote to me. The only improvement from a properly terminated cable is function and convenience. Any difference is so miniscule that it is not worth talking about. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keith_W said:

I think you misattributed that quote to me. The only improvement from a properly terminated cable is function and convenience. Any difference is so miniscule that it is not worth talking about. 

it’s the difference in materials used, the argument is that it has to be copper and not brass….   Understandingly brass has a higher impedance.  

I just find it disappointing that a myth as thoroughly debunked as this still has traction in 2024. Anyway, I am out of here. I don't think I can contribute anything that hasn't already been said thousands of times already, and I know full well I won't convince anybody. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, andyr said:

Wow, Drew - we are really getting into "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" territory, here!!  :shocked:

Yes - absolutely ... "what I think I know that sounds good".  That's the only reference that concerns me.  :lol:  Well - and what my friends say, after I've bribed them with fine wine and cheese when they come round for a listen.  :shocked:

9 hours ago, andyr said:

I disagree - I don't think my findings are flawed at all.  To paraphrase 'the Red Queen' ... my findings are whatever I want them to be!  :lol:

To me it's such a shame that so many of you guys are so against running some informal blind tests to see how your sighted impressions stack up when you don't know which cable you are listening too.  It would truly make for a much more interesting set of discussions.  I've got 10 plus different brands and types of speaker cables here, and I've trialled them extensively under blind conditions.  

Edited by POV

23 minutes ago, POV said:

To me it's such a shame that so many of you guys are so against running some informal blind tests to see how your sighted impressions stack up when you don't know which cable you are listening too.  It would truly make for a much more interesting set of discussions.  I've got 10 plus different brands and types of speaker cables here, and I've trialled them extensively under blind conditions.  

Apprently, red wine and cheese does the trick. 😉

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Keith_W said:

Oh, so what does improperly terminated speaker cable sound like? 

Very much depends on the amplifier and speaker, as most of the effect can be seen (for example on an impedance vs frequency) at very very high frequencies.   In some cases it might not sound like anything, I guess.   Depends on on the amp.

On 25/1/2024 at 9:17 AM, playdough said:

Olex Australia Cable makers have a 4mm2, 4 core multi stranded copper core flex. It's about six dollars per meter. 3 phase plus earth.

Seems to work well, is highly flexible and durable, compatible with Neutrix plugs and a tinned end terminates well at a 5 way speaker binding post.

Great for complex multi way active systems, bi amplifier wiring and so on.

And great for running under the lounge room floor for a pair of rear speakers.

3 hours ago, POV said:

Aah, Drew - your post illustrates the difference between us.  :smile:

To me - life is too short to:

• eat crap food (like McDonalds/KFC)
  • drink crap wine
  • and spend time going through the process of 'testing things' ... when you could be just enjoying listening to music.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, andyr said:

• drink crap wine
  • and spend time going through the process of 'testing things' ... when you could be just enjoying listening to music.

100%........ enjoy every sandwich

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, andyr said:

• drink crap wine

I dont recommend you eat McDonalds/KFC......we are too young and intelligent....😃

7 hours ago, andyr said:

• drink crap wine

Ah….but testing your perceptions is brilliant entertainment!  It’s something I look forward to and enjoy immensely, especially when you get a few mates involved and listen to some great tunes whilst doing it.

BTW one of my best mates does blind testing in the wine industry for a living and running some blind taste testing on wine is also great fun and always yields sone fascinating results!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/1/2024 at 2:32 PM, bob_m_54 said:

OK, so it's your subjective experience. No actual scientific reason why 6mm² wire will be "too thick for good signal transmission".

And many strands of insulated 24g wires per conductor isn't in keeping with "solid-core cable concept", if anything it's more akin to the "Litz wire concept"

the issue with subjective experience is that it’s a decision for the day, and what happens during that day, drinking red wine and having cheese etc.   Subjectively can change the following day as you decide to smoke weed or take some prescription medicine…😂

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

58 minutes ago, muon* said:

Easy, don't drink, don't smoke weed or use any other mood altering substances.

A great idea.

If your system doesn't sound good until you have consumed half a bottle of whiskey then if must be sadly lacking and due for an upgrade

13 hours ago, rantan said:

A great idea.

If your system doesn't sound good until you have consumed half a bottle of whiskey then if must be sadly lacking and due for an upgrade

Agree, but some people develop what I call bias selective hearing….🤣.    
And because our hearing naturally degrades with age, who do you trust? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/03/2024 at 6:58 AM, Addicted to music said:

Agree, but some people develop what I call bias selective hearing….🤣.    
And because our hearing naturally degrades with age, who do you trust? 

Plus, if you have excess alcohol, you will find your sense of hearing dulled and experience a compression affect leading to less enjoyment.

(Happens between 8 and 12 beers for me)

How about someone send the cables to Amir of Audio Science  to test,  telling him that the original cost was in the thousands.....

His report will  sort out the debate

55 minutes ago, Honreekea said:

How about someone send the cables to Amir of Audio Science  to test,  telling him that the original cost was in the thousands.....

His report will  sort out the debate

I doubt that would achieve anything worthwhile.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1